The Big Picture: Go Go Godzilla - Hoping for Better Blockbusters

Cybylt

Aug 13, 2009
Mcoffey said:
I only hope that the success of Godzilla will make Lionsgate think harder about Pacific Rim 2. I... I just need that movie to happen, okay guys? I sat through 70 minutes of your boring Godzilla movie (And the, admittedly awesome, last twenty minutes), so you owe me!

That's how studios work, right?
Del Toro expressed interest in a cross-over. Imagine it, campy 70's style monster brawl Godzilla with Jaegers instead of Jet Jaguar.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Might be a bit late to be thinking about Godzilla 2. Here's hoping Godzilla... 33ish?* turns out decent though.

* MovieBob's last intermission article says 29 previous, but Wiki lists 32 including this most recent one.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Kahani said:
Might be a bit late to be thinking about Godzilla 2. Here's hoping Godzilla... 33ish?* turns out decent though.

* MovieBob's last intermission article says 29 previous, but Wiki lists 32 including this most recent one.
Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(franchise)] lists all 28.

The 32 includes Godzilla 1956 which is Gojira 1954 with Perry Mason spliced in. 1985 which is The Return of Godzilla with Perry Mason spliced in. Godzilla 1998 which no Godzilla fan counts. 98 was an OK monster film, but an atrocity to Godzilla's name. To be counted it must be an original film, and include Godzilla. The first two are not original, and 98 doesn't include Godzilla. Only a monster people call Godzilla.

Only 2014 could be counted out of the American set to put the list at 29.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yeah, hopefully Hollywood will actually hear what the negative word of mouth was about Godzilla. We loved the monster, but absolutely hated the romance. More of the former, none of the latter.

Bertylicious

Apr 10, 2012
I too hope that success for Godzilla will lead to a new monster movies with extra dinosaurs and Mechagodzilla.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Zontar said:
I don't really understand why, but for some reason while the internet seems to be "meh" about Godzilla, all the word of mouth I've heard in person both at the theater and from people I know is overwhelmingly positive. I don't know, could just be a Canadian thing, but as a fan of Godzilla I actually liked the movie. Sure it's not the best Godzilla movie, but it's sure in the higher side of the scale in terms of storytelling.
That's because it's the internet. Everything is either just ok, bad, or racist (like Far Cry 4). OK, so that's a broad generalisation, but still. All the actual human beings I know who have gone to see Godzilla have only had good things to say about it. I've not seen it yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Tim Chuma said:
Also this list of "worst" films for sale at Cannes this year came up, cynicism rules all these days aparently.
http://imgur.com/a/3oq9o

WolfCop already has a guaranteed cinema release, I only found out about it when they had a crowdfunding project for an action figure.

I know someone who has a documentary at Cannes but not in competition (at least I don't think so), is about Weng Weng from the Phillipines.
That's... What? I mean... I don't... How do movies like that even get made?

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
cojo965 said:
That's... What? I mean... I don't... How do movies like that even get made?
Where's the cash? Where's the cash? The money, the money, the money money money...

A good producer can get anything up, some movies are not made to be seen but to use the money.

Sateru

Jul 11, 2010
I look at this movie, and I feel rather let down already from what I've seen so far. The trailers are supposed to give you an idea of what the movie is about, and who the protagonist and antagonists are. If the trailers are intentionally being deceptive, that's one thing, but there is deception and there is outright lying about the movie. It doesn't help that Godzilla has a deep seated following, and that despite how things appear on the outside, Godzilla is ripe full of underlying themes which fit with the idea of Kaiju as a whole. They epitomize fear, the fears that society faces, and how we as humans deal with those fears. Godzilla represented the fear Japan had over nuclear weapons, in particular, the fear they had towards the Hydrogen bomb and the repercussions of it.

No matter how he's depicted, Godzilla is still a force of nature more than a force of evil or good. It can be redirected, and somewhat controlled, but it is still a danger in it's own right and has no love or hate for humans in general. Most of the fights that occur are between it and other Kaiju, reflecting how it seems to only appear when it feels it's territory is in danger. That may reflect why it exactly fights against other Kaiju, simply two animals that are fighting for the right to claim a set patch of land.

In the end, we're not in a greater position than ants watching two cats bicker over ownership of a field. Sure, we can prove to be annoyances, and even drive off one of the two, but ultimately with the Kaiju being a continuous threat in the franchise, we simply choose the lesser of two evils to piggyback on. Godzilla helps keep things in our favor, and he is predictable in his own right. If we removed him as a threat, and destroy him, it will create a void that another will try to lay claim on.