The Big Bang Theory: Sheldon Chooses Between PS4 vs. Xbox One

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
erbkaiser said:
BBT is painfully unfunny. You can find episodes with the canned laughter removed on Youtube, which showcase just how horrible the characters are.

As a self-professed geek working in IT and all, I have yet to see any humour in the series. The IT crowd, now /that/ show is (was?) funny.
you had to bring that up, didn't you :'(

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Doesn't this guy already have some Alienware PC or something?

I mean, obviously, it's just dumb marketing for a "Meh" show, but, let's have a slight hint of realism!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
omega 616 said:
Atmos Duality said:
RaikuFA said:
It is. But in BBT case the jokes are more stereotypical and mean spirited. From what I've seen from passing glances the good jokes are actually the non nerd ones. Not the ones where the punchline is "hurr durr nerds getting laid, that never happens in real life" or "women in comic book stores? that's never happened in real life".
^This is part of the reason I don't care much for the show, though not quite for the exact reasons you specified.
I'm not offended so by the subject of comedy since nothing is sacred. Everything can be mocked, marginalized or otherwise reduced to a punchline; no matter how trivial, horrifying or cruel the actual subject matter.

My issue is that the Big Bang Theory's jokes are really, REALLY dated and predictable, because they rely on stereotypes.
Stereotypes that have already been mocked over and over and over...

"Oho! A nerd has no social skills and would rather play nerdy games than do anything else!" *laugh track*

"Watch as this poor nerd overthinks an otherwise trivial task! *laugh track* NOW watch the hilarity as his 'normal' non-nerdy friend gets the task done!" *double laugh track*

"OooohhhhhHH. A nerd just found some new TECH-NOL-O-GYYYY!!!! Watch the hijinks ensue!" *laugh track*

Etc, etc.
These kinds of jokes were the butt of punchlines themselves by the 1980s.
Yeah, friends did these jokes on Ross but what you have to remember is what (I think) family guy did an episode on, somebody (Brain, I think) was tasked with making a new tv programme but was coming up with this original stuff and the show isn't doing great ... Peter says something like "people don't want new stuff and surprises. They want predictable" implements tired jokes and stereotypes and the show is a hit.

(was either family guy or the Simpsons)

The mindless masses like the same old stuff, something to turn your brain off and gawp at, then when the adverts start you realize you can't even remember what show you have just been watching. Fraiser, Dharma and Greg, Friends, TBBT and many more are all just the same ... stereotyping something and making jokes about it. Fraiser was mocking upper class, Dharma and Greg was hippies and middle class, friends was 30 somethings in America and TBBT is nerds.
It was family guy. Brian wrote a show about a guy juggling between being a single father and going to college. People who read the original script thought it was original and great and it gets bought for a few episodes. Then it gets turned into a crappy sitcom which is where Peter says that line.

But yeah, I don't watch many shows nowadays for that reason. Just the sunday night lineup on fox, Criminal Minds CSI Archer, Community(a much better alternative to BBT IMO) and Sunny. 9 shows.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
AntiChri5 said:
Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel for news stories, aren't we?

Anyway, i saw the episode. Never has the complaint that The Big Bang Theory is all about mocking nerds been so true. I usually brush it off as the usual sitcom stuff just with a different cast, but this time it was a bit much.
The complaint is usually about them phrasing nerd activities as the joke.

They play D&D. Laughs.

They cosplay. Laughs.

They watch Doctor Who. Laughs.

There's no joke attached, just that they do these things and that's funny. I just find it really lazy writing.

Mister Chippy

Jun 12, 2013
Netrigan said:
AntiChri5 said:
Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel for news stories, aren't we?

Anyway, i saw the episode. Never has the complaint that The Big Bang Theory is all about mocking nerds been so true. I usually brush it off as the usual sitcom stuff just with a different cast, but this time it was a bit much.
The complaint is usually about them phrasing nerd activities as the joke.

They play D&D. Laughs.

They cosplay. Laughs.

They watch Doctor Who. Laughs.

There's no joke attached, just that they do these things and that's funny. I just find it really lazy writing.
Lets be perfectly fair, whoever is in charge of the laugh track/sign to the audience is just really incompetent. Sheldon once said "My new computer came with windows seven" and there were loads of laughs. There is no way loads of people found that funny. Personally I think they "spice up" the show by putting laugh tracks in at points where they didn't get the response they wanted. Either that or they just make sure their mics can't pick up the audience anyways and it's all laugh tracks.

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
There was a lot of product placement in that episode. PS4 and Xbox One most obviously, but also that Raj shops at Jcrew. Why was that necessary? But whatever, it isn't that it bothered me, just surprised me since that isn't something that usually happens on tv.

The best part of the episode was definitely when Sheldon asked the rest of the group for their opinions on the console matter, and after voting split 50-50 between the PS4 and XB1, Bernadette chimed in with, "I like the Wii!" Now that is knowing your audience.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Pfft. The obvious answer here is the Wii U.

OK, in all honesty, I actually kinda like the Console Wars being reflected through the lens of Hollywood, because the exaggeration that they often do actually benefits the kind of petty things like this. It's a good way to have some perspective on the whole PS4 vs. Xbox One debate.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
The show is clearly still out of touch with nerdi-ness, if he were a real nerd he's be choosing which form of Neo-Geo to buy.

May 29, 2011
I very genuinely wish everyone whining about TBBT would just shut the hell up.

We get it. Absolutely everyone gets it. You aren't accomplishing anything, it's the purest most worthless circle jerk currently on the internet.

I absolutely dread having to go into any comments about anything related to TBBT because 90% will be people's worthless comments about the quality of the show.

I don't even like the show after season 5 and the sheer absurdity of the flame in every comments section might as well be acid to my eyes. It's one of the most frustrating subjects to talk about.

It's has been exhausted so completely that you might as well be yelling at a brick wall. We are all utterly aware that a lot of people do not like this show, can we PLEASE for the love of GOD talk about something else?

Please?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
hooblabla6262 said:
The complaint is that it isn't that good. Even by sitcom standards, it isn't that good.
It's just the same old crap, and some people like that.
You just contradicted yourself.

Sitcom standards are "the same old crap."

Honestly, that's exactly my point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Use_Imagination_here said:
I don't even like the show after season 5 and the sheer absurdity of the flame in every comments section might as well be acid to my eyes. It's one of the most frustrating subjects to talk about.
And even worse, they seem to watch it weekly, so aren't they part of the problem?

Like, seriously, I think it's like a case of Anita Srakeesian she who must not be named. I suspect that if you subtract all the people who hate both, their resulting fanbase could have a convention in a phone booth.

The logic appears to be "RAWR! I hate you! I hate you so much I'm going to spread you around the culture and make you famous! Haha! How do you like THAT!!??"

Seriously, I may never have seen TBBT if not for all the whining on sites, including The Escapist. So my point is, not only is it tired and old hat, it's almost certainly counter-productive if one really hates the show.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
omega 616 said:
Holy cow, it's a record for the escapist! 7 posts before the arrogant pc gamer emerges and turns this from a TBBT, PS4 vs xbone thread into a PC vs console thread.
And only 15 for a console fanboy to join the fray.
Honestly, this was not the conflict I was expecting in a BBT thread :|

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Mister Chippy said:
Netrigan said:
Lets be perfectly fair, whoever is in charge of the laugh track/sign to the audience is just really incompetent. Sheldon once said "My new computer came with windows seven" and there were loads of laughs. There is no way loads of people found that funny. Personally I think they "spice up" the show by putting laugh tracks in at points where they didn't get the response they wanted. Either that or they just make sure their mics can't pick up the audience anyways and it's all laugh tracks.
I'm pretty sure the audience would have to be downing liquified Ricolas by the end of a shoot if it's all organic.

wooty said:
...followed by gratuitous amounts of canned laughter.
Followed by, and preceded by, and concurrent with...

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
james.sponge said:
erbkaiser said:
BBT is painfully unfunny. You can find episodes with the canned laughter removed on Youtube, which showcase just how horrible the characters are.

As a self-professed geek working in IT and all, I have yet to see any humour in the series. The IT crowd, now /that/ show is (was?) funny.
I agree. This makes me wonder why is this show so popular, who watches it?
Non geek/nerds. Ironically, the geeks are the ones beig laughed at.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Use_Imagination_here said:
I very genuinely wish everyone whining about TBBT would just shut the hell up.

We get it. Absolutely everyone gets it. You aren't accomplishing anything, it's the purest most worthless circle jerk currently on the internet.

I absolutely dread having to go into any comments about anything related to TBBT because 90% will be people's worthless comments about the quality of the show.

It's has been exhausted so completely that you might as well be yelling at a brick wall. We are all utterly aware that a lot of people do not like this show, can we PLEASE for the love of GOD talk about something else?

Please?
But don't you see? It's of utmost importance that each and every one of us knows, in no uncertain terms, that they DO NOT LIKE A PARTICULAR SITCOM.

You know, like the folks who come into a thread discussing a particular game to let us know that they refuse to buy anything by that publisher, or that they hate that genre, or that they refuse to own anything that is not a PC game. Because that adds so much to the conversation.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
james.sponge said:
erbkaiser said:

I agree. This makes me wonder why is this show so popular, who watches it?
Alienated, disconnected but still somewhat technologically savvy parents who still love their grown-up children.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Pennys reaction in the picture: someone has brainwashed Sheldon and turned him into a peasant. now its even worse than before.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
erbkaiser said:

Exactly.

The IT Crowd featured stereotypical "nerd" characters, but knew how to tell a funny joke that could appeal to nerds and non-nerds. It made fun of the nerdy character without pandering to the lowest common denominator or winking at the viewers as if to say, "Nerds, amiright?"

The TBBT writers wouldn't know a fucking well-timed or poignant joke if it came up to them and kicked them all in the balls. They're about as talented as the writers for the "filler" episodes of Family Guy.

Despite this, if you don't find TBBT funny it's only because you're a jaded nerd that can't laugh at yourself. Or so I've been told by just about every fucking TBBT theory "fan". Hell, just look at some of the posts in this thread. Omega616 says just that.

:/