The Big Picture: American Sniper Sucks (And It's Okay To Admit That)

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Looking at Rotten Tomatoes right now, American Sniper (73%) is lower than the new Spongebob movie (75%).

...I don't know how to feel about this.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Res Plus said:
Verlander said:
...aaand enter the people on here, saying that you're blinded by your opinions, or that your political slant skews your opinion on this. Not here yet? They will be.
To be fair, from the tiny amount of Movie Bob's output I've seen, his rather facile politics do seem to skew pretty much every opinion he ever utters but then so does everyone's; his opinions did seem to be a bit more rudimentarily binary than others and so the stuff I saw was polemic and lacked nuance or balance.
That's fair, and I kinda agree. It's disappointing how hard he pushes some things (like super-diversity), even though I agree with his sentiment. When you push an agenda that hard, you end up knocking off the on-the-fencers

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
Verlander said:
Res Plus said:
Verlander said:
...aaand enter the people on here, saying that you're blinded by your opinions, or that your political slant skews your opinion on this. Not here yet? They will be.
To be fair, from the tiny amount of Movie Bob's output I've seen, his rather facile politics do seem to skew pretty much every opinion he ever utters but then so does everyone's; his opinions did seem to be a bit more rudimentarily binary than others and so the stuff I saw was polemic and lacked nuance or balance.
That's fair, and I kinda agree. It's disappointing how hard he pushes some things (like super-diversity), even though I agree with his sentiment. When you push an agenda that hard, you end up knocking off the on-the-fencers
Suppose it's a good thing he doesn't care about people on the fence.

Rabidkitten

Sep 23, 2010
It may be possible that the success of American Sniper is that it is this vanilla safe war film that circumvents making a "statement" about the war. Often times, war films are so filled with messages and context that people get annoyed with them, when all people wanted to see was a proper filmed story from the war, nothing more. Oh and if you are annoyed with this one Bob, with the success of American Sniper you can bet your sweet ars that we are now getting a flood of right leaning war films. Have fun Bob, have fun.