The Big Picture: A Guy Named Joe

Varewulf

Nosgoth Fanboy
Oct 22, 2009
I've forgotten to mention this before, but the music is very noir. I approve.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
I really liked the points made in the show, finding your place in the world isn't as easy as it used to be, but you now have the more freedom to choose who you want to be. There is however one tiny bit is nagging me.
Vlad Tepes: not a conqueror, not a dictator, not evil. Just really bad PR and a hole lot of rich people that hated his guts.

pearsmb06

Nov 11, 2009
I've been increasingly critical of The Big Picture as many of them don't have anything to do with the "big picture" and often feels more like "some comic book facts off of wikipedia". But this one completely changed my view. It was well thought out, relevant, and interesting. It tackled real "big picture" issues while entertainingly tying them to relatable geek media. I enjoyed it a lot. My hat is off to you.

snakeakaossi

Mar 18, 2010
As always: great movie, Bob. It sparks for discussion as it should.

One thing, though: when referring to male workers, don't use a bee in the picture. Worker bees are considered female.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
I thought you weren't going to mention The Expendables again?

Ahh, well... this series had a rough start (invoking Godwin's Law on Halo? Really?), but it's only been getting better.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
MowDownJoe said:
I thought you weren't going to mention The Expendables again?

Ahh, well... this series had a rough start (invoking Godwin's Law on Halo? Really?), but it's only been getting better.
I honestly dont think we will ever here the end of the Expendables and Scott Pilgrim, but thats an unimportant issue, his video was still hitting a major point. Good show, old boy, good show...

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
I can tell you that as a little boy I was crushed when I found out that SUPER HERO wasn't a real occupation and that powers aren't ever bestowed by "mysterious forces". Maybe that's why I continue to escape into fantasy worlds.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
This was great episode, in fact some points felt inspiring.

I just thought of something interesting though. You mention each generation's version of G.I. Joe and I though "whats this generation's version?" The first thing that came to mind was military FPS like CoD, and how popular it was for both men and boys. Its like the old G.I. Joe what with being about real life soldiers and special forces except its an interactive game. Maybe thats one of the reasons its so popular.(besides being a great game)

Try not to take most of this seriously. Like I said its just an interesting thought I had.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Scott Pilgrim from a different angle! Interestingly, you've hit the nail on what I feel is the main difference between the movie and the comic. While the movie was religiously faithful to a lot of scenes and events from the comics, it's fascinating that in the film, Scott mans up to beat up his girlfriend's exes and become a hero in the process, while in the comic, Scott and Ramona come to the realization that the world doesn't revolve around them, and they've both been jerks in their previous relationships so they're probably meant for each other. Not something easily done in a 2 hour movie while working in seven video game-esque fight scenes, so I don't blame the film for not going that route.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
Yeah, there's a whole debate in psychology about this whole thing and how my generation (20's) are taking longer to be independent and stable. They're calling it 'emerging adolescence.' Life isn't as cut and dried and people don't step out of the house at 18 to become carbon-copies of their parents.

Anyway, great video.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Armored Prayer said:

I just thought of something interesting though. You mention each generation's version of G.I. Joe and I though "whats this generation's version?" The first thing that came to mind was military FPS like CoD, and how popular it was for both men and boys. Its like the old G.I. Joe what with being about real life soldiers and special forces except its an interactive game. Maybe thats one of the reasons its so popular.(besides being a great game)

Try not to take most of this seriously. Like I said its just an interesting thought I had.
But do the kids who play the game aspire to be those soldiers? Does playing the game make them want to be one when they grow up? That is why I don't think it holds the same kind of place as the other G.I. Joes. It's easier to pwn n00bs in COD than it is to become a real, honest to God soldier or member of the special forces. And that's why most people would rather just play the game.

psivamp

Jan 7, 2010
Falseprophet said:
Scott Pilgrim from a different angle! Interestingly, you've hit the nail on what I feel is the main difference between the movie and the comic. While the movie was religiously faithful to a lot of scenes and events from the comics, it's fascinating that in the film, Scott mans up to beat up his girlfriend's exes and become a hero in the process, while in the comic, Scott and Ramona come to the realization that the world doesn't revolve around them, and they've both been jerks in their previous relationships so they're probably meant for each other. Not something easily done in a 2 hour movie while working in seven video game-esque fight scenes, so I don't blame the film for not going that route.
Scott and Ramona totally realize that they've been self-obsessed jerks in the movie. (I haven't read the comics, so maybe it's more blatant there, but it is definitely present in the film.)

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
An interesting watch with a much broader feel than a lot of the niche topics you've chosen in the past. This one gets a double high five from me.

As an aside, I thoroughly enjoyed "Scott", and only watched it at your recommendation. Thanks for pointing me in its direction.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
great video
finally somebody addresses the whole Problem with the decreasing necessity for traditional manly things without either crying about it or saying that we should synthetic sperm, box human males and be done with it(and make the blur screen pink)

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Armored Prayer said:

I'd say you're probably correct in saying that CoD is pretty much the modern version of GI Joe. Modern GI Joe isn't nearly as popular as it used to be, and seems to be completely irrelevant, as pointed out by Bob. Call of Duty (the first modern warfare at least) talks about the plights of the modern soldier, and demonstrates in more than one way that war is still hell. I really do think the mission where you live out the last moments of a dying soldier after the nuclear blast is one of the greatest gaming moments of the decade, just because it perfectly demonstrates our greatest fears in terms of the war on terror from the eyes of those most likely to experience it.