The Best/Worst of the New 52

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
First off.,why isn't there a separate forum area for Comics and Cosplay, and for Table top, Science and Tech, and Movies and TV for that matter? Off-topic discussion sounds so general and bland. Anyway, let's get on with it.

It's been like, what, three of four years?

Whether you hate it or love it, the New 52 is here to stay. What series did you like/hate the most?

note: There will be a lot of spoilers, be warned.

Best: Wonder Woman
One thing that I noticed that was a bit pathetic about the New 52 is that some of the more successful series, say Batman, were successful pretty much only because they hardly changed anything. To me, this is why Wonder Woman got this "award". I have never been to much of a fan of Wonder Woman, I've read only a few comics about her, most of my knowledge of her comes from her involvement in the JLA. So to me, the New 52 WW run was a breath of fresh air. In the comics I had read, Wonder Woman is just so (gonna get a hell lot of flack for this) much of a feminazi. I felt like the authors tried to constantly scream "Hey look, WW is doing some shit that women don't usually do! Isn't that freakin awesome? See how she outperforms that stereotypical male thug." In the New 52, WW just... does things. The authors never tried to point out that her feats were so much more awesome just because she was a woman. None of the other characters minded her gender either. All her awesomeness comes from what she does, not what she is. To me, that's real feminism. And her aesthetic is awesome. Silver and red is so much better than the gold and red, she used to look like a gender-bent Superman. Not to mention she looks extremely pretty, and without all the curves and lumps that were always immediately noticeable about her before. The story is always great, I'm a sucker for adaptations of Greek mythology.

Worst: Kinda cheating with this, but any series that has anything to do with Earth 2. This means World's End, World's Finest, and the regular series.
The story is bad. The art is bad. The dialogue is bad. The shit that goes on in Future's End is bad. Earth 2 was intriguing for awhile, but recently it all fell apart. This most likely due to the Future's End series, but even before that this series was going down the drain. The art in World'd Finest is the worst I've seen in the New 52. Batman doesn't look remotely intimidating, he just looks shiny. The story in World's End is also the worst. For example, after Superman died, Power Girl is given his shield, and it somehow magically attaches to her boobs. In one issue Hawkgirl was being kind to someone, the next it's Flash who is being nice to the person. It's like the authors forgot what they were doing. I dunno how DC thought that intertwining two earths so closely was a good idea. I like Future's End, but as I said, all it does is make Earth 2 worse.

Honorable Mention: The Flash. This series could be in both categories. So much of it is awesome, then the next issue it craps all over that awesomeness.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Hate the most: The so-called "Lobo," which missed the point of the Lobo character completely.

Love the most: Gail Simone's Batgirl. Gail Simone rocks.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I only read Batman and don't care about any of the other New 52 titles, but I think Scott Snyder's take on the character is really, really good. There is kind of a soft reboot of the character's origin and villains(atleast if you take Year One as the starting point) but its more hidden in neat little twists of details you're already familiair with. Like Joker's origin for example. There is always some element of surprise in Snyder's Batman stories. Capullo's art also complements the writing really well.

Batman was kind of stuck in a rut before the New 52 and Snyder really re-invigorated the book. So as far as Batman goes there are no complains about New 52 from me. :p

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Can't speak to all of it because the whole idea frankly put me off and most of the New 52 stuff I did read was either mediocre or absolute crap. From what I've heard stuff like Wonder Woman and Aquaman have been exceptional, but I never did work up the nerve to spend my money on more New 52 stuff.

So my vote for the best series will have to go to Grant Morrison's run on Action Comics when the whole New 52 started. I love the man's writing and that was no exception.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
stroopwafel said:
I only read Batman and don't care about any of the other New 52 titles, but I think Scott Snyder's take on the character is really, really good. There is kind of a soft reboot of the character's origin and villains(atleast if you take Year One as the starting point) but its more hidden in neat little twists of details you're already familiair with. Like Joker's origin for example. There is always some element of surprise in Snyder's Batman stories. Capullo's art also complements the writing really well.

Batman was kind of stuck in a rut before the New 52 and Snyder really re-invigorated the book. So as far as Batman goes there are no complains about New 52 from me. :p
Apparently they are shaping Joker's origins so that now he's an immortal who's been fucking with Gotham for a long time. Kid you not.
Thought they probably end up retconning it for "That never happened, it has the Joker plating proofs to fuck with Batman's head"

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Diablo2000 said:
Apparently they are shaping Joker's origins so that now he's an immortal who's been fucking with Gotham for a long time. Kid you not.
Thought they probably end up retconning it for "That never happened, it has the Joker plating proofs to fuck with Batman's head"
They have done worse in the past, before the new 52.

At one point, the D.C. universe's equivalent to Jesus Christ showed up and basically said the Joker cant be held accountable for his actions because he has the mind of a child and doesn't understand right or wrong.

I shit you not.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Diablo2000 said:
They have done worse in the past, before the new 52.

At one point, the D.C. universe's equivalent to Jesus Christ showed up and basically said the Joker cant be held accountable for his actions because he has the mind of a child and doesn't understand right or wrong.

I shit you not.
Really? Superman said that? Go figure.

Jan 18, 2012
Best: I'd got with the Court of Owls storyarc for Batman. Well done, tense (especially when Bats is trapped in the catacombs of Old Gotham) and is all around a cool story.

Worst: The Culling crossover. This was just a cheap Hunger Games/Battle Royal knockoff that was poorly written, accomplished nothing, had a stupidly overpowered villain that wasted a cool character design, and introduced a popular character from Young Justice (Artemis) only to kill her off in the same issue she debuted in!

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
I mostly only read Batman as far as new 52 is concerned, and for the most part I've enjoyed it. They've been doing a good job with the Arkham rogue's gallery in giving them somewhat plausible backstories. That said, the new 52 Two-Face origin was just awful compared to Long Halloween.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
Love: Batgirl, both Simones and Stewerts run.
Worst: Lots to do with former Teen Titans members (Specifically Starfire, Red Arrow and Raven) and that culling series. Also the SupermanXWonder Woman. It just doesn't work.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Branovices said:
I mostly only read Batman as far as new 52 is concerned, and for the most part I've enjoyed it. They've been doing a good job with the Arkham rogue's gallery in giving them somewhat plausible backstories. That said, the new 52 Two-Face origin was just awful compared to Long Halloween.
I have the same problem with Harley Quinn and Mr. Freeze new origins stories, much added bullshit in stories that were good on their own.

May I recommend Aquaman? (NO, WAIT! IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD)
They actually had self aware and added the same misconseptions that people have of Aquaman in the stories (Everyone seems to underestimate how strong he is or not understand how his powers work) , so at the very least is a very amusing read.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Queen Michael said:
Hate the most: The so-called "Lobo," which missed the point of the Lobo character completely.

How do you feel about the new hip Batgirl though?

Legomaniac91 said:
Best: I'd got with the Court of Owls storyarc for Batman. Well done, tense (especially when Bats is trapped in the catacombs of Old Gotham) and is all around a cool story.

Worst: The Culling crossover. This was just a cheap Hunger Games/Battle Royal knockoff that was poorly written, accomplished nothing, had a stupidly overpowered villain that wasted a cool character design, and introduced a popular character from Young Justice (Artemis) only to kill her off in the same issue she debuted in!
Court of Owls was a pretty awesome start, huh? Putting Batman though as my Best would have been cheating, since the Batman comics I keep up with are more than three times the other series I keep up with. I glossed over the Culling after the first issue of it. Actually, I kinda glossed over the entire Teen Titans series. I've always wondered how that author (was it Scott Lobdell?) could turn around Red Hood and the Outlaws, but completely shit all over Teen Titans.

Queen Michael

Jun 9, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Queen Michael said:

If you mean the works of Simone's successors, I haven't read it yet. I buy the hardcover collections.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Queen Michael said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Queen Michael said:

If you mean the works of Simone's successors, I haven't read it yet. I buy the hardcover collections.
If you really loved Gail Simone's run, then there's a large chance you wont like it. That's my opinion at least, but the change in tone was so abrupt. I won't spoil anything, but you might feel that Batgirl went back in time.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Diablo2000 said:

Yeah, but atleast they are giving it some kind of pseudo-scientific explanation as to why this is so. To me this isn't any more ridiculous than Ra's Al Ghul's 'immortality pits'. Infact I liked how Snyder connected the two in a clever way. It's a comic book so I don't mind a degree of fantastic elements unless they go absolutely overboard with it. And Snyder walks a fine line there. Also what kind of mortal can have his face removed, find it again and then loosely stitch it back on? :p

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
Have y'all seen the Francis Manapul Flash art? Have you seen it? Good God above, it's phenomenal. The whole comic was just top notch. Absolutely some of the best of the New 52, and it even skipped out on most of overwhelming, crushing angst and drama that permeates the rest of DC.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
I would say court of owls was pretty awesome

as was aquaman

worst would be all the changes that where to wally west
and the confusing timelines

also not a fan of the new superboy

Angelblaze

Jun 17, 2010
As someone that's always had it hard for Batman's universe but never actually FOR Batman, I'm enjoying/enjoyed the Grayson run.

I mean come on.
Warning: NSFW-ish

One of my favorite panels can be summed up by this simple sentence:

Midnighter recognizes Dick by his ass.

That's a line that can never be outdone.

However, I despise the new Harley Quinn outfits with a passion - mainly due to the abusive backstory of Harley Quinn, which was the reason I loved her.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I would have to say Aquaman, Grayson, The Flash, Batman, and the current Teen Titans run (the last one was just a disaster all around).

Justice League 3000 and Harley Quinn are pretty good. Mainly because they bring much needed humour to the New 52.