The Big Picture: Copywrong

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
hiei82 said:
shirkbot said:
I'm not sure the companies are refusing to adapt so much as I think copyright law is encouraging and/or compelling bad behavior. I mean, in trademark law if your trademark becomes so ubiquitous that everyone uses it even for generic products, then you quickly lose your trademark. I get the sense copyright law is somewhat similar in this regard. The fact that Youtube has consigned this job to unthinking robots is only putting pressure on an already outdated system and making the cracks more visible. It's a good idea, but the law has not kept up with the times. It's just too lengthy and inflexible to cope with the way the internet deals with content.
Less so. Copyright law gives exclusive production rights to the creator of the art for a set period of time (Life of the author + 70 years I think).
Ugh, that's Disney's copyright extensions at work.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Scrumpmonkey said:
"Adapt or fail"

I'm afraid that this does not apply for many corporations that have any kind of large influence, in the USA especially, and that companies like Warner Brothers and the like warp the law and practices around them to creative an uncompetitive system.

We don't have a free market. The game is rigged.
On the other hand, reality is on our side.

The Internet is getting too big to break it, and short of breaking it, there is no way the Copyright Industry will be capable of stopping people from breaking copyright instead.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I do not believe in IP as property in the traditional sense rather I believe you can limit its profit rights to the IP owner and whoever they license it too. Without a revenue stream something cannot be distributed to the point it gains enough market share to do damage thus you limit IP to true non profiting ventures and those with the license to sell it.

As far as copy right goes I believe if it has not gaining revenue it can do no harm. Copyright needs to be based more on revenue stream/profit and less on distribution. As far as fair use goes it needs hard limits based on time/quality factors as so lawyers cannot sue you at the drop of a hat. We also need a IP system that can easily track harmless noncommercial derived works like re mixs and music video tributes. This way a for profit site like youtube just selects the IP owner and the IP owner gets a cut of revenue and no one gets banned or a video gets blocked. Basically a system that seeks to okay harmless and or nonprofit redistribution first before trying to ban it because it shows too much, ect.

As far as copy right goes I believe if it has not revenue stream that it can do no harm. Copyright needs needs to be based more on revenue stream/profit and less on distribution. As far as fair use goes it needs hard limits based on

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
I can understand Hollywood getting pissed that movies are being illegally posted online but part of that is their own fault for multiple reasons. One of them is that most movies or TV shows have yet to made public via DVD/Blu-Ray or digital download. For example, there are tons of import shows from Japan where a lot of people want to see (I.E. the Kamen Rider and Sentai series) but its not happening due to companies sitting on them and not considering the idea that there is a market for this stuff outside of their own country. Same with Hollywood, especially older movies that haven't seen a new release since it was put out on VHS. There is a lot of profit to be made, maybe not big profit, but you have to think long term rather than focus on the quick buck.

In regards to the "Let's Play" copyright issue, YouTube/Google, the movie, and the games industry need to get their heads out of their asses and figure this shit out properly. Because if they continue with shutting down channels and hurting the people, THEY WILL FUCKING LOSE! What makes me sure about that? Talk to the music industry about their legal battle against Napster. When someone made a program where people can share songs and movies for free, the corporations tried taking them to court for cutting them out of their profit. But, ironically, they began losing money due to the countless lawsuits they had to file. Also, Steve Jobs came along with iTunes and not only revolutionized the industry but made the companies carrying out these lawsuits look even more retarded.

I admit, its a different situation than what YouTube/Google have on their hands but its boils down to one thing-companies trying to resist change. Companies need to learn how to adapt to the ever evolving presence of technology and they need to hammer out new copyright rules that will benefit all parties and not just themselves. To me, what these channels are doing is offer free advertisement for new and older games. I'm willing to bet that if someone watches a tutorial on a new fighting game or a "Let's play" on a classic game, they will want to purchase and play this game. They need to take advantage of this and not strike down people who could be working alongside you. If they continue to step on the backs of the people, then they better not act surprised when the people strike back.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Akichi Daikashima said:
The Content ID thing is not about game publishers wanting to obscure criticism.
Maybe it's because I've got a major case of the flu, but I thought his point was how it could lead to that exact premise, not that this was the current point.
True, but he opens up with it, so he implies that that the Content ID thing is designed to allow the removal of criticism.

It could be because I have a bad habit of writing my response as I watch the video.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Communism is the solution.

1st, in Communism working hours are reduced, giving people more time to produce art.
2nd, what drives most artists and intellectual work isn't money (check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc) and in Communism poverty is not a preocupation.
Not really as you will never attain true Communism as the people at the top will acquire more and more while placing more burdens upon the public. Capitalism works in the sense that you give ALL people the chance to acquire more the trouble is if you set apart those at the top as untouchable nobility it will collapse just the same.

shirkbot

Apr 15, 2013
Zachary Amaranth said:
Stop quoting me, you make me feel stupid... But in all seriousness, thank you for the corrections. This is largely the fault of Google/Youtube, if not entirely, and they really need to sort themselves out. Or at least hire some people to do the bots' jobs. Come on Google, you could probably singlehandedly solve the unemployment problem!

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:

1st, in Communism working hours are reduced, giving people more time to produce art.
2nd, what drives most artists and intellectual work isn't money (check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XAPnuFjJc) and in Communism poverty is not a preocupation.
Not really as you will never attain true Communism as the people at the top will acquire more and more while placing more burdens upon the public. Capitalism works in the sense that you give ALL people the chance to acquire more the trouble is if you set apart those at the top as untouchable nobility it will collapse just the same.
Capitalism gives ALL people chance to acquire more (I dispute this), but that does not mean that everyone CAN adquire more. The problem is that in a Capitalistic society there will ALWAYS be exploitations of the working class.

Just like Capitalism was an upgrade compared to Feudalism, Communism is the next natural step.
I can agree with that the only trouble is you are going to have to get rid of governmental corruption and greed for it to happen.Its going to take awhile for humanity to get away from greed and self interest when that happens you will get a stable long lasting communistic system.

hiei82

Dire DM (+2 HD and a rend attack
Aug 10, 2011
Falseprophet said:
hiei82 said:
The thing about copyright law is that its up to the owner of the rights to enforce. No country spends time looking for people braking patent and copyright law; they just expect owners to bring cases of infringement to them.
Ahem:

7 Charged as F.B.I. Closes a Top File-Sharing Site [http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/21/technology/megaupload-indictment-internet-piracy.html]

Why is the Department of Homeland Security shutting down popular rap sites? [http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/11/30/homeland-security-rap-blog/]

I think governments have shown a willingness to play hitman on behalf of big corporate content-owners. That should be frightening.
1st off, that's the point. It's up to the owners of copyrights/patents to point out when someone is abusing their copyrights; then the government steps in to enforce the law. This isn't the government "playing hitman"; it's the government protecting the rights of creators in accordance with the law.

2nd, both of those articles show pretty clearly that the government and companies were in the right (at least in this particular case). Not frightening to me at all.

Caostotale

Mar 15, 2010

Easy does it there, friend. While you're certainly correct, humanity still hasn't come to grips with ethical ideas from the Enlightenment, and that was a century before Marxism (and I wonder if I'm being too generous and the same could be said of most ethical ideas introduced by artists and philosophers of the ancient world also). Our collective failing to wrangle even basic ideas like freedom of speech, freedom of privacy, and so on is more than enough to attest to the idea that our glorious capitalism has more than a little feudalist/Pharaoh-like baggage. I certainly want to have faith in the idea that Marx's dialectical model of history could transpire over the whole of time, but the idea that the 'capitalism' that we all know adhered (and continues to adhere) to some 'invisible hand of the market' or whatever has been complete bullshit at all historical points.

upgray3dd

Jan 6, 2011
Am I crazy, or has Bob been exceptionally insightful these past couple of weeks?

OT: The "internet is the new world" metaphor makes sense, but that only covers the psychology. Just because two conflicts are started for the same reasons doesn't mean they will end the same way.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
How much do successful lets players make out of ad money? It can't be like thousands of dollars a month, right?

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Sadly though the point is clearly missed. This isn't ONLY about the big publishers, and for the most part some of the publishers didn't even want this. What's happened is publishers on kept the rights the music, mo cap, voice acting for so long that it went back to the People that made it and now THEY are seeing their work being used in not fair-use and in stuff people are making money off it.

Music is the big thing right now, It might not be the publisher claiming the music, it might be the person that made it that made a hundred or so bucks making it. You have Guy Cihi, who was only paid once for his voice acting and mocap and still owns it who could take down every silent hill 2 gameplay footage if he wanted.

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Hmm well at least there are always other things besides youtube and I see more people flocking over to something else or maybe even getting their own websites for videos and such to keep the entire ad rev.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Another problem with this fiasco is this:

People are abusing it like crazy. In another topic I mentioned that some russian whore claimed she owns the word Persona and abused the YT copyright system and had every video relating to the word persona got removed. Even Atlus themselves got hit by it. Same with Littlekuriboh and every hater thinking they can pretend to be 4kids and SEGA with anything that involves the Shining Force game series.

That's the first thing we need to get rid of.