The Big Picture: E3-mageddon: Crossover

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Ergoemos said:
That was kind of cute. My impression was that this wasn't as much Bob's idea as it was Escapist's. I can't imagine that Mr. Chipman would really want to poison the waters of his other work with the vitriol that so often permeates Escapist forums. (Sorry for the sweeping generalization there, other pleasant forum-goers.)
Have you seen his blog? I don't think he would care with all that bile he's recieved at his own site, it's almost as bad as youtube in there.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
Too... Much... Cringe!

It would have been great if Bob had just stuck to the normal The Big Picture format.

Please never do that again.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
O maestre said:
I wish the Escapist had an upvote feature for comments like this.

Besides your technical advice, it is strange that movie critics are prone to doing some very awful stuff when they are given creative reins to make a story of their own. If you don't have the budget to realize your 'story'. Animation or even still cartoons are a good example of a cheap but almost as effective method of delivering your story. Bothe Yahtzee and South Park used animation to attain success from limited resources.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I kinda felt like I was off on a rant there. But mentioning Yahtzee is a great example. I would not be his biggest champion. But he really does put in a lot of effort and thought each week into his programme. It's simplistic as anything. But every single frame is thought about and considered. The least I expect from someone who calls themselves a film maker on their byline is some pride and a passion. I had a look and was sad to see that the poor production values run throughout all his past stuff. It's terrible. I am more disappointed than anything. The worst part is, is how it will probably be smugly blown off in the next episode. As if this audience didn't 'get' it.

Just to stress. I would never expect technical mastery. But every other video contributor on this site gets it. Loading Ready Run, Lisa Foiles, No Right Answer. All miles ahead of the movie guy who should really be on top of this shit.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
Thumbs down this week...

Sorry to say, Bob, but I don't think The Escapist should pick up that show once Blip drops it.
It has waaaaay too much backlog to get through, just for starters.
And I didn't really like anything about it. :(
I agree that the Game Overthinker skits have gotten way out of control. When they mesh with the topic at hand they kind of work but more often then not they don't mesh and the shift is annoying.

an874

Jul 17, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
MovieBob just assimilated Channel Awesome.
Come on, don't sell Channel Awesome so short. The type of story bits that Doug Walker and his folks do work because he and his crew can act and afford decent (for the internet web series)production values, something Bob still doesn't understand.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Wow, MovieBob, you went from ?Competent, If Slightly Pretentious, Movie Reviewer? to ?Hypocritical Social Justice Warrior? in one video. That?s impressive.

Also, your ?Anti-Thinker? wasn?t on-the-nose at all, and great job managing to insult the majority of Call of Duty fans who aren?t misogynistic or ?insecure in their masculinity?, and just play it for, I dunno, fun. But hey, keep pulling out those buzzwords from Baby?s First Sociology Textbook, and damn those stupid consumers for being white, male, and middle-class, right? Not at all like you, Bob. Why the hell should businesses try and target their biggest market to make profit? They should do what the consumers want and create an 8-bit platformer featuring a strong, independent, gay, black, transgender woman as its protagonist, which will sell more copies than the PlayStation 2 and Nintendo Wii combined!

Oh, and I have the greatest of sympathy for your high school bullying at the hands of those nasty dudebro jocks whose accents you can totally pull off, what with all the acting skills you picked up from reviewing bad movies and telling us how bad the acting in those movies are. It was a clever piece of satire to base your ?Anti-Thinker? character on it.

Have fun jumping over those sharks. I?ll be sure to tune back in when you?ve pulled your head out of your ass.

Halla Burrica

May 18, 2014
This was.... embarrasing to say the least. Everyone else has said all that needs to be said about what wrong with the video(besides the fact that even in 2009 this would have been extremely cringeworthy), but I'll say this: Please Bob, take a good look at what you're doing here and ask yourself if it's really a good idea. PLEASE.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
an874 said:
SnakeoilSage said:
MovieBob just assimilated Channel Awesome.
Come on, don't sell Channel Awesome so short. The type of story bits that Doug Walker and his folks do work because he and his crew can act and afford decent (for the internet web series)production values, something Bob still doesn't understand.
It should also be noted that channel awesome despite not being my cup of tea either, is at least entitled to do a crossover since there a different people and different opinions, instead of just strawmen.

MrBaskerville said:
Ergoemos said:
That was kind of cute. My impression was that this wasn't as much Bob's idea as it was Escapist's. I can't imagine that Mr. Chipman would really want to poison the waters of his other work with the vitriol that so often permeates Escapist forums. (Sorry for the sweeping generalization there, other pleasant forum-goers.)
Have you seen his blog? I don't think he would care with all that bile he's recieved at his own site, it's almost as bad as youtube in there.
Is youtube still bad? I wouldn't know I refuse to get google+ added to my account so I havn't posted there in years. I kind of assumed all the 'bile' would have disappeared.

DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
The problem is that while Bob may be clever and have neat ideas, he doesn't seem to be very good at acting, so the delivery kills it.
This is actually also a really good suggestion for Bob, he should get other people involved in creative process or at the very least the production. Some really solid ideas can come from spitballin with another person, or just having to explain it to someone who wasn't part of the script like an actor.

Lono Shrugged said:
O maestre said:
I wish the Escapist had an upvote feature for comments like this.

Besides your technical advice, it is strange that movie critics are prone to doing some very awful stuff when they are given creative reins to make a story of their own. If you don't have the budget to realize your 'story'. Animation or even still cartoons are a good example of a cheap but almost as effective method of delivering your story. Bothe Yahtzee and South Park used animation to attain success from limited resources.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I kinda felt like I was off on a rant there. But mentioning Yahtzee is a great example. I would not be his biggest champion. But he really does put in a lot of effort and thought each week into his programme. It's simplistic as anything. But every single frame is thought about and considered. The least I expect from someone who calls themselves a film maker on their byline is some pride and a passion. I had a look and was sad to see that the poor production values run throughout all his past stuff. It's terrible. I am more disappointed than anything.
The worst part is, is how it will probably be smugly blown off in the next episode. As if this audience didn't 'get' it.

Just to stress. I would never expect technical mastery. But every other video contributor on this site gets it. Loading Ready Run, Lisa Foiles, No Right Answer. All miles ahead of the movie guy who should really be on top of this shit.
It is eerie how much we are in complete agreement, and ironic how this 'content' has sparked a creative fire in many of us users on how to improve on the video series. I think the main problem when it comes to live action is that you need more people, either to help with editing or acting or any other aspect.

A pair of eyes that aren't your own will really help. The exception is Jim Sterlings show, which I think works partly due to the fact that it is basically just him talking, and for the most part it is talking over clips. There is of course the fact that Jim acting is hammy enough to be charismatic. The production quality is also leagues above what we witnessed.

Zeikier

Dec 21, 2009
And here I was enjoying this site cuz it distanced me from Bob's grating drivel. I miss when Game Overthinker actually discussed gaming stuff instead of wasting time on stupid skits and strawmen.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
I do not notice the difference between 30 and 60 fps. Maybe that is just me.

I don't like your GO show bob. I'm sorry I just don't. I like the big picture and escape to the movies but I guess it can't be for everyone.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
If anything the feedback here proves that 4chan isn't out to get him, but that people are legitimately concerned with the quality of Game Overthinker.

Maybe he'll return to the old format now that that illusion is broken.

Ashadow700

Jun 28, 2010
[Insert everything that everyone above me has already said]
This is why I stopped watching The Game Overthinker, even though it was once one of my favorite discussion shows about video games. This, right here.

Lyvric

Nov 29, 2011
I didn't know Bob did the whole talking to himself bit. It looks like it should be good but falls short. It looks like it should be offensive but falls short. It was just kind of was perplexingly boring. The crossover bit kept me watching for the most part. Once the E3 came in I got was he was trying to say about it.

Sorry Bob, not sure what to make of your other stuff. Maybe not my cup of tea.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Soulrender95 said:
I've spent a few minutes trying to perfectly encapsulate my feelings and express them sufficiently, and I think after really thinking about it and watching it again, my feelings can be summed up as WTF did I just watch? and why did I watch it again?

ok you needed a way to do E3 predictions and make it entertaining, but dear lord that was cringe worthy.
I'm now rather glad I never went to look up the Game Overthinker show and the caricature of dudebro's in "the game anti-thinker" kinda makes me think less of Bob, that was just pitifully unfunny to watch.
If you think just that glimmer of the Antithinker was bad, just be glad you haven't seen the the two years worth of content Bob's put out, most of it of similar caliber to the Antithinker.

I3uster

Nov 16, 2008
Why did you even continue watching it though. The moment he did Wario's Woods I stopped.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
Considering when you talk about video games, you tend to spout tumblr grade social justice vitriol, the last thing the escapist should do is pick up your other show. The forums already have enough flame wars start up without you causing one every week from now on.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
There's only so much Moviebob I can take in one helping and this was too much, couldn't finish the video. The only reason I checked it out was because of this week's episode of Big Picture and I was curious.

Seemed like a big push for his show under the guise of an E3 run down. The Anti-Thinker was decent at best but the show looks like, as a whole, it would fall flat for me should I try to catch up with it.

[sub]If it ever came here, I imagine the forums would be a field of fire for a bit... The guy has two shows, lets have another "There will be Brawl" again! D:[/sub]