The Big Picture: Best Defense

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
bigfatcarp93 said:
Souplex said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Souplex said:
Wanda (Scarlet Witch) has had three major love interests in comic history:...

her brother, (Yes, really.)
HEY! We don't mention those shitty Ultimates comics here! That's a three week suspension from nerdhood! Turn in your glasses and your comixology subscription.

OT: I'm pretty stoked for the Defenders. Can anyone figure on how long until it airs? I'm guessing at least like nine months or a year or so...
To be fair, until Jeph Loeb ruined everything, the Ultimate Universe was far better than the regular Marvel Universe.
Not sure I'd agree with "far better", though I of course concede that USM, UXM, and UFF were all great (Thank you Bendis, by and large.)
Let us not forget Millar's The Ultimates.
So good.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
MovieBob said:
Best Defense

This week MovieBob takes us into the four Marvel series making their way to Netflix.

Watch Video
Hey Bob. I just gotta say I'm a real big fan of your big pictures. Even though I'm a bit of a geek, its lovely to have someone with their feet planted firmly in all camps geek to pull the strings together now and again.

What I love even more though is that you have a lot of (I guess) obscure knowledge. Like your mention of the Alias comic book about Jessica Jones. I've never heard of it, or her and I read a lot of comics.

It would be really cool if you did an episode, or an article sometime, with a lot of obscure recommendations like this. Comics that tell a story, not just the weekly spidey beating up the doc or whatever. I just finished alias and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Not only a cool, well-rounded FEMALE lead, but a very interesting read in itself and brilliant cameos all over the place. I love the angle we get to view the world of supers from, and really almost everything about it. I wasnt a fan of the 4th wall breaking at the end, but thats beside the point.

So...a best of obscure list? :D (If alias can count as obscure...I hadnt heard of it, but that doesnt mean the average comic geek hasnt :p )

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
As much as I'm skeptical of Marvel, I think I like Netflix more because of its original (non super hero) content. While I get that Marvel movies are doing well and they want to sell as much a possible, I don't want Netflix to become all about this hero stuff, while more original stuff gets potentially ignored.

Besides that, its a great deal for Netflix, who many of the big studios do not want to succeed in their efforts. Take that Disney money and make more original stuff, Netflix. From the MD side of things, I think that Agents of Shield shows that on network tv, you can only go so far until timeslots, restrictions and moaning viewers/fans step in. Agents of Shield does look kinda cheap too. By doing these new series via Netflix, writers can go more creative and adult in content if they want(as these characters are kind of Marvel Knights ones. Only restrictions are money and imagination (and Marvel/continuity etc obviously.

Fingers crossed they turn out well, because I'm starting to worry that Marvel Disney is baking too many pies at once, and few will be tasteless and a waste.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Few corrections:

Killgrave did NOT sexually assault Jessica Jones except in the loosest of interpretations. He used to sexually assault other woomen in front of her and make her love him and beg him to have sex with her, but he never actually did.

Luke Cage's popularity didn't resurge because of Alias, but because of its writer, Bendis. Bendis loves Luke Cage, Spider Woman and Ms. Marvel and inserted them into major roles in everything he got his hands on. And Bendis had his hands on a LOT, including the Avengers and several major events.

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Souplex said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Souplex said:
bigfatcarp93 said:
Souplex said:
Wanda (Scarlet Witch) has had three major love interests in comic history:...

her brother, (Yes, really.)
HEY! We don't mention those shitty Ultimates comics here! That's a three week suspension from nerdhood! Turn in your glasses and your comixology subscription.

OT: I'm pretty stoked for the Defenders. Can anyone figure on how long until it airs? I'm guessing at least like nine months or a year or so...
To be fair, until Jeph Loeb ruined everything, the Ultimate Universe was far better than the regular Marvel Universe.
Not sure I'd agree with "far better", though I of course concede that USM, UXM, and UFF were all great (Thank you Bendis, by and large.)
Let us not forget Millar's The Ultimates.
So good.
*reads comic where hulk is an implied rapist and confirmed cannibal, hank nearly murders wasp, and quicksilver and scarlet witch are having sex*

...NO. >:[

Habballah

Sep 25, 2013
Big enough to go small.

I'm replaying that in my head over and over again.
God i wish i had a place to steal that for.

That was pretty good.