The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
Freezy_Breezy said:
and you follow it up by calling people who like cosplay "basement dwellers". I in fact know several people that are into cosplay, and they are just as sociable as anyone else.
Bob is mostly showing the extremes of sport fandom, why would we not reply with the extremes of nerds? If the characteristics of a group are supposedly most evident in the most "devoted" (for lack of a better word) why is what we're using to argue different?

And it seems that what you're saying is, you have no opposition to our point, but to our wording, correct?[/quote]
Yes, exactly. It's the parts that seems like stereotyping that i had an issue with, not the point that you were making

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
HentMas said:
actually that is NOT a good point
there is actually ONE MAYOR DIFFERENCE between sports fans and "geeks/nerds/watever"

the sports fans support and show appreciation for REAL PEOPLE

"Superman" is "Babe Ruth"? thats not right, superman never existed, Babe ruth on the other hand is a REAL sports hero, he DID played and showed superiority, Superman comes from the imagination of some guy

that is the Difference.
Yet they've both done the exact same amount of good for people.

By this logic it's actually more impressive for Superman since he has managed to inspire people without ever actually existing.

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
Dana22 said:
I was called a nerd once, when I said I prefer books over TV.
They're just jealous.

OT: This was a rather good video. I plan on using some of these points in the future.

Marcharius

May 27, 2009
Another excellent social commentary from Bob. Keep up the good work! Kudos to you and Extra Credits for shining light into the strange and interesting social reactions to the gaming sub-culture... Bravo!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Soo true! But there is no need to bring the 2 nerd versions together, I know a lot of athletic nerds. We just have to wait our turn, in a few years, anyone not wearing a ST costume will be looked at funny!!

Feb 13, 2008
Words akin to "Nerd" for their duality of non-meaning.

Gay, Hetero, Catholic, Control Freak, Coffee freak, Woman, Man.

Generally, there's only one common thread that blends all of these types together, whether it's a biological one, genetics, beliefs or whatever.

Problem is that it's this thread they're known by, and it's the same thread that makes other behaviour more apparent.

So you're a woman - you like shoes, wear makeup, are concerned about your body etc.

And here's where it gets interesting - because even the women who don't do that sometimes feel they should. Women and the colour pink is as polar as it is with men. It's either "I MUST HAVE" or "I MUST NOT HAVE" - even if your thoughts towards it are "meh".

The Nerd thread is misplaced passion. We're all uptight. English people doubly so because we've also got the English thread. That means we'll tend towards certain things - OCD, telling stories about our best ever...

Sports nerds, however, have got their passion in a place where passion is expected. It's not weird to have a hockey shirt because "HOCKEY RULES!"...and there's the misplaced passion.

To be honest, I freak myself sometimes with returning to childhood everytime a really good bit of Doctor Who comes on, but them's the breaks. The main reason Nerd nerds and Sports nerds don't get on is that we do something while they watch something.

Can you imagine watching a game of D&D? Yawn. That's where the thread unravels and why we'll never truly get on. Even with Blood Bowl.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
omegawyrm said:
HentMas said:
actually that is NOT a good point
there is actually ONE MAYOR DIFFERENCE between sports fans and "geeks/nerds/watever"

the sports fans support and show appreciation for REAL PEOPLE

"Superman" is "Babe Ruth"? thats not right, superman never existed, Babe ruth on the other hand is a REAL sports hero, he DID played and showed superiority, Superman comes from the imagination of some guy

that is the Difference.
Yet they've both done the exact same amount of good for people.

By this logic it's actually more impressive for Superman since he has managed to inspire people without ever actually existing.
actually its more in "par" with people thinking "HEY!! ABRAHAM LINCOLN WAS A GREAT MAN!" and another one saying "HEY!!! SUPERMAN WAS A GREAT MAN!!!"

they are pushing up "imaginary" people, wich in the eyes of this guys say the person doing this is childish and as such doesnt really deserve the "repect" we all other grown ups that actually believe in real things have

oh!!!, before you flame me, i´m just stating what people believe i have had this same discussion beforewithy friends and they actually told me that, dont get me wrong,i cosplay and do a lot of "Nerd" stuff, but i do see their point in that they would rather praise someone "tangible" than something "made up"

dont know if you understand what i mean.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
Good Points
Critique: Most sports fans would argue that they are obsessing over something athletic, which supposedly defines a difference
Counter-critique: The fans themselves are not doing anything athletic at all. So it means nothing

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Hubert South said:
Japanotards are not nerds.

By the way, the _ONLY_ thing separating, in this context (however limited it might be), sport fandom and nerd fandom, is time.

Sport nerds have been aroundf for 5000 years. Nerds for 50.
O_O

ARCHIMEDES WAS A COLLOSAL NERD. Seriously, he used math to solve so many problems.

And arguably, one could consider the Spartans to be Nerds, what with them being so close knit and all

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Great one Bob. I suggest that we start calling sports fan 'sports nerds' from now on. We have the internet, we can make it catch on.

Also I was going to buy a tee shirt that was styled like an Enterprise soccer jersey. But my size run out :-( I'll definitively get it when it's reprinted though.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
Excellent, excellent episode.

Good content, good commentary.

Also, the use of faces is much improved - they really seemed to contribute to this video. Great job, Bob.

RogueLament

the Pony
Jun 26, 2009
Man, I don't know if I'm with you on this one. I agree that sports fans are nerds but I'm not sure if we should be coming together. We may have interests that are close to the same but they aren't the same. I find most sports to be boring (that's just me, I have nothing against sports but they bore me to tires) and most of the sports fans I've met find DnD and WoW to be worthless. My point is mainly that we wouldn't have anything to talk about.

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Actually I think the difference of the two "nerds" is as simple as Reality/Fantasy.
And when being overly obsessive with some kind of hobby it's either an escapist action or say a career.
Like say if a sports fan loves the sport so much he actually takes it up and plays for a team (that's a career). But then again maybe it's just an excuse to drink with his friends.

A classic nerd though usually does cosplay, theories and etc. Cosplay might give you sewing skills, but a career that is not. Becoming a sci-fi writer or entertainer a-la Bob however is...

But in the big picture, society considers sports more "healthy" and the fans have a patriotic connection (YOUR hometown or YOUR country).
While nerds are viewed as escapists, who are... escaping the hardships of life.

But in truth, both are pretty similar.

Faerillis

Oct 29, 2009
Oh My God... I never... Beautifully done Bob. I never saw it before but it is, exactly as you said, mirror image. But they can't come together, how often do two sects of nerddom come together peacefully?