The Big Picture: Depth of a Salesman

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Nintendo Power was the first on I'm pretty sure only magazine I ever subscribed to. I should still have about 8 years worth in a box somewhere in my garage.

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
From the UK, we got rid of our version, NOM (Nintendo Official Magazine) years ago and replaced it the very next month with ONM (Official Nintendo Magazine), you get over it pretty quickly.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah Bob, I gotta say I feel the same way. Nintendo Power was the first gaming magazine I ever read, actually it was the first magazine period, that I ever read, let alone subscribed to. Good bye Nintendo Power, we shall miss you.

gardian06

Jun 18, 2012
so, Bob that "Alleged" kid; was that you?

the passing of a media revolutionary. I could see how some Nintendo Loyalists could easily compare this to the passing of Steve Jobs for the Apple Loyalists. (yes they have more in common with each other then you think considering a direct focus on marketing, and they were product placement)

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I guess I was one of the few gamers growing up in the mid-80s who didn't read Nintendo Power. My gaming periodical of choice was Video Games & Computer Entertainment [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VideoGames_%26_Computer_Entertainment], which also featured tips, tricks & walkthroughs (would never have beat Mega Man II without them), not just for NES but for Sega and PC as well. And it occasionally had actual journalism--for most of the late 80s and early 90s, VGCE seemed to be on a crusade against Nintendo's tyrannical and monopolistic business practices, which continues to colour my opinion of the Big N today.

But I can completely empathize with the passing of something from your youth. I still miss arcade culture.

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
The Simpsons episode The Book Job pretty much expresses my views on the "exploitation" of children by commercialized media.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
MovieBob said:
Depth of a Salesman

MovieBob says goodbye to Nintendo Power.

Watch Video
you forget bob, Prime's death didn't just effect transformers, but GI Joe as well, i heard they where planning on killing off duke in the movie as well, but the back lash from Prime's death forced them to back out of that.

case any ones wondering, it was in the 20th anniversary DVD release of the Transformers movie, in the special features some where.

anyway, it is sad to hear the NP is stopping production, it was a great help when i was little, maps, being the greatest help.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
While they might have been commercials, crap is crap and cool is cool. If the product isn't any good it isn't going to sell no matter how much commercialization they throw at it (see EA in another year or two).

But it is something to be aware of as adults

Besides Transformers and GI Joe kicked butt back in the day. =)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Interesting story about the FCC. I keep hearing (on forums where My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is discussed) that in the Liberal Paradise Known as Europe, it's illegal to have any advertising in kids' shows at all, or something. Which doesn't explain how networks that revolve around kids' programming stay in business, or what shows imported from the United States do with the extra eight to nine minutes per half hour, or for that matter why merchandise-driven shows like My Little Pony that apparently wouldn't have been legal in the US before Reagan are OK over there now. Perhaps some of our European viewers can enlighten me.

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
I got a lot of my player's guides from renewing my subscription to Nintendo Power. It's really sad that it's gone.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
My friend and I were subscribed to Nintendo Power for years. I remember my subscription ending on the cliffhanger issue of The Legend of Zelda comic (back then NP had two continuing comics in their magazine, one based on Super Mario World and one based on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past) when Zelda gets zapped by Agahnim, and for the longest time I thought she was actually dead. That's one hell of a bombshell to drop on a kid, it affected me more than the death of Superman (seriously, who cared about Superman in the early 90's). It wasn't until later when I actually played the game and read my buddy's copy of the following issue that I learned all was well.

Of course I never renewed my subscription because a few years later the Sony Playstation came out frankly I was tired of paying hard-earned money on three pages of gaming info wrapped in a $10 magazine. Though I did pick up one or two issues of that old PSM or Playstation Magazine. The guys running that one were pretty funny, but by then it was just for the laughs, never for any real gaming lore. As Bob said, the internet happened, and magazines have swiftly fallen out of fashion.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Ya know what happened about 2 or 3 weeks before the Nintendo Power announcement was made? I subscribed. I never had a subscription when I was a kid and was only vaguely aware of the magazine's existence when I was younger. I may have had a subscription for a year but Gamepro was the one my parents ended up signing me up for since it had wider console coverage.

Great episode Bob, kinda reminded me of the 'Why we love Gaming' Overthinker episode in a way.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Another great episode. I had a subscription for a time but eventually canceled when I become a playstation fanboy and in my mind at that age I couldn't enjoy both nintendo and playstation. Just impossibru

Ending was a nice touch but it made me feel damn uncomfortable I won't lie hah

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Nope, there couldn't possibly have been far-reaching effects of blatant commercialization of childrens' shows and other media for gen-x-ers and early gen-y-ers down the line. And it couldn't possibly be the case that adults are and have been dumber and easier to influence than you give them credit for.

But just for the sake of argument, what would it be like if there was a whole line of adult-oriented shows that packaged and sold a product? Perhaps one made from the remains of a terrible human's life that existed solely to sell lines of clothing, perfume, magazines, other television shows with various encouragements toward particular lifestyle choices, etc.?

Anybody up for some Jersey Shore?

lithiumvocals

Jun 16, 2010
As someone who is not a big fan of Nintendo outside of maybe Metroid and a frequent hater of Bob's frequent tongue baths of the company, I thought this was a very well done episode. Godspeed, NP.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Nice episode but you do know that most fairytales atleast the original versions werent intended for kids right?