The Big Picture: Depth of a Salesman

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Yeah, great episode... NP's gonna be missed. Like a lot of folk commenting here I have not had a subscription for years. I think my last issue was about this new thing I didn't get into called pokeman.

But yeah, I got the free Dragon Warrior with my subscription and it started a love of RPG's and JRPG's. And just like Bob said, one other guy in my class and I had NP and we were the kings of the emerging gamer culture on the playground.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
KoudelkaMorgan said:
Also, can anyone tell me what is the thing at 3:40-3:42 from? I have a giant toy of it, like a foot tall, and a giant green tentacle monster one too. I remember there was a giant skeleton one too, and it was from a movie I rented when I was probably 5. I have literally no idea wtf it is, but I have never thought of selling it lol.

They have plastic parts on the top of their heads that let light through and makes their fangs/horns glow. I'm sure they are probably highly collectable, but wtf are they?
"The Inhumanoids," short-lived toy-line (promoted via an animated series that only ran a season or so, available on DVD) built around the three main monster bad guys. The main selling point was that they were a lot bigger than many other action figures of the time - the three Inhumanoids themselves are each about a foot tall, like you mentioned. It sounds like the two you have are Metlar (red/silver, leader) and Tendril (plant guy, tentacles); the third being D'Compose (skeleton-monster.)

The line never really took off huge, and today the figures (the big three especially) are sought-after collectors pieces.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
I'd never even heard of Nintendo Power before the news about it going out of print. Mustn't have been as big a thing in the UK. Or maybe just not for my generation.
I think the UK equivalent was Nintendo Official Magazine. Or something like that...

worldruler8

Aug 3, 2010
Capitano Segnaposto said:
The7Sins said:
Satosuke said:
In my house, we got Gamepro and Nintendo Power. My younger brother always dug into NP first.

I always preferred Gamepro because I wanted news for more than just one platform, but NP was just as much a necessary fixture to me as a kid. Now both are gone.

P.S. - Fuck GameInformer.

Did I miss something when GI became more hated than IGN?

I mean, I know the writers are very opinionated and helped alienate a large portion of readers (including me) when they insulted all "Bronies", but what else did they do?
Really GameInformer insulted all bronies? (checks Google) Hmmm it true. Well my respect for them has risen by 300%.

Anyway great episode Bob. It is quite sad to see a piece of many people's childhood die. RIP Nintendo Power. You will be missed.

Was there a reason for this troll post?
I think you know the answer to that question...

Honestly, I was bothered when I noticed that article. I'm not a brony, wouldn't consider myself one, but the fact a "professional" journalist made a stupid article like that was just disrespectful. But the thing that ultimately made me swear off Gameinformer was when they made an "article" denouncing the entitled manbabys for making Bioware make a new ending, which was wrong. They were changing (read as: turns out they WERE making a new ending) the endings, not adding a newer one. Later they deleted the article in question. That's why I hate GI. They let their emotions get in the way of their journalism.

OP: I never subbed Nintendo Power, and I don't like Nintendo games to the level where I would solely get them and not other games. So consider me indifferent.

DaRigger420

Jun 26, 2010
I am sad at the passing of Nintendo Power, but my nephew is going to be devastated. He is just hitting the age when reading is starting to come easier for him and NP is one of his favorites. Reguardless of the commercial nature of the publication, it has incouraged a whole generation or two to read that may have tuned out to the idea if not for the flashy pages of Mario, Ninja Turtles, etc.

Nentendo Power, I wont say goodbye as that feels to final. Instead I will say farewell. You will always be with us and remembered in the hearts and minds of all of us that still have that kid inside frantically smashing A and B whilst trying to get just one more coin from that question-block brick.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Growing up in Spain and then Germany I didn't read any gaming magazines until the '00s and I was fully addicted to gaming by then. Game stores and hear-say propaganda were more then enough to suck me in so I can't say I'm to sad about this magazine closing it's business.

CAPTCHA

Mushroom Camper
Sep 30, 2009
I'm from the UK so no Nintendo Power. I never had a Nintendo either for that matter.

The gaming magazine of my youth was Amstrad Action.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
hentropy said:
It's interesting how the deregulation of TV by Reagan in the 80s led to a bunch of things that were much more important in retrospect, such as the elimination of the fairness doctrine, which has made every hour of 24-hour news networks completely partisan opinion programming.
Oh, I don't know about that. CNN doesn't seem to have any particular bias. And by that I mean, everyone says it's biased, but Republicans say it's liberal and Democrats say it's conservative, so they're probably both reading bias into programming where there is none. Granted, CNN is also full of useless blather about stories nobody should care about, but the fairness doctrine wouldn't have prevented that anyway.

Besides, most of what passes for "fairness" on TV news is just giving a mouthpiece to whack jobs and treating it like a debate between two equally reasonable sides. "Some say it's wrong to go around lynching gay people. But others beg to differ! Let's hear what they have to say." I am only slightly exaggerating. And that's how it is now; imagine if they were all required by law to do that all the time.
The point is that that's not the way it used to be... TV stations didn't even do opinion programming much because the FFC wasn't known for being lenient on that rule. If they detected any bias it could have held the same kind of fines as not bleeping the right word or wardrobe malfunctions. The only time they did it was Sunday morning talk shows when they would have two different politicians on. But now you have two 24 hour networks that are nothing but partisan opinion programming passing as news and journalism. I'm not necessarily saying this is horrible thing, I'm all for freedom of speech fundamentally, but there's no denying that discourse in the US changed radically over the last 2 decades as a result of not even having to pretend to be fair and balanced. Such deregulation probably went without notice when it first happened, but it had a huge impact.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
Satosuke said:
In my house, we got Gamepro and Nintendo Power. My younger brother always dug into NP first.

I always preferred Gamepro because I wanted news for more than just one platform, but NP was just as much a necessary fixture to me as a kid. Now both are gone.

I mean, I know the writers are very opinionated and helped alienate a large portion of readers (including me) when they insulted all "Bronies", but what else did they do?
I'm just sick and tired of getting GI hocked at me when I go to Gamestop, especially when I looked at it recently and its news was lacking at best. It's a vestigial mouthpiece of Gamestop.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
I knew all those covers. Man I am getting dated here. It is sad to see a mark of your youth go. It reminds me that I am in fact older in years but games keep me young at heart.

Katya Topolkaraeva

Dec 9, 2010
Very nice video. Very. Not into that publication and never was, however i def had that with other gaming publications and def. understand what you mean about the influence they had on us before internet. way to go!

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
Yeah, the entire thing is a mess looking at it now after having read so much more stuff that's actually good in the 20 years since then. I could easily believe that it came from a Superman/Hulk story or was at least inspired by someone's idea for one, but judging by how they handled it that wouldn't've turned out well at the time either. I also forgot how much I hated the art style they used for stuff like that back then.

Really the only reason it sits on my shelf with all my other stuff is as a reminder to myself of why I generally don't read or buy anything that's part of mainstream DC/Marvel continuity anymore, because while most of it is far better than that, there's really something to be said for self-contained stories that don't have to worry about decades of history or the dozens of other books currently being published. Every now and then there's something like Superman: Secret Identity to remind me that miracles happen even with the major characters.
I've seen plenty of terrible self-contained comics too, though. I know The Dark Knight Returns is when everyone jumped on the "Batman is dark and edgy" schtick, but the story itself is pretty boring. Ask around: people will tell you they "loved" DKR, but how many of them can tell you what their favorite part was? Who the characters were besides an old Batman and a girl Robin? I bet half the people who claim to love DKR don't even know that Two-Face is in it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
worldruler8 said:
The7Sins said:
Satosuke said:

Really GameInformer insulted all bronies? (checks Google) Hmmm it true. Well my respect for them has risen by 300%.

Anyway great episode Bob. It is quite sad to see a piece of many people's childhood die. RIP Nintendo Power. You will be missed.

Was there a reason for this troll post?
I think you know the answer to that question...

Honestly, I was bothered when I noticed that article. I'm not a brony, wouldn't consider myself one, but the fact a "professional" journalist made a stupid article like that was just disrespectful. But the thing that ultimately made me swear off Gameinformer was when they made an "article" denouncing the entitled manbabys for making Bioware make a new ending, which was wrong. They were changing (read as: turns out they WERE making a new ending) the endings, not adding a newer one. Later they deleted the article in question. That's why I hate GI. They let their emotions get in the way of their journalism.

OP: I never subbed Nintendo Power, and I don't like Nintendo games to the level where I would solely get them and not other games. So consider me indifferent.
You think that's bad you should see their JRPG reviews.

IT'S NOT CoD SO IT SUCKS!!!1!!!! is pretty much all their reviews nowadays.