The Best RPGs For The Playstation 3

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Well since you've mentioned Ni No Kuni, I'm playing it currently, and I would definitely recommend. A very enjoyable game =D
Chalk another one up for Ni No kuni . I'm curently playing it and i love it so far .

Also try : 3D dot game heros . It's kinda like zelda with minecraft graphics , very fun game .

Valkyria chrinicals is very good if you like Sjrpgs . As well as Disgaea 3/4 but those are grind heavy .

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Tom_green_day said:
Wouldn't this title be best changed to 'Best JRPGs For the PS3' since you seem to prefer them?
I don't know many, but if you decided to give WRPGs a go buy the Mass Effect series, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas.
I prefer JRPGs, yes... but, there is another reason. Most of the JRPGs are only released for the consoles, whereas most WRPGs are also released for the PC, meaning I have already played most WRPGs. I bought a PS3 to get those exclusive (and elusive) JRPGs, I haven't had a change to play.

The games you mentioned have all been released for the PC and I have already played all of them.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I'll add another vote to both Valkyria Chronicles and Ni No Kuni. Although I kinda see the former as more of a TBS with both third person shooter and RPG elements. But hey, that's just me.

And if you can, definitely download Final Fantasy IX from the PSN store. Awesome awesome game.

RyQ_TMC

Apr 24, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I don't want to try the Atelier games, but anyone know how White Knight Chronicles turned out? I guess that's the other big PS3 JRPG exclusive
I wouldn't recommend WKC. Gameplay is average at best, the story is meh and they made a really bad decision to have the PC be a silent observer of the plot. It's especially grating since all the other characters are voiced and usually have a lot to say... But then, mid-cutscene, the game will cut to the PC making a face or whatever. I just never got involved with Leonard.

Another problem is that the characters are very poorly defined. Sure, they have personalities, but you can give them any combination of skills (same available to all) and they all look the same in armour. Overall, a disappointment.

OT: I was going to say Valkyria Chronicles, but everybody and their dog already had. Come to think of it, there aren't that many PS3 exclusives in the genre.

That Annoying Guy

Feb 21, 2012
In my opinion you should go with Tales of Graces f, it's quite amusing and fleshed out. Besides, Tales of Xillia is coming out in August.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Ok I was wondering what everyone was going to pick as I havent played many good JRPGS on the PS3 or this gen really I tend to stick with the PS2 I would even go as far as saying most RPGs have disappointed me this gen but ofc there are always exceptions.

First off get Valkyria Chronicles and play it personally I would say its a strategy game yeah you can upgrade stuff but you can do that in a lot of strategy games regardless of what you want to say it is there is one thing for certain its an amazing game.

Theres Demons souls which was fun
Disgaea 4

And thats about it I have tried quite a few others and got enjoyment out of them but thats about it for ones I would recommend that are exclusive but I certainly havent tried all the games so its very possible I have missed out on some greats.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Dark souls and Demons souls.

You will buy these two games, without fail mister or you're grounded.

Maeshone

Sep 7, 2009
As a relative noob when it comes to JRPGs, I'd have to throw in another vote for Valkyria Chronicles. It's absolutely brilliant in my opinion, and it's definately my current favourite JRPG (That might change though as me and my friend are about to spend the weekend playing Persona 3 FES which I've heard nothing but good things about)

As for other RPGs for the PS3, I'm afraid I can't help much. I'm mainly a 360 gamer due to a preference for the controller, and as such I mostly play exlcusives on the PS3. And there really aren't that many exclusive RPGs I've played, since most of them are JRPGs and I just recently started playing that genre seriously.

But anyway, Valkyria Chronicles, really awesome! Definately worth a playthrough.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
yesbag said:
bold = exclusive to PS3

Tales of Graces F
You missed one. Tales of Graces may be on the Wii, but Tales of Graces f is not and is PS3 exclusive. If you're aiming to play the Wii version, I hope you can read Japanese.

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon's Dogma
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Mugen Souls
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
Tales of Graces f
White Knight Chronicles II
(comes with remastered copy of original WKC on the disc)

Those would be my recommendations. Carrying on in the same manner as the poster I quoted, PS3 exclusives are in bold.

Raine_sage

Sep 13, 2011
Wow the above two posts pretty much covered everything, but if you didn't pick it up for the PS2 I'd also recommend Odin Sphere from the digital download shop. Gorgeous game, fun combat, really hard boss fights but otherwise a lot of fun.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
What about some of the other PS3 exclusives? Infamous 1 & 2 were great games, and I enjoyed them much more than Prototype 1 & 2. The God of War games are amazing for combat and story. Uncharted is a great modern take on Indiana Jones.

Also with the HD remakes of Ratchet & Clank (my personal favourite), Sly Cooper (also great fun), and the upcoming Kingdom Hearts 1.5, there are some great games that aren't just RPGs.

Though I would recommend Kingdoms of Amalur as an RPG, fluid combat, colourful areas other than some other RPGs I could point at, great lore and the Island of Dead Kel DLC has the best player housing quest I have seen in a very long time.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
4RM3D said:
I've finally bought a PS3. I needed a 3D blu-ray player and because I love RPGs, buying a PS3 was inevitable.

Anyhow, there are quite a lot of PS3 RPG games out there. Not sure which one to start with. Any suggestions?
I was thinking of starting with Tales of Graces or Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.

Few things to bear in mind:

- If the RPG has also been released for the PC or Xbox 360, I've already played it. But feel free to mention it nonetheless, if you think it's (one of) the best.

- My RPG peference is: JRPG (e.g. Tales series) > Tactical RPG (e.g. Disgaea) > WRPG (e.g. Skyrim)

- A good story, fleshed out characters and an interesting world setting are important to me.

PS. Not sure if this belongs in the Advice Forum. I feel it's more like a gaming discussion.
Get Tales of Graces, it's worth it. I also see you're European so here:
http://www.talesofgame.com/uk.html# You can check Netherlands in the options. I know little of this game since I am always going in blind on Tales games, but it's the highest rated Tales game in Japan and it's followed by Tales of Graces F. If you like Tales of then you will most likely like Graces (the reason I got a PS3) and I am really looking forward to Xillia.
Exius Xavarus said:
yesbag said:
bold = exclusive to PS3

Tales of Graces F
You missed one. Tales of Graces may be on the Wii, but Tales of Graces f is not and is PS3 exclusive. If you're aiming to play the Wii version, I hope you can read Japanese.

Dark Souls
Demon's Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Dragon's Dogma
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Mugen Souls
Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
Tales of Graces f
White Knight Chronicles II
(comes with remastered copy of original WKC on the disc)

Those would be my recommendations. Carrying on in the same manner as the poster I quoted, PS3 exclusives are in bold.
I'd like to add that the "F" part of Graces F is really quite an upgrade compared to the original version so it's more than a port so I agree that it can be called an exclusive title.

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
Yopaz said:
I'd like to add that the "F" part of Graces F is really quite an upgrade compared to the original version so it's more than a port so I agree that it can be called an exclusive title.
Indeed. The f on the end of the title stands for the Future Arc, a.k.a. Lineage & Legacies. At the very least, 10+ hours worth of additional content(also, the Wii version never made it outside of Japan). That alone is why I call it PS3 exclusive. :p I was also gonna recommend Tales of Vesperia for PS3, but then I remembered how upset I am that there are no plans to localize the PS3 version. ._.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Yopaz said:
Exius Xavarus said:
Indeed. The f on the end of the title stands for the Future Arc, a.k.a. Lineage & Legacies. At the very least, 10+ hours worth of additional content(also, the Wii version never made it outside of Japan). That alone is why I call it PS3 exclusive. :p I was also gonna recommend Tales of Vesperia for PS3, but then I remembered how upset I am that there are no plans to localize the PS3 version. ._.
Seriously, WTF is going on with the Tales series? Or specifically the release of the series.

The 1st (next-gen) Tales game 'Tales of Vesperia'
- Released for the Xbox 360 world wide
- Improved rerelease for the PS3 Japan exclusive

The 2nd Tales game 'Tales of Graces'
- Released for the Wii Japan exclusive
- Improved rerelease for the PS3 world wide

The 3rd Tales game 'Tales of Xillia'
- Released for the PS3 world wide

The 4th Tales game 'Tales of Xillia 2'
- Released for the PS3 Japan only (for now)

Why is Vesperia first released for the Xbox 360 and then PS3 Japan exclusive while the rest got released on the PS3?
Why is Graces (first) released on the Wii?

It doesn't make sense. Stick with a platform dammit. >_<

Exius Xavarus

May 19, 2010
4RM3D said:
Because Bamco's being stupid. Probably not bothering to localize VesperiaPS3 because they released the original Vesperia on a console that isn't JRPG friendly and didn't sell so well. What bothers me more than their schizophrenic release schedule is their ABYSMAL localization speed. It should not take upwards of 2 years to localize a single title. >_> Japan got Xillia 2 BEFORE we even got Xillia 1. That's kinda ridiculous. If we're hoping to get Xillia 2, it won't be at least until halfway to 2015, if not in 2015.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
How dare there only be 2 mentions of Nier in this topic. Sure, its not a PS3 exclusive, but its really awesome (if depressing at times). Plus New Game + adds more to the story, making it even more depressing! Good game, although I don't recall it being particularly difficult (can't remember if it had multiple difficulty modes though).

Everyone has pretty much talked about Tales (Never played any sadly, always wanted to), Ni No Kuni (Looked a bit generic/cliche to me, not that that's a necessarily bad trait), and Valkyria Chronicles (I loved this a lot) which seem like good picks. I'd recommend Final Fantasy 13, but that's a real love it or hate it type of game, although many like its sequel apparently (I personally found it to be pretty average, while I found 13 to be above average). Guessing you might have played this on the 360 or whatnot.

White Knight Chronicles is supposed to be at least decent, and if you buy the sequel, it comes with the first game as well. I only tried it once for about 20 minutes and didn't like the combat, but it looked interesting. You also have Demons/Dark Souls, but I've heard the difficulty in those can be quite up there. I've only played a bit of Demons Souls, and while I found combat to be annoying, it was also rewarding.

If you haven't played Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy X, those are going to be remastered in HD for PS3. Not exactly new or anything, but they are RPGs at least. Kingdom Hearts is supposed to come out fall of this year, so that's pretty close.

But seriously, go get Nier, and play it at least twice to get the full experience. I really love it, and feel its an underrated gem. =(

thatguy1

Mar 1, 2010
For a PS1 classic The Legend of Dragoon is a JRPG that will change your life if you haven't played it already.