The Big Picture: Continanity

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
Now that you've all watched this confusing explaination about the madness that is DC continuity, prepare to have your minds blown: that was a simplified, rough overview of all that happened when it comes to DC and the various crisis. We're not even going to get into the insanity that was the Silver Age.

Search "Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane" and "Superman's Pal Jimmy Olson" and see just how far the crazy hole goes.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
I read DC primarily for how much I love this sort of thing. They take all the crazy sci-fi stuff I love and push it right past the limits. Is it dramatic when a character dies in a self-sacrificing way? then it's going to happen, probably several times with the same character. Is it cool when a character goes "beyond their limits" to protect someone? Than they'll probably be doing it every week.

Of course it's silly, but you have to approach the universe on it's own terms, just like with any other story.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Bifford said:
I've often pointed out on DC message boards that this confusing continuity problem is why comic books sell so poorly. The typical responses from fanboys have either been:

1) Comics can't compete with TV and videogames, etc., which is the real reason they are failing

2) If newbies are too lazy to do their research on Wikipedia, then they should fuck off.
That is sad and untrue to some degree.

1) TV has been available since the 1950s and it can be argued video games hit their zenith in the last 1970s and early 1980s at which point they imploded. Comics as MovieBob (under Game Overthinker pointed) out in another one of his videos got big in the late 1980s early 1990s.

2) Wikipedia is only as good as the editors that put content put into it and it is NOT always accurate (information being left out or just plain wrong). Also thanks to what have become nearly constant reboots and retcons most characters make Sonic's history understandable. There is a REASON many long time Marvel/DC fans want to go find a good solid wall to slam their head against rather than explain the convoluted Rude Goldburg on acid mess that passes for continuity when one asks to explain the Phoenix Force or the Hawks and more you know the WORSE it gets.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Ugh, Superboy-Prime. Hated, hated, HATED him. Easily the whiniest, most self-entitled, overpowered, unkillable character I've ever encountered.

Wucas

Feb 7, 2011
Did superman rip that guy's arm off for being too dark? Can someone explain that one to me please?

googleback

Apr 15, 2009
At the end of the day... They want more comics to sell... its not like TV where it goes till it sucks then gets cancelled. supply and demand.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
Over the last few months I've collected and read Crisis On Infinite Earths, Infinite Crisis and allllll of the current Geoff Johns Green Lanten stuff (which is utterly fantastic) and now I'm currently reading Final Crisis (even though I've already read Blackest Night and not yet finished 52... yeah) and Final Crisis...is... weeeeeeeeeeiiird! Every page makes my brain hurt and every big shocking event (J'onn J'onnzz's death and Barry Allen's return are so underplayed, almost as if they're no big deal. It's certainly... an interesting read