The best PS2 games.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
I recently started riding an emu because I was bored, and because my memory is bad and suffers from lapses I was wondering what were the best PS2 games ever created. I've already got a couple that I remember being good, but would like to know what everyone else thinks is good.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
That's a pretty hard list...
*looks over at MASSIVE collection*

Um...Skygunner?

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Tanis said:
That's a pretty hard list...
*looks over at MASSIVE collection*

Um...Skygunner?
Yes, thats why i'm asking which ones are the memorable/good ones. That list of titles is just absolutely massive...

NinjaSniperAssassin

Sep 19, 2012
Persona 3 + 4
Nocturne
The Ratchet and Clank series
The Jak series
Resident Evil 4
Final Fantasy 12
Persona 3 + 4 (Yes, again. They are that good.)

Obviously there are tons, these are just the ones I had the most fun with.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
GTA San Andreas
The Sly Cooper trilogy

Them be getting me vote!

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
War Of The Monsters - Rampage in 3D, but a fighting game, sort of. Surprisingly good game.

I posted this list recently, fits here as well.
This is a list of some 'lesser know gems:

PS2:
(Naval Ops Series) Warship Gunner 2:
Think Armored Core (but not as fucking slow, most of the time) with page after page after page of upgrades and ships types.
Play as everything from some little Currier to a submarine to an Aircraft Carrier and a story that's ripped out of the Ace Combat games, and you've got one of the most under looked games on the PS2.
The sales of this game were just plan shameful.

Baroque:
While this game does nothing to prepare you and, lets face it, the story you pretty much accidentally bump into, that's one of the reason you keep coming back. A tower that never seems to end, great character and monster designs, haunting music, difficulty that goes from a walk in the park to a walk in the hurricane, this game is just an odd kind of fun.
A total throwback to dungeon crawlers like Diablo or Planscape: Torment, no game is ever exactly the same.
Add to it the fact that dieing actually makes you progress, and you've got one weird but fun game.

Dropship: United Peace Force:
One of the odder games I've come across (and that's saying something) you play as well a..dropship that carries your other ships into combat and spy missions. With game play that goes from 'Ace Combat' to 'Tank Battle', there's really a variety of ways to complete missions and fun to be had.
My biggest issue with this game is that the level are too damn long and while there are check points, they don't really help if you just want a quick play.

Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex:
A GOOD anime based game? What the fuck, am I right?
While not the best game in the world, the simple fact that this game is not total shit (SEE: GitS on the PSP) and has a GREAT 4 player multi-player mode with a decent story, great graphics, and controls that actually work, some really good weapons and combat, this is one of my favorite anime based games out there.

Giants: Citizen Kabuto:
You play as a drunk alien British mercenary, a naked water chick, and a huge fucking dinosaur like thing. What's not to love?
A game that never seems to take itself to seriously (SEE: Most lines of dialogue in the game), some great game play that differs from each storyline (or creature class), plus some really fun run and kill game play, and you've got an over looked gem.

Gitaroo Man (Also on PSP):
Gain a magical guitar, fight a baby demon in the tutorial and proceed to fight (with the power of music) skeletons and evil alien keyboards and you've got one of the quirkiest rhythm music games on the PS2.
One big issue is that when you pause the game on a song you HAVE TO replay from the start, this has been fixed in the PSP port of the game (thank fucking god).

God Hand :
Insane 2D beat-em-up but 3D, genuinely funny moments and ball busting difficulty.
Add some of the best music in a game, with an amazing replay value and a custom combo maker and you've pretty much got the new school answer to Double Dragon or Battletoads...but without the shitty racing stages.

Gundam: Zeonic Front:
Yeah, yeah I know...A gundam game, underrated or Under appreciated? What the hell am I smoking, right?
Well, guess what, you'd be wrong. This is the Gundam game for people who don't really like...well...Gundam games.
A tactical third person shooter (SEE: SOCOM) with mechs, this is one of those weird games were even people I know who don't give a crap/like Gundam (or anime for that matter) seem to enjoy this game.
While not the most complex or long game of its kind, there's something surreal about leading a group of 5 Zaku like you're a freaking general into the fray as if this were SOCOM or a online team up of some random FPS.

A few others I'm too lazy to write up:
Klonoa 2
Okage: Shadow King
Oni
Psychonauts
Red Faction 1
Samurai Western
Shadow Of Destiny
Skygunner
Soul Nomad & The World Eaters
Sub Rebellion
TransFormers
VCL Presents: Motor Mayhem
Whiplash
Wizardry: Tale Of The Forsaken Land
Wrath: Unleashed
Zone Of The Enders 2: The 2nd Runner

K84

Feb 15, 2010
My personal faves, mon excuse for repeating other people's choices:

- Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
- Resident Evil 4
- GodHand
- Viewtiful Joe
- Devil May Cry 1 and 3
- GTA: San Andreas (still beats IV)
- Beyond Good and Evil
- Prince Of Persia: Sands of Time
- X-Men Legends II (yeah...it's a fun party game)

Wait up!
Tanis said:
Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex:
A GOOD anime based game? What the fuck, am I right?
While not the best game in the world, the simple fact that this game is not total shit (SEE: GitS on the PSP)
*salutes*
I also thoroughly enjoyed this game, while not perfect, it was indeed fun.

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Ones that haven't been mentioned;

Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Contracts
Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Silent Hill 2
Silent Hill 3
Silent Hill 4: The Room

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
I find a massive lack of Persona games on these lists... disturbing.

Seriously, only ONE other person decided to stick Persona 3 and 4 on here?!

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Ratchet and Clank 1-3
Jak and Daxter 1-3
Sly Cooper 1-3
God of war 1 and 2
Shadow of the Collosus
Prince of Persia Sands of time (the sequels are alright too)
Need for Speed Underground 2 and Most Wanted
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks (most fun I've had in Co-op)
Quite a random one here but a game I had a lot of fun with was Cell Damage.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Persona 4 is definitely top of the list.
Devil May Cry 3
Metal Gear Solid 3
The GTAIII trilogy
and Persona 3 are also great candidates.

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
Man, Daystar ain't gonna be happy it tok 12 post for Okami to get a mention :p

I personally can't add to the list, because only PS2 games I played were PC ports. Still DMC3 was awesome even though its keyboard controls made my hands hurt after half an hour and you need Xpadder to play it on a controller.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
jebara said:
Persona 4 is definitely top of the list.
... as we can tell from your avatar. Man, that comic was awesome. I think I'm going to rewatch the dub again. (It is from the Hiimdasy Comic, right?)
Anyway, any of the SMT games on the PS2, which is Nocturne, Personas 3+4, and Digital Devil Saga 1+2. The persona games are particularly good.

Reece Borgars

Feb 10, 2012
Ratchet Gladiator. It was pretty short and the plot was flimsy at best, but it made sense and was pretty hilarious. also THE GUNS!!!! *orgasms*

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
no love for Disgaea? anyway, that one, and it's sequel.
Kingdom hearts 1&2. i'm surprised these haven't been mentioned yet either.
the Xenosaga series, .Hack series, Star Ocean TTEoT; i can imagine why they haven't been mentioned, but they're good too.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
uchytjes said:
I recently started riding an emu because I was bored, and because my memory is bad and suffers from lapses I was wondering what were the best PS2 games ever created. I've already got a couple that I remember being good, but would like to know what everyone else thinks is good.
Nobody on The Escapist seems to like driving games, but I thought Gran Turismo 4 was cool because it supported 1080i (on a PS2!!!) with widescreen, which was pretty much at the end of new PS2 game production. Pretty much the same for Shadow of the Colossus. I think that had a 'smoothing' and widescreen option.

At the risk of me derailing the thread, what will you do if your PS2 dies? Will you try and replace it? My BC PS3 died years ago and I'm considering paying $50 for a refurb, but who knows how long that will last. Damn, and I never got to finish Oni.

Worst off is my original XBox. Poor thing sounds like a weasel.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
FizzyIzze said:
Nobody on The Escapist seems to like driving games, but I thought Gran Turismo 4 was cool because it supported 1080i (on a PS2!!!) with widescreen, which was pretty much at the end of new PS2 game production.
I just booted it up to check out 1080i and it didn't have an option for it. :S Is yours NTSC or PAL? and where abouts is the option for 1080i?

OT: Can't go wrong with Zone of the Enders 1/2, Kingdom Hearts 1/2, MGS 2/3, and the Dragonball Z Budokai games.