The Big Picture: Boy's Own Adventure

Jamane

Sep 24, 2010
NightowlM said:
Jamane said:
J Tyran said:
Jamane said:
a transvetite superhero...
Does wearing female clothing even make a man a transvestite? I genuinely don't know, in my own mind its just clothes but its probably more complicated than that.
"transvestite" is literally the word for a person who dresses in clothes associated with the other gender so... yes, yes it does.
This does not mean you are transgender that is different.
Actually, cross-dresser is literally the word for a person who dresses in clothes of the opposite sex. Transvestites derive sexual pleasure from wearing said clothes.

The more you know...
can't just be for sexual pleasure doesn't have the "philia" suffix, I had to google up to see where you are coming from. There are multiple meanings because it was term that originated in the 1910s it can be for sexual satisfaction but is not limited to it.

theApoc

Oct 17, 2008
Aardvaarkman said:
theApoc said:
And no I am not saying cross dressing should be banned from TV. What I am saying is that if people are allowed to put cross dressing on TV, or promote gay marriage, or any other random social issue, then the alternative points of view should have the same freedom REGARDLESS of what the vocal minority thinks is "right" or "fair".
They are allowed to. The vast majority of TV content contains "traditional" or "normative" depictions of gender roles. Also, what makes you think supporters of gender equality are a "vocal minority"?

This is a very strange angle to approach it from - because the story here is that a show that dares depict a male character in "female" clothes is being attacked, and people are saying it shouldn't be shown. Nobody has said anything about banning shows that show males in traditionally male clothes.

No one is suggesting people have to agree, but to say that someone else does not have the right to speak their mind is ridiculous.
When did anybody say that others don't have the right to speak their mind?

Bob's videos are OP-ED pieces, nothing more and should be treated as such IMO.
I don't think anybody ever thought otherwise. Perhaps you can point out who was claiming that Bob is a hard news reporter? He's obviously an entertainment reviewer.

What's wrong with op-ed pieces, anyway? Some of the best journalism ever written has been in the editorial/opinion format.
My original post was a response to the general attitude portrayed in the comments: "Anyone who thinks there is something wrong with this is stupid, evil, repressed, etc."

That attitude implies intolerance, thus I added my 2 cents.

Tormuse

Nov 18, 2009
I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this video, from Moviebob's take on superhero gender roles to his ridicule of people's reasons for objecting to Shezow. Kudos! :)

I was not familiar with the show before this, but it's made me curious to check it out.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Obviously Bob has never seen Dan vs, which in my opinion at least, is one of the funniest cartoons on tv, second only to The Venture Bros

lukesparow

Jan 20, 2014
It's ridiculous that something this innocent can manage to cause this much outrage.
No, it's not ridiculous, it is insulting. Sad that 21st century humans can be this stupid.