The Big Picture: Combat Evolved?

About To Crash

Apr 24, 2009
I don't know if I like it. When I saw MovieBob was doing a new series, I was happy, because I really enjoy Escape to the Movies, but this actually felt more like a watered-down version of what he covers so succinctly in Escape to the Movies. I like the stuff MovieBob talks about, because it's and interesting look into a medium I haven't really been a large part of until recently.
Because of Bob, I've watched a lot of movies, and I'm really grateful for that. It's opened my eyes to unique storytelling techniques and the real feeling involved in a Samurai Duel (Yojimbo, holy crap), or what manages to transcend a tired formula. And through this, Bob's brand of in-depth reviewing has been great in helping me understand how to look at things, but it's alway been easily relatable to a specific medium.
The exact style of this new series is obviously going to change often, and relate to anything Bob bloody well pleases, which is all very well, but it doesn't have as much impact when I can't see that correlation. However, Escape to the Movies, awesome.

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
I loved this thing. Said everything I've always thought about the whole Halo phenomenon out loud.

It's interesting how gameplay driven directives can be construed, using fairly logical points, into something more that most likely wasn't intended in the beginning. It's funny, but how the hell was bungie supposed to make a game about fighting space aliens without variety? Look at gears of war where you fight endless hordes of white peopl...I mean locusts, that pretty much look the same thanks to their palette color.

But yeah, the whole story behind the story is fairly clear. Also of note should be that it is kinda touched upon in the Halo graphic novel bit by Moebius (fascism, soldier worship, and propaganda).

But at the end of it all, the game is all about shooting grown up versions of sesame street characters. And a fun game at that.

Bruden

Oct 26, 2009
Akalabeth said:
Bruden said:
Sure, people assume the Humans are good because we're human and we're playing the humans so obviously we're the good guys. That view doesn't really hold up under scrutiny though. In the course of the 3 primary games the humans let loose the flood into the galaxy and spend 1/2 the time destroying the only tools proven to exterminate the flood. Letting loose the thing that pretty effectively wiped out all life in the galaxy is not exactly what you'd consider a good thing.
They released the flood by accident. Morally it's irrelevant. Doesn't affect the view of humanity either way.
Letting them out, I'll let you have that one being irrelevant. It's still on rather shaky ground, ignorance is not the best excuse for galactic scale genocide. But you can not argue that blowing up the one thing that puts them back in the box is morally irrelevant.

And while we're at it lets talk about the idea that the writers are supporting the master race Spartan's sameness policy, what is the one thing that rings true for the whole of the series? It doesn't matter what Master Chief is doing, all that spartan gun slinging does nothing to prevent humanity losing every single battle against the covenant.
The Spartans don't have to be winning the war to be supported. Master Chief is the go to guy, the only one who gets things done. Not only that, but was the first Halo a defeat? Chief + Cortana blew it up.
Master Chief is the go to guy sure, he successfully kills a lot of enemy soldiers and not much else. After all, Master Chief's hard work we're still left with a burning earth.
As for blowing up the first Halo they found? Again comes that whole blowing up the one thing that puts the jack back in the box. If the flood spread across the galaxy preying on everything in existence before the only thing stopping them this time is... well... it's nothing now you blew it up. Way to go hero.

By the end of the second game it's been made clear that Earth is the only remaining human population center.
That's never stated in the game so far as I can remember. Earth is important, obviously, but only remaining colony/population centre? Nope.
you're right, they never say "if we loose earth humanity is extinct." They do make some insignificant little quips about what's in orbit being humanity's last line of defense, and a few trivial little things about the covenant wiping out every human world they find. So you're right the games don't specifically spell it out, just surround the hints in giant blinking neon lights, which the books proceed to fill in in bold.

Halo 3's ending leaves an entire continent glassed, people are worried about a little co2 causing global warming, after glassing Africa all of Earth is going to be uninhabitable. So where does that leave humanity?
Unsupported conjecture.
Did you see a stream of evacuation ships at the end of Halo 3?
Do you know what effect the energy beams from Covenant carriers have on a planet's habitability? From the GAMES that is. Not the novels.
From the game's themselves, the covenant use plasma weapons, and the energy of their beams are hot enough to cause dirt to turn to glass. If super-heating an entire continent in a single go doesn't spell global disaster nothing does. The end of Halo 3 is not filled with a dying Earth and humanity scrambling to evacuate because it's supposed to be a happy ending. The ending of Halo 3 is as happy an ending as the end of Star Wars 6, it's just the writers looking down in frustration at a terrible, but logical, end to their writing and going "screw it, celebration scene... and roll credits!" It's a cop out ending, it makes people feel happy and satisfied without having to sit through months of rewrites to get your plot to a point that the ending makes any sense at all.

Now then, how about the covenant. Obviously they're evil because they're against the humans. Again evidence doesn't really support this.
Covenant regularly kill unarmed civilians in the games. This is generally considered bad. They use suicide bombers and have little regard for their own troops, again this is bad. They take no prisoners, except those important to the plot. They lie and subvert the truth to their own people, etcetera, and so on. Hell every covenant we see is a soldier. Are there no technicians on spaceships? No one unarmed for the Spartans to kill? Even the guys in wheel chairs have big laser cannons. When does humanity get a chance to be bad?
Suicide bombers, or sending your soldiers on a suicide mission it's the same thing just one gets less firepower. The humans also take no prisoners even though the grunts often scream and try to run away, heck sometimes the player doesn't even get to kill the retreating grunts because an npc soldiers steps up to shoot them in the back. Lie and subvert their own people, read every politician ever, and specific example from the games "no spartan dies, they're marked as missing in action." All the covenant we see are soldiers... yeah that tends to happen when you're fighting on your own home turf against an invading army.

And here again we see the issue with the idea that the Halo games are anti diversity, as it's abundantly clear that the Covenant are not only winning, they're winning so hard that their most devoted troops have to flip sides just to stop the humans from going extinct by the end of Halo 3.
Anti-diversity is in the moralistic PORTRAYAL of the Covenant. Not in their successes. How "hard" they're winning is irrelevant. It's about morality, not their ability to succeed. The fact that they're winning just makes them a threat.
Except every negative portrayal of the covenant revolves around their religious zealotry. The game never pays any attention to the diversity of their ranks, but we pretty clearly see that the more religious the covenant soldier, the more evil he's portrayed.

The idea that Halo is in anyway promoting the Nazi master race ideals, or is preaching the evils of diversity is the uneducated man's surface reading from the game. The same kind of simplistic insight is what leads people to think Guy Fawkes wanted more freedom in his attempt to blow up Parliament.
It's a legitimate reading, that your post doesn't effectively counter. Is it one I support? No, not really. I'm just being devil's advocate, and movie Bob is largely reading between the lines. But the premise of his argument is interesting and is supported, however unintentionally, by the plot.

Though the clean shaven, eyes change to blue thing is a little suspect. Though it's in an advert, not the bonafide game so not sure it has any real weight.
It's not even close to legitimate. Unless your idea of supporting is watching the "master race" lose through the entire story to be saved by another race. Movie Bob is reading between the lines of Reach and Reach alone. Halo Reach is not intended to be played separated from the context of the previous Halo games. It's supposed to be a low quality bone tossed to rabid fan boys. Playing Reach and trying to make judgments about the Halo series as a whole is like jumping into a tv show for the season finale and using it to judge the entire series. Just don't do it, you obviously don't understand what the hell is going on and you're making an ass out of yourself by rambling on about a story you've barely gotten any portion of.

JFSOCC

Apr 5, 2010
Bob misses the point again, thanks for screwing up your pilot. that way I'll be sure not to watch this show of yours either.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
good start, but i think he was reading too mch into the whole diversity issue, i think the reason for the diverse races was really just for gameplay reasons to add veriety.

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
WOOOO new show that isn't crap!(hit it with axe)

love moviebob! hate boring whores.

Sanctus Hospes

Sep 18, 2009
Personal take?

The Covenant have a plethora of different races because Bungie needed diverse enemies. Then when the franchise exploded, so did the detail to the Covenant.

CSM

Nov 10, 2009
From watching this it shows that movie bob knows nothing about the halo series. Ive always thought and this further proves it; that if you know nothing about the series of a game you shouldn't talk about it.
And besides he was just using halo as a tool just so he can talk about his views on cultural diversity. That is something I don't come to the escapist to hear. We already hear enough of it from Al Shaprton and Jesse Jackson. Last thing we need is someone who tires to evaluate things too much, takes things out of context, and does not see the actual 'Big Picture' right in front of them. Yeah I said it.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Woah, Bob has a new show. Nice.

Interesting observations, I approve. And despite the comedy, this setup has an usual sense of stylish sophistication.

Hmm, yes, quite.

DPunch4

May 6, 2009
holy crap..... a three year member got perma-banned on page 18....

I can see why he would get in trouble but wow.... 3 years on an account gone for that?

I think that the rules are being enforced a little too harshly on the escapist....

OT: love the new show, i'm a halo fan. and i still love seeing buthurt fanboys who don't get it :D.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Well, to be honest, the Spartans are all faceless (the ones representing the player) so that the player can think of the Spartan as "them" without being distracted by seeing someone else's face and/or hair. And as others have pointed out, the aliens are diverse so that the players have different kinds of targets to try and take out. But yeah, I don't like the whole "Blue eyes" thing either. Will their hair turn blonde, too? We sure can't see under those helmets. :p It's definitely a mixed and bad message.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Looking way too much into the blue eyes there Bob; I didn't even notice it untill you shoved it in my face. But I guess where some people see subtle idolisation of the master race, I just see blue eyes.

And seriously, Halo again? You know what else is a sign of fascism; becoming fundamentally agressive toward something, like for instance, shooters and Halo. Drop the tunnelvision Bob, it's getting tiresome.

Dance Commander

Sep 10, 2010
God damn

It's because the enemies need variety in order to keep the game fun and interesting

Movie Bob doesn't even know what he is talking about 90% of the time, check out his Other M shitpile for reference

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Excellent work. I think this will probably be my new favorite series on The Escapist. I love to over-think things and flex my analytic might. I'm glad to see that there's a show now that does the very same.

Also, I'm glad to see it draws from multiple sources. It's about time the Escapist had something that has no distinct guidelines for subject matter except the culture surrounding it. It affords a much more detailed discussion of particular topics without being relegated to how it affects the critic's given media.

minarri

Dec 31, 2008
I thought he'd rip on the combat system, and I was left disappointed. Oh well. I guess it was interesting enough in its own right. Still hate his voice though...