The Big Picture: Don't Censor Me!

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Don Incognito said:
The Deadpool said:
Don Incognito said:
It's not censorship either.

If a bunch of people walk into my office, stand in the lobby, and rant and rave about anything and nothing in particular, it is not censorship if I make them leave.
Kinda.

It is justified. It is righteous. It is legal.

But it is also breaching their free speech.
I'm sorry, but you are just completely wrong.

It is NOT breaching their free speech. They have still have that right.

But they do NOT have the right to do so on my property.
Right is a matter of legality.

Free speech can be infringed upon, even legally, with the right reason ("Fire!" in a crowded theater for a typical example). It is STILL an infringement on free speech.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Don Incognito said:
The Deadpool said:
Don Incognito said:

If a bunch of people walk into my office, stand in the lobby, and rant and rave about anything and nothing in particular, it is not censorship if I make them leave.
Kinda.

You're taking away their free speech on your property then.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
NiPah said:
Don Incognito said:
The Deadpool said:
Don Incognito said:

Kinda.

That is not what "free speech" means.

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
The Deadpool said:
Yelling "Fire" IS free speech. It isn't legally sanctioned because its potential to causing bodily harm to other people is deemed too great.

The law limits our free speech in order to keep us unharmed as best as possible.
Free speech is a concept, based on the broader concept of freedom. If something isn't "protected speech", to use American parlance, then it isn't free speech at all. You don't have the freedom to insult others (you have the ability, but that is merely a fact and not a freedom), so prohibitions on insulting others don't limit your freedom, as something that doesn't exist can't be limited. Just like there is no general freedom to kill people which is then "limited" by the law requiring you to not kill people.

The Deadpool said:
Indeed it is not. To censor is not necessarily "evil." And that could have been the the subject matter of this video, instead of trying to change the meaning of words...
But the broader point still holds. Saying you are being treated unjustly because you have been censored doesn't work unless you can show why what happened to you is wrong, specifically.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Don Incognito said:
NiPah said:
Don Incognito said:
The Deadpool said:
Don Incognito said:

Kinda.

You're getting into legal definitions which vary by country, I'm just breaking down the word: freedom (you are able/not blocked from) and speech (verbal communication).
You can block what people say, like you said it's your yard, but you are blocking people's speech.
This isn't even a bad thing, I just get pissed when someone blocks another person from talking then says "it's not blocking free speech, I'm not a government!"
Just something to keep in mind.

Mik Sunrider

Dec 21, 2013
No, Deadpool; you are incorrect. It has NOTHING to do with context. When you are on someone's private property; their home, business or website; you have a formal or informal agreement with said owner (or if you are the owner with your guest) about a code of conduct that you will follow when on said private property. If you fail or someone else have fail to follow the code of conduct, they have every right to ask you to leave. You can stand outside their property and scream at the top of your lungs about how unfair they are but that is all that is going to happen to you. Because they can not enforce their views on you outside of their private property.
The government can, will and has many times in the past, all over the world jail, fine or executed people for saying, acting or supporting activities and speeches that they , the government, do not approve of. They can and will hunt down those they don't like.
And that is the difference. Between private citizens you are annoyance. With the government you are the latest member of the Stalin Hotel in beautiful Siberia.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
NiPah said:
Don Incognito said:
NiPah said:
Don Incognito said:
The Deadpool said:
Don Incognito said:

Kinda.

You're getting into legal definitions which vary by country, I'm just breaking down the word: freedom (you are able/not blocked from) and speech (verbal communication).
You can block what people say, like you said it's your yard, but you are blocking people's speech.
This isn't even a bad thing, I just get pissed when someone blocks another person from talking then says "it's not blocking free speech, I'm not a government!"
Phrases do not necessarily mean what their individual words mean together.

"free speech" does NOT mean "free" + "speech"

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
NiPah said:
That definition of "freedom" only holds if we talk about what people physically are able though. If, however, we are talking about "limiting one's right to free speech", then "freedom" in understood as a "right" not an ability, as an ability is something you either have or haven't, not something that can be "limited". Whether or not you are able to speak or blocked from speaking is an empirical question for the natural sciences, but when we talk about "rights", we are talking about whether or not something is in accordance with a codex, be it an actually code of law, some sort of natural or intrinsic law, or a code of ethics (essentially, whether or not it's right to do it). In that context, freedom doesn't mean ability, it means being allowed to do something.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
Don Incognito said:
faeshadow said:
The Deadpool said:
aceman67 said:
Telling people they can't post things that were hateful, morally objectionable, racist, or threatening got me a lot of flack about me 'censoring' them and 'violating' their free speech.
It WAS censorship. It WAS violating free speech. It just wasn't illegal. And likely not immoral either.

The problem is that America worships free speech as a concept, but hates it as a fact...
Well, you're half right. It was censorship, but it wasn't violating "free speech", since "free speech" is a reference to the First Amendment of the Constitution, which admin censorship doesn't apply to.

It is censorship. It just happens to be justified censorship that they're within their rights to do.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Stephen St. said:
Free speech is a concept, based on the broader concept of freedom. If something isn't "protected speech", to use American parlance, then it isn't free speech at all.
It IS free speech. It simply isn't protected by law, hence its name.

You are still confusing the concept of free speech (saying what you want, when you want). This concept is infringed upon for legal and moral reasons (and sometimes illegal and immoral reasons).

By definition, anything that prevents someone from saying what they want when they want is an infringement on their free speech.

The key part is that infringing on free speech isn't always illegal and/or wrong,

Stephen St. said:
You don't have the freedom to insult others
Actually, you do. Depending on context, that right can be legal and/or moral.

The problem is that "insult" is a subjective term. Example: some people are insulted at the idea of same sex marriage, but I still have the right (some places legal, some places moral) to marry someone the same sex as mine.

Stephen St. said:
But the broader point still holds. Saying you are being treated unjustly because you have been censored doesn't work unless you can show why what happened to you is wrong, specifically.
The problem with the video is the implication that there is the government sanctioned, "bad" censorship. And the privately done, "good" censorship.

The truth is, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it), not that simple. Things rarely are.

Mik Sunrider said:
No, Deadpool; you are incorrect. It has NOTHING to do with context.
If "It" means "Censorship" then that IS my argument.

If "It" means "legality and morality" then it is ALL about context.

Mik Sunrider said:
When you are on someone's private property; their home, business or website; you have a formal or informal agreement with said owner (or if you are the owner with your guest) about a code of conduct that you will follow when on said private property. If you fail or someone else have fail to follow the code of conduct, they have every right to ask you to leave.
First, I just want to chuckle at the statement that context has nothing to do with it followed by a sentence establishing the context. *chuckle*

Okay, back to the conversation.

Legally, you are indeed allowed to kick me out of your house. Morally? It depends on WHAT I say, doesn't it?

Sure, if I walk into your house and scream "Death to all filthy [racial slur]!", then most people would argue that you are morally justified in kicking me out.

IF, during dinner, you are verbally abusing your elderly mother, and I try to calm you down and you kick me out for it, then a lot of people (and I hope most) would find you are NOT justified and you should have listened to me instead.

Both situations are LEGAL. But they are not both moral.

Mik Sunrider said:
You can stand outside their property and scream at the top of your lungs about how unfair they are but that is all that is going to happen to you. Because they can not enforce their views on you outside of their private property.
That is, again, dependent on context.

If I'm standing outside your house preaching my religion, and you come outside and punch me in the mouth until I shut up, you are legally and morally incorrect.

BUT, if I'm standing next to a burning cross in front of your house, screaming "Death to all filthy [racial slur]!" and you come outside and punch me in the mouth until I shut up, you may be legally incorrect, but I think most people would find you morally justified.

Legality and morality are about context. Always has been, always will be.

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
The Deadpool said:
It IS free speech. It simply isn't protected by law, hence its name.

You are still confusing the concept of free speech (saying what you want, when you want). This concept is infringed upon for legal and moral reasons (and sometimes illegal and immoral reasons).

By definition, anything that prevents someone from saying what they want when they want is an infringement on their free speech.
Then define what "freedom" means in freedom of speech. Because if all speech is free speech, then the qualifier "free" is empty - i.e. the word "freedom" has no actual content.

The Deadpool said:
Actually, you do. Depending on context, that right can be legal and/or moral.
Describe to me a case where insulting someone is a moral thing to do.

´
The problem is that "insult" is a subjective term. Example: some people are insulted at the idea of same sex marriage, but I still have the right (some places legal, some places moral) to marry someone the same sex as mine.[/quote]

No, "insult" isn't subjective, wrong usage of the word notwithstanding. When I use the word insult I refer to the legal definition of the term, which I would paraphrase as: An insult is a statement that diminishes the worth of the person it's directed at. Insulting someone means trying to diminish someone's worth as a person.

Other things may be called insults by other people, i.e. some people might find gay marriage an insult, but that is not the sense in which I used insult, and such "insults" would be in accordance with free speech.

The Deadpool said:
The problem with the video is the implication that there is the government sanctioned, "bad" censorship. And the privately done, "good" censorship.

The truth is, unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it), not that simple. Things rarely are.
The video nowhere states that "non-government censorship" isn't a problem. In fact it pretty much explicitly states the opposite towards the end. It's a problem, just not the same problem that government censorship is.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Stephen St. said:
Then define what "freedom" means in freedom of speech. Because if all speech is free speech, then the qualifier "free" is empty - i.e. the word "freedom" has no actual content.
Just because we can't point to a true anarchy in the world today, doesn't mean the concept doesn't exist.

Free speech is the concept of being able to say anything, anywhere and anytime. In actuality this is rarely the case. There is a time and place for things, there is a limit on what can and can't be said even in the "proper" venue, etc etc etc. But the concept remains.

Anything that prevents you from saying what you want when and where you want it is a limit on your free speech.

I know it's difficult, but you have to divorce yourself from the idea that free speech = holiest of holy good things.

Stephen St. said:
Describe to me a case where insulting someone is a moral thing to do.
Not all opinions are worthy. If someone believes the Earth is flat (for a nice, non-debate causing example) calling that person "idiotic" would be justified, no? Surely we can think of a few other positions where insults would be valid.

Stephen St.

May 16, 2012
The Deadpool said:
Just because we can't point to a true anarchy in the world today, doesn't mean the concept doesn't exist.
True, but then anarchy is pretty much anathema to freedom. Freedom would invalidate itself if it included the right for everyone to do whatever they wanted, because that includes taking away the freedom of others.

The Deadpool said:
Free speech is the concept of being able to say anything, anywhere and anytime. In actuality this is rarely the case. There is a time and place for things, there is a limit on what can and can't be said even in the "proper" venue, etc etc etc. But the concept remains.

Anything that prevents you from saying what you want when and where you want it is a limit on your free speech.
Sure, empirically that is true. You have a factual ability to speak and that ability is factually limited by the circumstances. But that isn't a freedom - a freedom is something you are not just able to do, but specifically allowed or entitled to do according to a set of rules, which can be moral or legal. If it were otherwise, we'd just call it the ability to speak and could forget about the term "freedom" altogether.

The Deadpool said:
Not all opinions are worthy. If someone believes the Earth is flat (for a nice, non-debate causing example) calling that person "idiotic" would be justified, no? Surely we can think of a few other positions where insults would be valid.
Do I get to call you an idiot if you say something I find obviously wrong? I don't think so. There is no good reason to insult people, which is why you aren't free to do so.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Don Incognito said:
NiPah said:
Don Incognito said:
NiPah said:
Don Incognito said:
The Deadpool said:
Don Incognito said:

Kinda.

Just something to keep in mind.]

Phrases do not necessarily mean what their individual words mean together.

"free speech" does NOT mean "free" + "speech"
So what does free speech mean? How would you define it?

Stephen St. said:
NiPah said:

That definition of "freedom" only holds if we talk about what people physically are able though. If, however, we are talking about "limiting one's right to free speech", then "freedom" in understood as a "right" not an ability, as an ability is something you either have or haven't, not something that can be "limited". Whether or not you are able to speak or blocked from speaking is an empirical question for the natural sciences, but when we talk about "rights", we are talking about whether or not something is in accordance with a codex, be it an actually code of law, some sort of natural or intrinsic law, or a code of ethics (essentially, whether or not it's right to do it). In that context, freedom doesn't mean ability, it means being allowed to do something.
I'm not sure if you're just talking from my definition, or the broader discussion, but would you then agree that someone taking away your right to do something would be taking away the freedom to do that thing?

I agree though my definition doesn't hold water, I was just trying to prove a quick point to the above conversation.

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
ryukage_sama said:
Rellik San said:
But that's not demonstrable evidence, that's anecdotal evidence... just because you don't feel accused doesn't mean others don't
I wasn't claiming that people don't "feel" accused. I'm challenging your claim that accusations stifle, suppress or effectively discourage discussion. The demonstrable evidence is that this thread alone is 6 pages of people discussing it. If anything, things are discussed more thoroughly and fervently when one party is acting defensively.

The distinction between an explicit accusation and a perceived one is a separate issue.
I respectfully disagree, there is discussion here, because Bob presented a discussion, he discussed his points, put forward his ideas and just asked us to be a bit more respectful in debate.

And that has sparked a respectful debate, where we've discussed other ideas and opinions and moved forward in an interesting dialogue. Because this wasn't presented as a didactic "this is the way, this is how it should be, if you disagree you are wrong!" this was presented as "this is what this means, this is it's potential effects, but it's up to the market to decide... you're the market now, so you decide."

If this was Bob saying "If you have criticism of the critics you're a bad person" which to be fair, given where his politics lay, many people were probably expecting, this would be a much shoutier, louder, forum thread where nothing was really discussed and people would be polarised and standing under banners and claiming others as their own or their opponents. Just look at other more didactic videos forum posts and you'll see it for yourself.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
ok so i watched your video again and i remmebered that i shouldnt have.

censorship from government is whats in constitution, does not mean it does not exist outside of it. but you are correct about the dixie chicks.

its also ironic you bring up Jack Thomson, considering you are actively supporting the modern version of him

as far as criticism of something you like versus criticism of something you are. im pretty sure "all of you are mysoginystic basement dwelling neckbeards that shouldnt exist" is the latter.

but hey, at least you got to call yourself a whale penis.

Now if only you yourself acted the way you want us to act. you know the whole insulting groups of people on twitter thing.

medv4380 said:
It's not Capitalism that people are mad at. It's Monopolies. Capitalism doesn't exist unless there is competition, and though you might think MSNBC was the competition for FOX News it actually isn't. FOX has a monopoly on Conservative news coverage, and MSNBC has a pretty solid monopoly on the Liberal end. Even Hollywood tries not to compete by carving up the Calender and doing everything to collude to ensure that major films don't compete.
Monopolies are the end goal of capitalism (the best way to make money is to control whole market) so yes, being mad at monopolies IS being mad at capitalism. No, there is absolutely no need for competition for capitalism to exists. it seems you have missed out on some economic theory.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Strazdas said:
medv4380 said:
It's not Capitalism that people are mad at. It's Monopolies. Capitalism doesn't exist unless there is competition, and though you might think MSNBC was the competition for FOX News it actually isn't. FOX has a monopoly on Conservative news coverage, and MSNBC has a pretty solid monopoly on the Liberal end. Even Hollywood tries not to compete by carving up the Calender and doing everything to collude to ensure that major films don't compete.
Monopolies are the end goal of capitalism (the best way to make money is to control whole market) so yes, being mad at monopolies IS being mad at capitalism. No, there is absolutely no need for competition for capitalism to exists. it seems you have missed out on some economic theory.
Seems your education is lacking.

Capitalism as defined by Adam Smith requires competition. A true capitalist market has the maximum number of entities competing so that if a new one arises one old one will be forced out.

It seems like your education in economics is ether Asian based capitalism where Monopolies are the goal, or Corporate Capitalism which is much the same. Monopolies, corporate or otherwise, are little more than communism.

the7ofswords

Apr 9, 2009
Darknacht said:
the7ofswords said:
Darknacht said:
Bob proves that he does not understand the difference between censorship and illegal censorship or the difference between the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.
Article Five of the U.S. Constitution sets forth the procedure for amending it, thus any amendments become part of the Constitution.

The Bill of Rights (as the first 10 Amendments to the Constitution) is part of the Constitution by definition.
Yes, very good Tweedledum, but its just part of it and not the first part of it, it is the last part of it, Bob seems to have forgotten that there is a ton of shit in the constitution before you get to the bill or rights. And just like there is more to the constitution then the bill of rights there is more types of censorship than Illegal censorship. Bob seems to have confused parts of things with the whole thing.
Ah yes ... name-calling, That always makes your case for you.

You did not in any way refute what I said. The Bill of Rights is part of the Constitution. In addition, you made a further error. You stated that the Bill of Rights was the last part of the Constitution. No it isn't. There are 17 more Amendments after the Bill of Rights. These are also part of the Constitution.

So when someone says the Constitution guarantees a right of Free Speech, they are correct. It's in the Bill of Rights, which is part of the Constitution.

You are correct, however, that there are more kinds of censorship than government censorship. Bob's playing around with definitions in a very ham-handed way.

sexy=sexist

Sep 27, 2014
No matter how you slice it when you are using your power and influence to memory hole other arguments in what you say is a open forum to talk, and you do this not on there merit, but because they disagree with you. I can only assume you do it because you know your argument won't stand up in the marketplace of ideas or maybe even outside of a echochamber.

Somehow even bringing up that maybe some of this stuff should be looked at will get you called all sorts of names and accused of harassing women. Many gaming sites are using that context to censor discussion. I kinda want to know why.

Well first off they could be trying to hide there unethical practice in all this. However I don't think that is all of it.
You see I don't think gamergate is really the movement so much as people upset about the real movement. I think what we have here is the Democratic Teaparty that is calling itself anti-gamergate.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
nayuan01 said:
Ishigami said:
Free speech and censorship certainly two items most people don't seem to get.
I love it when a dev/publisher decides to tone down e.g. the violence for e.g. a German release in order to avoid endangering their bottom line by an 18+ rating or even getting on the index (list of restricted media e.g. no advertisement and no display) destroying all hope to make any meaningful income.
You can bet someone will call it censorship. Take a guess: It isn?t.
The same is true for the people in a BBS. I?ve seen in more times than I can count that a moderator steps in after people got out of line that someone demanded their right for free speech.
Again: No, it doesn?t apply.
nayuan01 said:
Can't we just all agree that #gamergate was a stupid idea to begin with, it's bad for the gaming community, it reflects poorly upon gamers as a whole, and it affects gaming's credibility as a legitimate entertainment medium and just move along?
So you are saying it is okay for magazines to hide their affiliations and conflicting interest from the user base continuing lying to them in order to help creating the bottom line of the industry?
I beg to differ.
I think I need to set the record straight. It seems that my definition of "gamergate" (which is based on the references made by the media regarding the death threats made to Anita Sarkeesian) is completely different to the gamergate movement to which you are referring to. It seems that I've been misinformed as to what gamergate really is.

As far as the "gamergate" to which I was referring to, I believe that a vocal niche of the gaming community screaming, hollering and even threatening a dissenting voice for criticizing sexism and misogyny in games is: (a) harmful to the image of gaming and gamers as w hole; (b) it reflects poorly upon the gaming industry and those who comprise it; and (c) places our hobby as "immature" in comparison to the likes of movies, music and art as an entertainment medium.
Originally Gamergate started about the conflicting interest, the other side screamed "misogyny" because a women was involved in the accusations. It had nothing to do with sexism and Anita Sarkeesian at first, the SJWs played the "misogyny" card and it quickly degenerated as all the trolls and hatefull people started throwing shit like badly trained monkeys.