The Big Picture: Everything Means Something

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Over analyzing something can be interesting, but no one should be made to think that is the right way to approach everything. Just because some people don't want to take something at face value does not mean that it's face value should be ignored or assumed to be the wrong way to look at things. I think it's funny that people take something like saving the princess and turn it into a world where women are helpless and cannot do anything without their "better" male counterparts. I always think of it as the story of why Mario is doing what he is doing is so completely inconsequential that they literally just added that without more than a second of thought. It's unreasonable that we are treated to two perspectives on these subjects almost exclusively. Either it's part of the problem or a product of the solution to said problem... when in many cases, it just is.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Personally whenever I see someone go "gosh, keep politics out of my games! They're just for fun!", I always wantg to link them to this video that pretty much perfectly surmises my thoughts on the issue;

(Link here if it doesn't embed [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_tdztHiyiE])

But your video is good to, bobby-o.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
You've got it all turned around, Bob! The angry bird tangent is the fun part, not the other stuff. It's like Yahtzee's article a week ago about the connections he could make between video game universes. Everyone involved know it's pointless and dumb, but it's a lot of fun to think about(for some amount of time).
That and the self-deprecating self-awareness at the start, that was also pretty great.

To be more precise, what I like about the big picture aren't the episodes taking a "big picture" kind of look. It's all the episodes introducing me to orca whales that sabotage oil refineries. "The nerdy, old, funny stuff I know a lot about... Picture".

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
This episode perfectly encapsulates one huge problem in so many discussion and that is not all that you can flow down certain paths and link anything to anything. You can do that. Problem arises when group of people goes and follows curvy paths to certain goals and then holds them up not as opinion but some absolute truth.

And if someone asks themselves did I just did the same, yes I did. On purpose. If you don't agree with me, you still get the point since I did it to you.

Or at least I hope I'm that clever.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I'm reminded of a comic I once saw of these 2 art enthusiasts looking at this painting of a duck and trying to work out the deeper inner meaning and whatever before turning to the janitor standing next to them and asking what he thinks to which he replies "It's a duck, I think." And they're like "How did we not see that?"

SkepticalHat

Sep 16, 2014
NinjaDeathSlap said:
as for "...feel bad", I agree that is a more serious matter. However, I also can't think of many instances where I've heard that explicitly said. Admittedly, I don't watch every single video or read every blog post around the subject. However, I do believe a lot of people in this debate go looking to take criticisms of things they enjoy personally, when that's not actually the intention of the critic

I mean, I personally find the portrayal of female body image in Dead or Alive, Soul Calibre etc. ridiculous, but that doesn't mean I'm calling anyone who disagrees with me a pervert. Again, it all comes down to how, for all the people I've heard say "I don't like X" or "I think an over-abundance of X to the detriment of Y is exclusionary", I've never heard anyone make the leap to "X should be BANNED". At least, not from anyone who anyone else should be taking seriously.
Again it's likely just my interpretation of what they are saying, but I do think there is some desire to see certain things removed. And I've seen more people talking from the negative than the positive. I just want to see more " Y is good, because ...". I feel that a lot of the opposition against the sjws (for lack of a better term) is due to the negative view people have of gaming. Gaming has seemingly faced opposition for a long time. Before this it was "do video games cause violence?", and you had people like Jack Thompson calling for games that feature violence to banned. I think a fair amount of people jumped the gun when when people started asking "are games sexist?". They took that negatively skewed question to mean that there was yet another group wanting to ruin their fun. I still feel that if we want to have this discussion it needs to be more nuetral. Gamers are used to opposition/conflict, and as long as it remains that way the discussion won't happen. This will take work from both sides. Gamers need to stop thinking of this discussion as being about sjws wanting to ruin fun. Sjws need to be more open to rebuttals and not use calling someone misogynist as a way of refuting criticism.
Additionally I don't know anyone who thinks the girls in Dead or Alive/Soul Caliber are not ridiculous.

wulf3n

Mar 12, 2012
Bob said:
Ok so that's exactly the kind of over reaching nonsense I was talking about at the beginning.
That's the more interesting stuff though. Hell it's what makes After Hours [http://www.cracked.com/series/after-hours/] a thing.

At least with the overreaching nonsense the author is usually self-aware of the fact, and it comes through in their writing.

Honestly I think what people are sick of isn't the over analysis but rather the tendency for people to pass of their analysis as authorial intent instead of the one of many "valid" interpretations that exist.

It's people passing of their interpretation as fact or in some way superior to others, and dismissing the others as wrong with contempt that people are sick of.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
NinjaDeathSlap said:
hentropy said:
I think what people are primarily afraid of is that possibility of games needing a "checklist" of ethnic or social minorities that you HAVE to include in your game in order for your game to be considered "progressive", and if it's not "progressive" then it won't get good scores or attention. In other words, it stops becoming about how good someone's game is, but rather about how many external issues that game tries to push on the player. I'm all for more inclusion in games, but I don't want "checklists" that the "progressive" gaming media tries to push.

And yes, I realize my use of scarequotes might come off as trying to say that progressivism is a bad thing, which it's not, I just think what it means is debatable and that many people who call themselves progressives cling on only to the oldest/intellectually non-evolved version of it and then pretend like that is the only possible right version.
I agree that that is what a lot of people seem to be afraid will happen if they don't fight the supposed 'Social Justice Warriors'.

My next question would than be, why? Why do they think that this will happen when it's not what anyone who thinks gaming matters enough in the first place to care wants to see? I've heard (and I go looking for this stuff a lot more than most) precisely no-one ever argue in favour of a progressiveness checklist or anything of the sort. As far as the vast, vast majority goes, all people want is for the people in charge of the industry to realise that there is actually a market for more diversity in characters and for the themes explored through them, and so we cheer on games that dare to give us something different when they get good press, because there's a chance that if we cheer loud enough, a publisher might notice and think "Hey, we could get in on this!". Gaming is now the biggest entertainment industry in the world. Do people really believe that there isn't enough shelf space to accommodate a broader range of tastes?

Nothing about what I (and, as far as I can tell, everyone like me) am 'fighting' for, will result in any kind of embargo on musclebound, straight or seemingly asexual white dudes being video game protagonists from now on. I guarantee that, even if we 'win' those guys will still be around in abundance for a lot time yet, and I for one won't begrudge that in the slightest. What's more, all the hundreds and hundreds of games like that that have been made previously will still be around to enjoy by anyone who wishes to play them, and that will be just fine. All it comes down to, is wanting to see a few more games on the shelves beside them that look to be catering to other tastes, in accordance with the increasing numbers of women, racial minorities, open homosexuals and other non-straight sexualities and/or genders wanting to play games these days, but currently doing so in the face of an industry that barely seems to be aware that they exist.

That's what baffles me when I try to deconstruct this whole maelstrom. When you get right down to it, nothing about the status quo is really being 'threatened' here. Not every change has to be a revolution.
To be honest the issue isn't so much whether they exist, as to whether they are interested in gaming. As a general rule ethnic minorities don't seem much interested in gaming, attempts to cater to them have largely fallen flat, you didn't see huge numbers of black folks come stampeding into gaming when they decided to make the default character in "Crackdown" a black guy. The same largely applies to the media in general, people can decry how "white" everything is, but when things are different you don't see a bunch of black butts plopping into theater seats. Some don't like to criticize the culture, but the reason why "black movies" tend to be gang experience movies or Tyler Perry family flicks because that's generally been what they show up for, and neither have any really broad appeal to anyone else.

Likewise a lot of tolerance when it comes to "gay rights" basically revolves around the principle of "I don't care what two consenting adults do on their own time in private as long as it doesn't involve me". Basically you might find two guys having sex disgusting, but presumably nobody is forcing you to watch that. When it comes to forcing things into the general media though, that all changes, because now "gay inclusiveness" means people who are disgusted by those acts are forced to watch them, or at least have them suggested. That's fine for the tiny percentage of gays that are out there but not so great for everyone else.

Not to mention that the whole issue of "inclusiveness" is the result of white guilt anyway. We're really the only people who seem to give a crap about minorities within our own society. When China, Japan, etc... make games and movies they really don't give a crap about the whites, blacks, Spanish, etc... that live there, they don't go out of their way to be inclusive. Overall white media is the most inclusive in the world already, and it's kind of stupid to sit here and say we don't go far enough because the overwhelming majority of characters in it are white, just like the majority of society (for the moment) and the majority of people who create and consume that media.

To be blunt, for there to be more inclusiveness in the media we'd actually wind up having to produce more of it. With video games in particular the whole AAA focus of the industry means that we see very few, comparatively short, games produced each year. By the time the core audience is done with one game, they are hungry for another and one is coming out. It's kind of set up that way. You start changing the focus of games, and your core audience gets angry because it misses a feeding, and of course your core audience doesn't want to be offended by trying to shoehorn things into their games. To have more diversity the game industry would have to do what people have been saying for years, and go back to developing "A" and "B" games alongside the "AAA" ones to cater to niche audience, games created with a lower production value, but still well beyond "indie" that also don't need to sell as many copies as the "AAA" fare. That's the point where you can start looking at niche audiences like very ethnically oriented video games, gay video games, and of course style niches like turn based RPGs and the like. At the end of the day everyone wants GOOD/High Quality games of the type they are interested in which is why the niche audiences are generally not happy with old games that already exist or simply being catered to by indie developers. Playing an old turn based RPG for example is not the same as playing a current one developed professionally and with current technology. Likewise there are plenty of "non traditional" games in the indie market. That's why few people bother to consider things like "The Journey Down" which just saw it's second chapter released which is specifically developed as a black themed (Afro-Caribbean) adventure title and similar things in their arguments.

That said I think this installment of "The Big Picture" is largely Bob on the defensive after being called out in recent events as he's pretty much one of the more well known "problem children" when it comes to using geek media as a SJW platform, having been mentioned/called out by name on several occasions apparently. I think Bob is decent, but I do think he takes the politics too far no matter how he tries to justify himself, and he should really reign it in and focus on geek culture without trying to turn everything into a political platform, or make judgements about people who like or dislike various things, such as when he referred to people who like old school action movies "The Worst Kind Of People" in his "Expendables" review, not to mention when he goes beyond message into various conspiracy theories about white washing and all kinds of other garbage, oftentimes combined with at least implying if you disagree with him on things like ethnicity-swapping well established characters that your some kind of racist.

I think in their defensive attempts (and those defending them) both Bob and Jim, whose shows I enjoy even if I don't always agree with them, don't really understand how far they have pushed things. What's more every time someone has gotten banned due to firing back in response to some of the more outrageous comments (Critical Miss's "White Guy Defense Force" blood bath is actually the best example of this here) that kind of fueled the fire. I mean just because someone gets banned, and brushed under the rug, with everyone being told "people like that represent a weird fringe majority" perhaps with that fringe majority further being defined in offensive terms like "scared old people afraid of change" and things like that, doesn't mean that it's true, and eventually you start to see backlash like has been happening recently. As much as you might insist your opponents and those who disagree with you can be mistreated, and ingored, and sell yourself on championing some kind of truly clear majority (reinforced by favorable statistics) doesn't mean it's true. All it takes is one spark to hit the powder keg you've set up... and well... here we are. Bob needs to understand it's not just what he's said, but how he's said it, and also how he's characterized and attacked the people on the other side in doing so.

Guilen-

Mar 14, 2009
One of your best. You really encapsulate the fun of intellectual riffing. Cheers!

schwegburt

Jan 5, 2012
fithian said:
"You could peg that to any group. Hey why should these professional guys allow me to speak? After all I'm "crazy"."
I don't think you even know how insulting that statement is.
I am a rational human being. I have problems but that should not discount my ideas.
This is the real problem. And this is the thing that enrages most people, the hypocrisy.
I used the crazy to make that very point. To try and pretend like the crazy has not been used as an insult to the mentally ill is truly ignorant and under handed.
You shifted the blame to society and then tried to act the very people I was being critical were not a part of it.
I suspect you are part of the problem especially look quickly you shifted the blame to HR workers, society, and even people you say are your friends.
I keep seeing people who have been helpful and kind to me constantly demonized by you and those "professional guys".
If you see anger in what I said that is the reason.
You weren't using schizophrenia to make any good points. You just used it as an appeal to pity and to peg some group with a strawman about how extreme their views were.

If you want a few facts about my comments on HR and society then here: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/542517 Believe it or not there is an issue of discrimination for people with mental health issues finding a job in the work place. Perhaps you lucked out in the job search or were already employed during the onset of schizophrenia. That said my schizophrenia and HR comment wasn't off base even if you yourself haven't been on the wrong end of things on that front.

And to expand it to society at large you think I'm blaming folks for that? http://www.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/SchizophreniaSurvey/Analysis_Public_Attitudes.htm
Sorry man but Schizophrenia's still stigmatized in society at large, it's not my view, it's a fact. A rational human being should understand that mental health patients don't recieve half the support they need to function in a society. Especially the ones capable of independent day to day living, which sounds a lot like yourself.

fithian said:
2. I never said that feminist were evil. I only stated that I think they are wrong and I think they are whiny.
3. Also, I never said they(feminist) were hold me down. I said they were dismissing anything I had to say because I am a man or due to the fact that I have schizophrenia.
4. I used "Those whiny bitches" in conjunction with the another qualifier upper-middle class. That is import to what I said.
5. You also an implied false dichotomy between man-children and feminists in the geek community there are other people.
You implied a lot too.

Throwing out "poor person" and "schizophrenia" then blaming "those whiny bitches from the upper middle class". That implies a lot of hostility for a group that's simply "Whiny". And you imply that feminists think you're still better off despite having schizophrenia and a poor income cause you're a guy? I don't know any feminist that would try to make that claim.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
orangeapples said:
Plenty of people have probably said it, but that Angry Birds bit was probably the best thing we've heard all week.
HBaskerville said:
The best joke in this whole thing how all criminals need is a job and they will stop committing crimes.
My favorite joke was the one with looking for Marxist overtones in Bubble bobble, with the subtext of "Jeez, get a life, dude." And I hate that interpretation of Batman, where he's the biggest lunatic and the bad guys he beats up are the "real" victims. There was an episode of the Animated Series where Batman's villains take over Arkham Asylum and put him on trial everything wrong with them being his fault. The verdict: They messed up their own lives, and if anything, created a need for someone like Batman.
canadamus_prime said:
I'm reminded of a comic I once saw of these 2 art enthusiasts looking at this painting of a duck and trying to work out the deeper inner meaning and whatever before turning to the janitor standing next to them and asking what he thinks to which he replies "It's a duck, I think." And they're like "How did we not see that?"
That sounds like this joke where the author of the book says "The curtains are blue", and a literary critic interprets that as symbolic of his mood and world-view, and the author's meaning is "The curtains are fucking blue!" It's somewhere on TVTropes.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Great episode, totally agree, though I never thought there was that much stuff to be taken from the intros after the first 3-4 points.

josak

Oct 13, 2013
Darth_Payn said:
orangeapples said:
Plenty of people have probably said it, but that Angry Birds bit was probably the best thing we've heard all week.
HBaskerville said:
The best joke in this whole thing how all criminals need is a job and they will stop committing crimes.
My favorite joke was the one with looking for Marxist overtones in Bubble bobble, with the subtext of "Jeez, get a life, dude." And I hate that interpretation of Batman, where he's the biggest lunatic and the bad guys he beats up are the "real" victims. There was an episode of the Animated Series where Batman's villains take over Arkham Asylum and put him on trial everything wrong with them being his fault. The verdict: They messed up their own lives, and if anything, created a need for someone like Batman.
canadamus_prime said:
That sounds like this joke where the author of the book says "The curtains are blue", and a literary critic interprets that as symbolic of his mood and world-view, and the author's meaning is "The curtains are fucking blue!" It's somewhere on TVTropes.
Having your parents murdered and therefore dressing like a bat and becoming a masked vigilante isn't exactly sane.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I always found it a bit odd that the main goal of Angry Birds is to "kill pigs." I'm just saying if this were the 90s, anything Angry Birds would have been subsequently banned in schools across the country. I feel like the late 90s/early 2000s were the peak of "everything's a symbol" and we're seeing a generation brought up in that paranoia come of age today. It wasn't being "politically correct" as much as it was looking for things to be upset about because merely caring (or pretending to care) is somehow equated to doing something. Hence, the celebrity apology barrage of last summer.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
I would recommend reading more if you want to learn about a specific topic. Having a properly researched and published book means someone has taken several years to compile all the relevant information and more than one person has checked the sources. I have been reading many more non fiction books these days for that reason.

maxben

Jun 9, 2010
themilo504 said:
I don?t mine pointless Overanalyzes but unless it?s a joke I just don?t really see the point, it?s a waste of time that you could be spending analyzing things that actually require some analyzes.

Also is this topic actually a part of the gamer gate discussion? Last time I checked it wasn?t but that was almost a week ago so it might have changed.

04.16 Almost nobody buys cod because of the single player, its popular because it has a good multiplayer, its success had nothing to do with politics and claiming otherwise is just as silly as claiming that Mario is only popular because the cold war created a demand for simple black and white stories.
This is in a way part of the gamergate discussion, but it is more about a much larger argument that's been going on for a very long time. And no, the success of these game is not fully tied to the political/cultural underpinnings but either way that is only half of the equation. The other is why those games were made as they were to begin with. Why are there very clear racial classes in Lord of the Rings for example where every humanoid race is tied not only to good and evil but also to specific traits and ways of thinking? For example, dwarves and greed. It is not unlikely because the world that Tolkein lived in promoted that way of thinking in the same way that Orwell's overtly political 1984 was based around the cultural/political point of view of his period. To argue that video games, being creative products, are fully divorced from reality and therefore there is no value in considering the reality that brought certain games about is naive.