The Big Picture: Celebritoons

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I remember Camp Candy and Gravedale High. I didn't see much of Gravedale High, but I do remember it. Some of those other ones made me facepalm. Pro Stars? Oh and the lip syncing on the Muhammad Ali show was terrible.

el_emmens

Mar 23, 2009
Bobby's world literally along with power rangers comprised a very large portion of my saturday mornings.

Johny64

Feb 10, 2011
Leemaster777 said:
Bob, I love you but I am FORCED to throw my entirely impotent online rage your way.

You forgot Jackie Chan Adventures. Come on man, you make a show about Celebritoons and forget the absolute best one ever made? I don't even care that I'm only the 20th or so person to bring this up, all I could think of while watching this week's episode was "okay, when's he gonna talk about Jackie Chan Adventures?".

It's fun, it's genuinely high-quality, and it's EASILY as weird as some of the other cartoons you've listed (how many cartoons can you think of where a talking superhuman moose doll fighting a supernatural giant orange man isn't the WEIRDEST thing that's happened on the show?).

As punishment, I demand you commit seppuku right here... or watch the intro 20 times.

Exactly what this guy said. And you forgot the most recent effort for a celebritoon, Arnold Schwarzenegger's The Governator.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
MB202 said:
I'm getting tired of MovieBob going "WTF did I just see?!" while I'm sitting there stone-faced at what he just showed. Granted, Mohammad Ali's face while talking was pretty weird, in an uncanny valley sort of way, but... well, maybe it's because I've been on the Internet AND I've seen what Cartoon Network and especially [adult swim] show on a regular basis, but the stuff he seems to imply are weird and insane, I'm just like "eh".
I agree, but then I saw a hockey puck turn into a boomerang and then explode.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
I'm disappointed, he basically slapped some pieces of cartoons together and added some voice-over and those same faces he always uses; he didn't have a point or a bigger thing he was commenting on or even presenting and he even said so. The discussion is better than the episode, actually.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
General Vagueness said:
I'm disappointed, he basically slapped some pieces of cartoons together and added some voice-over and those same faces he always uses; he didn't have a point or a bigger thing he was commenting on or even presenting and he even said so. The discussion is better than the episode, actually.
Maybe you and I just have different tastes in this show, but these are the sorts of episodes that I love seeing him do. When I just get to learn and see about some stuff that I didn't know about before. Admittedly I prefer when he goes into a bit more detail on the subject, this one felt just like a junk drawer episode that had a theme (I mean Sucker Punch got two episodes, why couldn't this? Expand on some of these)

But I prefer these fun pop culture trivia episodes over stuff like the With Great Power episode he did a few weeks back.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
MB202 said:
I'm getting tired of MovieBob going "WTF did I just see?!" while I'm sitting there stone-faced at what he just showed. Granted, Mohammad Ali's face while talking was pretty weird, in an uncanny valley sort of way, but... well, maybe it's because I've been on the Internet AND I've seen what Cartoon Network and especially [adult swim] show on a regular basis, but the stuff he seems to imply are weird and insane, I'm just like "eh".
Gotta agree with you on that.

Anyways, I think reality TV is worse. It really begs a question of, "Why should I care if ***** A doesn't like ***** B?"
I want my Music Television back.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
I remember Hammer Man, actually I remember all these cartoons. I was just the right age when they came out. I don't think Kids really think about how stupid some of this stuff is. I remember enjoying the dancing and music sections in the Hammer Man show. I don't think I really knew very much about M.C. Hammer at the time but I remember that show.

Jackie Chan Adventures? That's pretty much the last show like that I can think of.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Im starting to realise just how horrible the a number of the cartoons I watched as a child were... Atleast two of those Ive watched almost religiously...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I sometimes wonder if Bob and I grew up in different realities. In the 80s, and even into the 90s, Bo was an internet meme before the internet meme was really a thing. We're not quite talking Chuck Norris level, but still. "Bo knows" was all over the place and people managed to not get tired of it, much to my chagrin.

Either that, or they were doing it "ironically," and being hipsters before hipsters were a thing.

bdcjacko said:
Remember all of these shows. Bob forgot the Rosie O'Dollen show, and I wish I did too.
You found one I don't know about. That's a feat.

TAdamson said:
As always when you post this sort of thing, I sit there asking

------Where do you find this stuff?------
In the 80s, you absorbed this shit by virtue of being alive. Seriously, I didn't even get some of these shows on my cable providers and I know them.

DVS BSTrD said:
Fuck Reality TV, CelebriGAMES are where it's at!
http://www.ferra.ru/images/221/221113.jpg
A special, lower tier of celebritainment where only Jack Black appears.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I feel like I should apply to be Bob's intern since when he brings up old animated TV shows, I basically looked at the list of celebrity shows and went "seen it, seen it, didn't see it, seen it, etc." With the exception of a few, I've actually grown up watching the majority of these shows. I don't know if I find that impressive or just sad. ^^;

Every one has brought up Jackie Chan Adventures as one show Bob overlooked but what about Lil' Rosie, which was Rosanne Bar's short lived-animated series?

Although, in retrospect, perhaps its best to forget about that one.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
franksands said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Hear, Hear. I would definitely like more Jack Black games.
but with a keyboard and mouse friendly interface.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
75% of this installment was just random cartoon openings, around the halfway point I started skipping ahead in the video because I didn't want to see any more of that shit, you kept them on for way too long MovieBob -_-

Meh, I guess Bob's allowed to release something like this once in a while (a long while).

RTR said:
I'm disappointed by the lack of Jackie Chan Adventures
Amen :p

TheThirdChild

Feb 16, 2010
Yeah, I'm just going to jump on the bandwagon and mention Jackie Chan Adventures.
I think it was one of the last cartoons I stopped watching as I grew up. I did love it but I think they could have improved the last series to give it less of the, "we're milking it of its last drops" feel.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Strain42 said:
Elijah Newton said:
DVS BSTrD said:
*chuckle* I'll see your Jack Black-ery and raise you KISS: Psycho Circus: Nightmare Child - a game based on a comic based on a band. Truly, truly, I say to you, this is the turducken of games.

Additional weirdness as the band is made of up comic book exaggerations of its members.
I see your KISS: Psycho Cirus and raise...these episodes of Bleep Bloop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7xeksqB1o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2hI9acvNqc

I agree with many others here that Jackie Chan Adventures was a really good one. I can't help but wonder what sort of celebrities would get TV shows like this in todays day and age.

Phelpslantis - A series where Michael Phelps plays the prince of Atlantis forced to live on land by his father?

Nathan Fillion as Nathan Fillion in Nathan Fillion is Nathan Fillion - A show where Nathan Fillion sits in a chair and reads the phone books (thanks to the internet this will last for six seasons)

The Imagination of Seth MacFarlane - A somewhat serious story where Seth MacFarlane becomes a detective inside his own brain in a world where gunshots make fart sounds

...I'll stop now.
And I will raise you the unanimated "KISS meets the Phantom of the Park" and the animated "Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic" based around a real-life Japanese magician (female, in case you were wondering).

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
saintdane05 said:
No mention of Thomas the Tank Engine, AKA Ringo Starr/George Carlin/ALEC DAMN BALDWIN talks for five minutes?

<youtube=iPLCx7jgQq8>
I will hear no words spoken against Beatles narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, heretic!

LadyRhian said:
The animated "Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic" based around a real-life Japanese magician (female, in case you were wondering).

Not gonna lie, I think that show had some potential, and I thought Mariko Itakura was kind of hot when I saw her doing the tricks at the end of each episode. By all accounts, she's actually a damn good illusionist.