The Best FPS Ever . . . so far.

The Consequence

Aug 21, 2010
Well, with the news of Halo 4 coming out, and a personal recent obsession with playing Kill Zone 2 and 3, I thought back to how I loved playing Half-life, and Doom before that, and a whole slew of other FPS's. And simply asked myself, what is the best First Person Shooter to ever come out, so far. This question I couldn't decide the answer. Perhaps you can.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
It'll be impossible to come to a consensus you realize. Of modern shooters, I really have a hard time picking which one is my favorite, so I'll jump back a generation. Halo 2 is probably the FPS that stuck with me the longest, even though I never owned an Xbox.

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
Call of Duty 4, at least of the games I've played. Killzone 2 and 3 are good as well, so good taste for you.

Edit: Resistance Fall of Man gets a special mention for having an imaginative setting, bad guys, and weapons.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Impossible to determine. People have their preferences. Besides, the best in what? I love Half-Life and HL2 but they wouldn't be my pick them over Unreal Tournament when it comes to multiplayer experience. Weapons, story, characters, freedom - what exactly should we judge a game on?

DTH1337

Feb 27, 2012
I would probably have to say Half-Life 2, Timesplitters: Future Perfect and Bioshock.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Doom/Doom II. Even after nearly 20 years no other FPS delivers the kind of fast paced run and gun action that Doom does to perfection, and given the way the genre has evolved it's doubtful any ever will.

If I were to pick a more recent title (relatively), then STALKER: SoC.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Halo: Combat Evolved. At least it's my personal favorite.

Sure, I've got plenty of games that I like more than Halo: CE. Hell, I've got FPSs that I objectively like more that Halo: CE (Bioshock, for instance). But subjectively? Halo was what got my impressionable young self back into serious gaming. I'd play multiplayer with my older brother's friends (since I was an 11-year-old girl and none of my friends were interested in gaming at all), play through the campaign mode... later, I'd go to LAN parties with friends... and, overall, I was immersed. It's definitely the FPS experience that's stuck with me the most. And, hell, it spawned a huge franchise. It must have done something right, hm?

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Borderlands - Why? Well simply put it's just the most fun to pick up and play. It's got a seemingly timeless artstyle and great sense of humour. The Diablo style item system provides great incentive to keep coming back.

Half-life 2 being the runner-up.

Resistance Fall of Man, COD:MW1 and GoldenEye get a special mention.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
My favourite FPS games are Half Life 2 and the Serious Sam series

Westaway

Nov 9, 2009
CoD 4 and CSS are the best, there isn't really much debate over that, I think. Best third person? Transformers War for Cybertron, followed by Gears of War 1.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Half-Life 2 + Episodes (because I can never decide if I like Episode 2 more or as much as HL2).

(Since it's bound to come up a lot...) I find CoD 4 pretty insipid. I do rate the original pretty highly, though (because Hipster, obviously).

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well that depends. Single-player or Multi-player (or overall)?

Single-player: Probably the Half-Life series. It's rare that I play any game more than once but I've played through HL 1 - HL Episode 2 twice through. SWAT 4 would be a very close second...actually, scratch that. SWAT 4 is the best!

Multi-player: Call of Duty: MW3. I like the new system that they have with kill-streaks and it's what my buddies play.

Overall: Call of Duty: MW3 still. I've sunk the most time into it (and BloPs before that...and MW2 before that...and World at War before that...and so on). It will probably continue this way until my buddies decide to play something else, since they're kind of the only reason I play these games.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Every FPS I play these days I always feel like there's somethingwrong with it. Either some of the guns don't work, or the game is heavily in favour of one play style or whatever.
The only FPS where I can't remember this being the case is Unreal Tournament 2004, I only remember it being really, REALLY fun.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
That's easy. Timesplitters: Future Perfect. It has an incredibly fun multiplayer and singleplayer, co-op, incredibly fun (and some very challenging) challenge modes and leagues, a large variety of weapons and characters and great humour.

If Crytek UK do decide to do Timesplitters 4 and they make it like Call of Duty I destroy them and devour their souls! Or just go into a corner with some cookie dough ice cream and cry manly tears.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Anthraxus said:

I find mainstream military shooters boring and laughable after playing this.
This man is correct. For a more up to date game (in regards to graphics and military technology) ArmA2: Combined Arms is a good alternative, but the overall feel is nowhere near as good as this blocky masterpiece from 2001.

Apr 28, 2008
Timesplitters 2/Future Perfect

The games are pure, condensed fun. Out of the two I'd pick Timesplitters 2, but that's personal preference. Both are the best ever in my eyes.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
TF2 there's a reason I've put over 1100 hours on it.Single player would go to Bioshock or Halflife.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Unreal Tournament, simply because it can be almost anything you want it to be through modded content which you can get by the freaking truckload for UT/UT2004. A lot of other shooters are also pretty darn good but since UT can just copy anything into itself, it kinda makes everything obsolete.