The Big Picture: Batfleck

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Flexei said:
Judging by Bob's Boston accent being more prevalent than usual in this one, he must be pretty fired up. :)
It got pretty irritating towards the end, to the point that I was thinking negative thoughts about Boston sports teams, although I'm not sure if Bob really cares about them.

marscentral

Where's the Kaboom?
Dec 26, 2009
Yeah, I was happy with the news that Ben Affleck was going to be Batman. If there's any concern, it's that such a big name might overshadow Cavill's Superman, but that's a really minor worry. I really hope some lessons have been learned from the Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel, action is good but keep the tone light as we should be having fun and please no more stupid voices.

Gammaj4

Nov 18, 2009
templar1138a said:
You can tell Bob's making a rant video when he's talking in his Boston accent.

Yeah, I didn't really care about Ben Affleck here. Why? Because I've long since lost interest in Superman. He's just too powerful for me to care. If they went back to his original power set where he couldn't fly, that'd be a good start. I might regain my interest if they also made it so that while his skin is bulletproof, the bullets still hurt quite a bit and he can suffer from burn wounds.

Oh, and if they stopped having him designed with poster-child gelled hair. That shit just instantly says, "Too good to be true" and ruins any suspension of disbelief.

Off-topic: dish can kiss my ass.
Superman can be a lot more interesting, once you open up the DC universe a bit. For one thing, he has no resitance to magic, and the expanded DC universe has tons of magicians running around, not to mention guys like Mongo or Darkseid, who are just so damn strong that they can beat the hell out of him regardless of his powers. You also run into some great moral grey areas that seriously mess with his boy scout personality.

A good series to watch for this sort of thing is Justice League Unlimited. It's technically a sequel series to Justice League, but I haven't watched that one, so I can't recommend it.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
When everyone got up in arms about Affleck, I assumed their motivation was roughly the same as Weird Al's in the song "I'll Sue Ya":

"........Aw, do I even need a reason?"

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Couldn't be less interesting. Superman = God. Regular old Batman is going to beat God? No. Unless he has Kryptonite... then he should win hands down without much of a struggle. Both of those are boring as hell.

Affleck is talented, and he'll be able to pull this off. But Bale wasn't that bad either. The DC universe has so much potential but its dragged down by terribly uninteresting characters.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Well said, Mr. Bob. However, I would like to add to Batfleck's resources in this. He will need...

(If the image doesn't work, it's Robin.)

(If the image doesn't work, it's Batgirl. I would prefer the Cassandra Cain version, but to each their own.)

(If the image doesn't work, it's the Batmobile. Screw the Tumbler, that was way too excessive to be an actual Batmobile.)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Heh, my first thought was "Ben Affleck as Batman? Interesting choice... too bad it doesn't matter.. Zack Snyder one of my all time least favorite film makers is still behind this thing... that sprung out from Superman Kills a Guy: The Movie. If only they'd tapped him for directing duties instead."

Yeah...

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
:D Don't worry Bob. Andre already sold me on Ben, in about the same way you did. Hope he does well.

Also, Dx HEY! You didn't talk about your book with your accent!

:/ Lame....

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Whoa, batman as a rich guy who wins by spending money isn't something I would have thought of. That's quite an interesting way to look at it.

Thanks.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
RedDeadFred said:
Although I didn't have the same problems as Bob with TDKR, I agree that this Batman will be a welcome change and Afleck might even do it better than Bale. However, having not read the comics, I don't really see why he'd be versing Superman...
Mostly coz batman is a paranoid control freak at heart and won't trust this unstoppable being. He won't trust him so will try to find a way to stop him.

This is how the film will break down. Paranoidman will suspect god is lying to humanity to control it or something, batman spends most of the reel finding out who this superman really is, where the fortress of solitude is, what his weaknesses are and has the odd confrontation with the big blue but no real fight. Sup on the other hand doesn't want to hurt bats so tries to talk to him instead of fight. You'll get philosophical toing and froing and a strange bromance starts to develope till some real big bad happens and they find that they work good together. Big hug at the end, bats goes to his Wayne tower over looking his kingdom and boy sout flies off into the beautiful sunset.

See if I'm wrong.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
Deep Thought said:
Is it just me or is Moviebob fed up with Batman in general? He really seemed to dislike the character in the video, or at least the modern "grim and gritty" interpretation of him.
Because that's all we've had in movies since 1989, batman Forever and Batman and Robin aside. the the guy ever seems to do is brood.

Scribblesense

Jan 30, 2013
I really wish they'd go a more playful, comicky route, over the grimdark bull we got with The Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel. But that's not going to happen; they're going to keep trying to ape The Dark Knight because it should have won an Oscar. I'd rather have an outstanding popcorn flick like The Avengers over a philosophical maze of delusions like TDK.

Which is why I'm still undecided (leaning against) Affleck as Batman. I can't see them picking him because he likes comic books or has done comedy or likes the character, I see them picking him because all of a sudden it's a serious film because it has serious actors, guys. This choice feels less like Mitt Romney and more like Sarah Palin.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
Alright MovieBox, I have to give you credit. You really did lay down some good reasons why we shouldn't necessary panic over the whole idea of Ben Afleck taking on the role of Batman/Bruce Wayne...and then you suddenly went off on a bit of a rant. Firstly:

"Hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it, hold it! Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! Nice shooting, Tex. " - Dr. Peter Venkman, Ghostbusters

I can appreciate some of what you said about Batman. The idea of him literally being prepared for basically ANYTHING just because he is that damn good, is more than a little stupid the more you hold to it. That is true. It can be fun at times, or scary (the Justice League: Doom movie comes to mind), but it has gotten overplayed and needs to fade away. And the idea that the "best" story that can be put together using both Batman and Superman is to have them fighting is, well flat out stupid and wrong. It's unimaginative.

But saying Batman can be looked at as "Mitt Romney with a doomsday bunker and a leather fetish" is vastly overstating it. And how is the mythos that Batman is a tactical genius all about how much money he has? Yes, some of the "preparedness" comes down to him having the RIGHT gadget at the RIGHT time, but how much of that is the money to have said gadget and how much is the wherewithal to know that this is the one to have at this time for this moment?

Hell, if you want to make that real link I think it works more for Tony Stark more than it does for Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, if you take away every penny he has can still physically beat almost any non-metahuman in the DC universe (and probably a few meta-humans as well). Tony Stark is a great inventor, true, but without his money and resources - what would he build? It took three movies (never read the IM comics) to come up with a way Stark can use his talents in a way that won't rely on his wealth to finance (I don't count the first movie as the first suit was built using his access to an entire arms bazaar, not just a few rocks in the cave) - and even then what he could accomplish was limited.

In a video that tries to appeal for levelheadedness about Afleck's casting, your own completely disappears at the end of the video...

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Can someone tell me when Zack turned into night shyamaina? Coz as far as I remember everyone loved his movies. Sucker punch, 300, watchman, dawn of the dead. Coz man of steel was.... Wrong, all of a sudden has as much talent as uwe boll?

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
I've got to disagree with Bob here. I don't think Ben Affleck is a good enough actor. Name me one movie where he is fantastic. Name me one movie were you thought, "thank god Ben Affleck played that role?

Has Ben Affleck been in good movies? Yes. Has been Affleck shown he can direct well? Yes. Has he been the standout performance in any movie? No.

Ben Affleck is a passable actor in good movies. Passable is as good as it gets for him. I enjoyed Argo. It was a well made movie, but Ben Affleck was subpar in it. Not bad enough that he damaged the movie, but not good enough that he added anything to it.

Ben Affleck as the movies director? I'm delighted. Ben Affleck as the movies Batman? Ugh.

Jetsetneo

Apr 2, 2010
Ukomba said:
Wow you went off on a left wing tangent there towards the end.
Yea, it seems like Bob has been doing a lot of that in his recent shows. I mean... Rommney lost, by a significant margin, Obama is president, and I haven't heard anything about the guy since. Maybe its time to move on?

Also, the comparisons aren't apt. They just aren't. I get bob has his issues with some of the things that snuck into modern DC films but...I mean THATS THE AGE WE LIVE IN. The world is dark and full of terrors, If i may rip someone else's schtick. comics typically represent modern thought and general feelings. If you don't like it, sorry. This is the age we live in. If you want to hide under a 'happy' movie rock, thats okay, but I for one don't want to see a Golden-Silver Age flick. Its why I got upset at IM3, because it seemed like it was going somewhere with real gravitas (PTSD, terrorism, Military-industrial complex) then just swept it all away for what amounts to typical hollywood.

I don't want all movies to be grim and gritty, but damn it, some of them have to be, and Marvel sure as hell isn't going to do it because they most certainly will pander to the lowest common denominator (and I enjoy the marvel movies).

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Gonna say it again: People who say "Batman always beats Superman" has either never read a comic or assumes TDKR is the set for all of them. Even then, Batman didn't win. Batman and Superman have fought 12 times in comics if my count is right, and who wins almost all of them? Superman.

Batman #428: Batman punches Superman in a fit of anger after Superman says he can't attack the Joker since he has diplomatic immunity (long story, it's after Jason Todd died). Bats breaks a few knuckles and Supes is unscathed.

TDKR (non canon): Even after Supes is shot by a kryptonite arrow from Green Arrow and Batman pulls out all the stops he has, Superman spends the entire fight not trying to hurt Bruce seriously and Bruce ends it by faking a heart attack.

JLA #44: Tower of Babel. Ra's al Ghul steals Batman's plans to stop any of the JL members and uses the red Kryptonite Batman has to hurt Superman's ability to metabolise sunlight. Batman gets a win here because it's his plan, but Ra's is technically the one that implemented this.

TDK Strikes Again (non canon): Supes is beaten by The Flash, Green Arrow, The Atom and years of prep. The only instance ever where Batman straight up beats Superman, and he had a LOT of help.

Batman #612: Batman with Kryptonite gloves vs. mind controlled Superman. Batman openly admits if he keeps fighting his hands will shatter and the fight ends because Batman has Catwoman drop Lois Lane to break the mind control. Batman says several times throughout that Supes is struggling against the mind control to not kill him and knows he would lose otherwise.

Superman: Red Son (non canon): Batman gets red sun generators, ties up Wonder Woman who manages to escape and break the generators, leaving Batman against a full powered Stalin-raised Superman. Batman blows himself up. Leaves Superman with a mess to clean up.

Superman/Batman #2: Evil Superman from an alternate future vs. Batman. Superman backhands him and is about to crush him with a car, Batman can't do anything. Evil Superman fades back to his own time before killing Batman.

Adventures of Superman #642: Superman is mind controlled by Maxwell Lord and thinks Batman is Darkseid. Batman nearly dies.

Superman/Batman #23: Batman is possessed by Kryptonite Man. Superman wins by encasing him in a radiation suit and forcing him out.

SUperman/Batman #33: Batman is under the control of Blackrock and has real superpowers. Superman beats him so bad it scares Blackrock out of his body.

Justice League #2 (new 52): Batman literally throws everything he has at Superman. Does jack all.

Batman: The Dark Knight #5: Batman is under the effect of PIS, a new Venom from Bane that makes you strong enough to hurt a Kryptonian. Superman one-shots Batman through a roof.

Lex Luthor: Man of Steel: Superman knocks out Batman even with kryptonite.

Out of all of those encounters, Batman definitively wins 1 of them and has an arguable win in 1 other.