The Big Picture: Going Green: Part I

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
HankMan said:
dex-dex said:
holy freaky deaky dude!
and I thought I encountered some hard core fanboys/girls!
Ain't no fanboys like right wing fanboys dex.
http://southpawbeagle.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/tea-party-blacks.jpg
and there is a reason why I don't live in America.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
I've been watching to much Linkara. When you said the 90's and flashed a comic page before going to the Wrestler pic, I immediately thought "Oh no, Linefeldt!"

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I'm beginning to think Bob needs to stop doing movie reviews and start doing comic book commentary more regularly. This stuff is deliciously insane.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Ok, HEAT may explain why Hal was brought back at all. Cause seriously, i hate that guy, Kyle is so much more interesting.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
What the. How the...

This episode made my brain hurt. Paid advertisements to protest a fictional storyline?
Ive stood up for my beliefs, hobbys, etc. but thats just taking it to a whole new level. I mean, seriously.

Good episode. Now I really want to see part 2.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Exterminas said:
Could someone explain to me how this buisness with the colors really works?
I mean with superman it is like "Here is Cryptonite!" "Blarg" is it the same way with the green guy and a yellow shirt?
The green ring is powered by "will power" and the yellow ring powered by fear. When someone is afraid they loose control of their will since they are forced to respond to the fear and the fear alone. That's the modern day explanation, the original reason is that the power rings contain a "yellow" impurity which stops them working against yellow things.

I've read the majority of modern day stories, the one's after the Emerald twilight mentioned in the video (Rebirth to Blackest Night) and personally I do find Hal Jordon the best of the green lanterns. A personal highlight is when he punches Batman in the face.

Detective Prince

Feb 6, 2011
I LOVE this episode mainly because I've been reading Green Lantern since I was little. XD Also...Hal is awesome. But HEAT is scary...=3

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Exterminas said:
Could someone explain to me how this buisness with the colors really works?
I mean with superman it is like "Here is Cryptonite!" "Blarg" is it the same way with the green guy and a yellow shirt?
Ok, to my cursory knowledge of the Green Lantern continuity, it all begin with this race of near-omnipotent beings that could access a special energy based around emotional state from within themselves. There were 7 emotional "spectrums" that mirrored that of the visible light spectrum. Red- rage/anger, orange- avarice/greed, yellow- fear, green- willpower, blue- hope, indigo- compassion, violet- love. There are several qualities of the specific spectrums, such as Red and Violet being the most unstable because their closest to the edge, etc. etc. but I'm not getting in to that. Later there's also black and white parts of the spectrum, mirroring death and life but that's a story for another day. Each one of the spectrum works differently in conjunction with another part of the spectrum. For example, green light is boosted by that of blue light, and weakened by yellow. Because of this, Hal Jordan was susceptible to Yellow Lanterns, like Sinestro.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
I grew up a Kyle fan, as I wanted to be an artist as a kid. He was really the only DC character I read (over Batman, really. Knightfall was happening around the same time, I think - that's another episode).

I don't think HEAT really won. Kyle was around for a decade, and he's still around now and kept interesting in his own right. And Hal took a back step to John Stewart for awhile before, so a different torchbearer wasn't that different.

What DC really got out of it was lots of publicity and Geoff Johns's knack for putting broken continuity back together while making it relevant. I liked Rebirth, but The Sinestro Corps War was so much better. Didn't get into Blackest Night though, but you know, comics are weird.

I know it's the nature of this show, but I really don't see this fanboy stuff as part of any "Big Picture" at all, and yet I watch this from time to time to see who's complaining about what.

lralowicz

Sep 8, 2009
No. It's not trolling try.

I must be coming from wrong part of the world (Europe) because each time there
is a "Comics are ... (something)" episode my:

I...
DON'T...
CARE...

sign pops up.
I'm not criticising material or something. It's just a statement of lack of interest.
Anyone feels the same or... It is I who needs help? :)
BTW... Funny enough I still enjoy watching the show even if topic doesn't float my boat.

Also...
I must give one thing to comic books. I don't know what authors are smoking but I want it too.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I completely forgot about the weakness to the color yellow. Bruce Lee would have a field day.

Vornek

Jan 25, 2011
Hm I predict a movie about this:
"Attack of The Fanboys!"
"Fear their incessant jabber about how important their action figures are, how gripping and realistic their fan based stories are. FEAR THEM!
No? anyone? I mean we've seen worse movies out there.
*cough*
Twilight
*cough*

Ah well. It's always nice to hear summaries of the various comic book heroes. Makes me glad I never got to read more than...five-ten issues that I'd find at random shops while on car trips with my parents.

And I really have to ask (though I honestly doubt I'll get an answer)

Bob, you have "The Big Picture", "Escape To The Movies", the "Intermission" column,
*Inhale*
Watch tons of movies, have an occasional say on "Extra Consideration",
*Inhale*
read comics (unsure if you still do but you have done that's for sure), you have the "Game Over-thinker"
*Inhale*
and you say you read all (or well, most) of the comments on...well, you (might be more precise to say the ones about you). And possibly more stuff I haven't even caught onto yet
*Exhale*

My question is:
...How do you find time to sleep? Or for that manner, think.
If I did half of those things...My brain would probably overload, or just give up and go to sleep.

Keep up the good work though.

-V

Jumpingbean3

May 3, 2009
To be fair although the complainers did sound REALLY bitchy it didn't really make sense for Hal Jordan to violently murder people he'd worked with for years even given what had happened to him. Yeah they did explain it (in a way that only a superhero comic can get away with) in the end but that was ten years later.

Denmarkian

Feb 1, 2008
Parallax?

I thought Parallax was a giant-yellow-psychic-alien-insect-thing that took over Hal's mind and drove him to kill the rest of the corps.

Is that how H.E.A.T. got their good ol' Hal back?

Isn't Parallax the big final enemy Ryan Reynolds is going to fight in the Green Lantern Movie this summer?

<a hrf=http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/content/green-lantern-movie-final-battle-spoiler>As spoiled by a toy release

As an aside, H.E.A.T. in my city stands for "Help Eliminate Auto Theft"

Jin-Roh

Oct 26, 2009
dex-dex said:
HankMan said:
dex-dex said:
holy freaky deaky dude!
and I thought I encountered some hard core fanboys/girls!
Ain't no fanboys like right wing fanboys dex.
http://southpawbeagle.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/tea-party-blacks.jpg
and there is a reason why I don't live in America.
... on a side note... American's each owe $545,000 to the rest of the world.... come form the right wing and left wing fanboys... "Go team retard"