The Big Picture: Correctitude

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Correctitude

MovieBob discusses the difference between being politically incorrect and just being a big, fat jerk.

Watch Video

House_Vet

Dec 27, 2009
Damn! Nicely done Bob! God it's good to hear someone step out from the mainstream and say something original (or at least more so than we're used to.)

samus17

Jun 5, 2010
Not bad, but I don't remember the resident evil 5 racism scandal being quite like how you portray it. I'm pretty sure the complaints were "whitey killing blacks" and not "misuse of tribal imagery" But hey, I could be wrong.

Edit: Before the MovieBob defense force comes to crucify me, here's a quote from a group of the complainer's since the original article has been taken down.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer

Larmo

May 20, 2008
God i loved this, i was thinking this the other day when i heard someone making race 'jokes' (the kind that aren't even remotely funny) at the mall the other day, one of his friend called him out on it and he went on about "you just PC" and i though to myself, no your just an ass, but seeing as i was eavesdropping and the time it seemed impolite to comment.

Zepren

The Funnyman
Sep 2, 2009
Bob is angry!!!! *cowers*

Spot on as always man. Can't we turn you into some sort of cyber vigilante? Just you in a superhero costume with the caption "Bob disapproves". Or something similar...

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I agree with some parts of it and not others. For my part, I don't go out of my way to be a jerk, but I don't walk on eggshells either. Also, I firmly believe that "he" and the like are still acceptable as neutered pronouns and use them as such. I never replace "man" with "person" and I have only met a single African American in my life. Met a lot of black people, though.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I have a rule of thumb regarding political incorrectness: you can make a joke about anything you like, but if it's racist/sexist/otherwise offensive, it has to be very, very funny or clever to make up for it. Just being rude for the sake of it isn't nearly enough. Meanwhile, as Bob says, 'political correctness' is mostly just courtesy. And when it does 'go mad' - not nearly as often as bigots would have us believe - it's mostly as a result of ignorance, which is inexcusable in anyone (as with the poor guy that got fired for using the word 'niggardly')

Nice movie - any particular reason it popped up now, other than just the Thor thing?

OpenLoungeSteve

Feb 16, 2011
Interesting, a well made argument as always and very thought provoking. Not sure I completely agree with you this week but I can see your point, ESPECIALLY the bit about "words mean things." Too often people have to skirt around their opinions because they are trying not to offend anyone. Honesty is a better option than being secretive about your opinions.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
samus17 said:
Not bad, but I don't remember the resident evil 5 racism scandal being quite like how you portray it. I'm pretty sure the complaints were "whitey killing blacks" and not "misuse of tribal imagery" But hey, I could be wrong.

Edit: Before the MovieBob defense force comes to crucify me, here's a quote from a group of the complainer's since the original article has been taken down.
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-critical-of-resident-evil-5-trailer
In all fairness, thats a valid point even without the link. At least you were civil about it rather than storming in saying "You're a load of shit Bob, and I know better than you because etc, etc..."

Quite vindictive towards the end this week Bob. Presumably you had a run in with a particularly pig headed pc-user?

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
Hm. It´s hard to express my feelings on this.

You mentioned Resident evil 5. I don´t agree with you. They weren´t being jerks. Sure, there are people who use that sheild, but the problem is that it´s pretty damn hard to point out if someone is just hiding behind the "polictically incorrect" shield or if they are honestly "polictically incorrect" since it´s mostly a matter of definition, which i think no word should be. And no law should be.

(This has nothing to do with the rest of the post, but i feel i should bring this up. Sexual harassment is one of the most stupid laws ever, since it´s the VICTIM who defines the crime, and not a third-person/book. For example, whistling may be for some women completly acceptable and maybe even flattering, but for other, IT`S SEXUAL HARASSMENT. Laws need to be clearly defined, not be defined by the victim.)

Using a fried chicken joke to insult Obama is obviously stupid and jerk-ish, but like you mentioned, Resident evil 5.

Are they being jerks? In my opinion, no. In your opinion, yes. It´s a hard issue to define, and i think the world would be better if the term "Polictically correct" didn´t exist.
And lastly, people should be allowed to say whatever they want (unless it´s threats, ofcourse), no matter if it "offends a certain group of people" if i say everone who eats...i dunno...chicked sallad are dim-witted cocksuckers, i should be allowed to say that. I should be ignored, because i´m stupid, sure, but i should be allowed to say it.

If it seems strange that i brought up that last point, in Sweden, we have a law that says you are not allowed to insult someone based on religion, gender or race.

se7ensenses

Jun 10, 2009
Every single comedian he mentioned at the end of the video are the GREATEST COMEDIANS EVER (except Sam lol) Nice shoutout! Kudos Bob!