The best Survival Horror Game out there.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
To me it's a tie between Dead Space and Resident Evil 3, both which I have not beat. I have not beat Dead Space because I barrowed it from a friend and RE3 is because I recently got it but it scares the piss out of me, well more of Nemesis scares me. Plus the noises and music in the games give me a sense of terror like I should look behind me, so I do, and realize nothing was there. Only to have a monster kill me from behind where I was facing before, or in the case of RE3 Nemesis jumping through the window right next to me. -shutters- So I want to know which is your favorite survival horror game and which you think deserves the title best?

BLAHwhatever

Aug 30, 2011
Resident Evil: Code Veronica is my favorite.
Though my very first night in Minecraft was f***ing scary. Damn Zombie moaning outside my two tile minicabin built of dirt. I panicked so much, I even thought: "man, this dirtwalls won't stop 'em, I'll go out there and run for the lake." Aaaaaaaaaaah. I acted like a dumbass in a cheap horror b-movie

Amnesia is really good at what it does and I beat the game after half a year. But I didn't really ENJOY it. It was a thing I had to do, kinda. To show myself I could. Damn that shit was horrifying

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Silent Hill 2, hands down. Not only is it one of the scariest, but it's also got way more depth in its story than most other horror games.

ChanTheNoob

Dec 6, 2011
It's between Silent Hill 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I just don't find Dead Space or Resident Evil games to be scary to be honest

Mossberg Shotty

Jan 12, 2013
Pretty much what's already been said. Probably Amnesia, with Silent Hill 2 as an honorable mention.

But on that note, A Machine For Pigs is coming out before too long, and it looks damn scary.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I still love jumping into S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat for a sandbox scare, although I haven't played much recently. I don't think I can comment on a best, I'm a bit out of touch/ lacking experience/ have a dead PS3 and a wonky PC.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
So much Silent Hill 2, and I dun geddit. Silent Hill 1 and 3 were way better in terms of "horror". Heck, I liked Silent Hill 4 better than Silent Hill 2, because at least I LIKED Eileen! Silent Hill 2 was by far the least "scary", and it doesn't even top the third one in terms of atmosphere.

Other unpopular opinions: I also prefer Penumbra to Amnesia, because the setting was more desolate and grim (even if Clarence tried his best to muck it up). Also, when it comes to pure desperation, nothing will EVER beat "SCP Security Breach".

Werewolfkid

Nov 1, 2012
The Last of Us is a great survival horror game even though most horror fans would write off as action adventure with horror elements. But, Amnesia the Dark Descent is one game that truly enraptures the player in the elements of survival horror and Dead Space 2 comes so close to creating a perfect blend of action and horror that it hurts.

Lygus

Apr 7, 2013
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl hands down. A complex sandbox game with a living devastated, realistic, and horrifying world like no other.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Silent Hill 2 and 3, Fatal Frame 2, and Amnesia top my list
I couldn't tell you which is the scarier one though since they all deal with different types of horror

Silen Hill = psychological
Fatal Frame = oggy boogie GHOSTS!
Amnesia = dread of the unknown and being defenseless

Resident Evil never really did much for me, a couple of jump scares here and there but I would agree with OP that 3 gave that awful feeling of always being followed and always being watched. A lot of times IO felt like I needed to run literally from nothing :( also I was 14 at the time so I would scare easily maybe if I replay it it's not as scary

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Amnesia is great, looking forward to A Machine for Pigs. Silent Hill 2 is great for it's story and I personally love Resi 2, it's such a classic. I wouldn't say Dead Space was 'survival horror', personally.

zombiejoe

Sep 2, 2009
Silent Hill 2 will always hold a special place in my heart.

But the best horror game I've played in a while...it would have to be "Misadventure"

It's a game about a game within a game, it it has some great innovative ideas for horror.

Also
it's a game on Newgrounds

[link]http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/617863[/link]

If you call yourself a horror game fan, you gotta try this out.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Silent Hill 2 is really good, has some of the best characterisation I've ever seen in a game and is a brilliant experience, though 3 is superior in terms of symbolism, protagonist (aheh, heh, heh) and atmosphere. In fact, any of the original four Silent Hill games.

I'd say Amnesia too, popular opinion I know and it's likely been explained by now by others.

I'd even say Slender: The Eight Pages, not because it's "good" or anything but it's good for a brief spell of fear and oppression.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
That's a tough choice but I'd have to go with Silent Hill 2. I played it for the first time about three years ago and it blew my mind. I have NEVER been more immersed in a game before than when I (or James - I literally felt like the character by that point) arrived at that hotel. I could go on and on about how perfect that whole chapter is.

Single scariest moment in my 25 years of gaming is facing the Librarians in Metro 2033, although I'm not sure if I'd call that a survival horror game, same goes with Condemned: Criminal Origins, which also has few ridiculously scary moments (FUCK THAT BASEMENT OF THE HOUSE!!! 8 years later and I still can't go down there without freaking out).

The Resident Evil remake on GCN is also a strong contender.

I've never played a Fatal Frame game, but I want to. Isn't there supposed to be an HD collection coming at some point?

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
Silent Hill 2 is my all-time favourite game. But it's not the game I find the scariest.
For that, I'd go with Amnesia or Fatal Frame. I consider myself fairly well versed in horror games, and those two have terrified me like no others.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Dead Space.

No games really scare me any more (though when I was younger RE's scared the crap out of me, I guess I too old for it), of course a few have still managed to shock me with "pop outs" (including Dead Space).

But Dead Space at least managed to get and keep me unnerved even if it couldn't get me all the way to scared.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silent Hill 2 all the way. It was the first SH game I played and arguably one of the first survival horrors I played. It set my personal standards of what a horror game should strive for, and nary a game has met them. To me, it's the perfect combo of storytelling and gameplay.