The Big Picture: In Defense of Nostalgia

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Blind Sight said:
Moviebob, follower of Alvin Toffler, but apparently not Edmund Burke.

omegawyrm said:
Aurini said:
I consider myself a failure, if a Liberal isn't calling me a racist nazi. >D
It's good to know that it's not just the conservative-minded people in my personal life that are backward-thinking, morally superior jerks. The ones on the internet are the same way! Reading forum posts makes me feel so much less guilty when I make sweeping generalizations about entire ways of thought.
Good to know that you counter their moral superiority complex with another moral superiority complex.
I figured the /sarcasm tag would be unnecessary, but apparently not. My point was that you're acting like a jerk and it makes your entire position look bad.

Toriver

Lvl 20 Hedgehog Wizard
Jan 25, 2010
While I agree with some of Bob's political views, I think we have to be careful about how we handle politics as a group built around a hobby we can largely enjoy together without one word said about politics. I feel that lately, people of certain political views, that are more common than many think, and a HUGE number of religious views, are increasingly being alienated and even demonized by mainstream gamer culture. Personally, I think it comes down to demographics and the majority political and religious views of the demographic that plays AAA games the most (teenagers/college crowd), but it doesn't make gamer culture look good when it comes across that unless you hold certain views of other pretty much unrelated issues, while you're welcome to play, you're not welcome in the culture surrounding it. If we want to be all about tolerance and inclusiveness, then that also means including people who may disagree with you about sensitive issues. I'm sadly noticing more and more of a trend where the opposite is happening, and it's really starting to get under my skin. So can we please not try to dictate a certain politics or religion (or lack thereof) of gaming and let everyone think what they want about those issues? If people should be allowed to marry whoever they want, then surely people should be allowed to vote for whoever they want or worship in whatever (harmless) way they want without having to sacrifice something else that's important to them.

I forgot

Jul 7, 2010
When it comes to video games here's what you have to realize. ORIGINALITY IS OVERRATED. A game isn't fun because it's original but because it's rules and structure were made in a way that people found playing it fun. Anyone who likes a game would prefer it to continue and to refine and improve its design. People who're complaining about Nintendo remaking games are just scraping for excuses so that they have a reason to ***** at them but without considering the logical reasons why they remake them (Not everyone owns every damn console so remakes of past games is favorable to those who missed out on them, especially when they tweak sections of the game that were broken) or complaining about them not making new IP when first of all, they have, and second, the IP isn't what matters but the game; if you're complaining about not enough IPs then you don't care about playing games but about art assets. This quote below is also good to read.

brainiac2 said:
There's also the adverse to change within a franchise. In no franchise is this more clear than in Pokemon. Half of the fanbase declares that pokemon was only good back in Red and Blue and that all of the new games are terrible. These people are blinded by nostalgia. Red and Blue were terribly designed games, the fighting mechanics weren't very good, and you couldn't do all that much. Every successive generation has made the games better, not worse. The fighting mechanics weren't really properly developed until Gen 4. People say the old pokemon were the best ones, but honestly I don't really like many of their designs. Gen 3 has most of my favorite pokemon, though Gen 5 is a close second. The problem is, no one will listen to all the things that have improved. They just want their old pokemon, regardless of the actual quality of it, because it reminds them of their childhood.

Frankly, I don't get why people are so adverse to franchises continuing to make games. People complain how Mario and Pokemon are exactly the same as the old games, not changing anything, when in fact each new game has new elements added and improvements to gameplay. The games are supposed to be similar, because it's that gameplay that made them popular in the first place. When people point out the side games that these franchises make, they say that those games don't count and that the main games are too much of the same. So, basically, you want these successful franchises to just stop? You want these companies to stop making fun, enjoyable games just because they've made similar games in the past? Frankly, as long as the new Mario or Pokemon of Call of Duty is fun, I'm happy they made it. Hell, if people are willing to buy the new sports games for the roster and stat changes, I say more power to them, and that EA is making a good business decision.

Also, one last question for the thread: has there EVER been a good live action movie based on an animated TV show? Like, a fresh on rotten tomatoes?

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
kara_bulut said:
True there mate.

But not being American sometimes I kind of lose track what you're talking about Bob.
You gotto assume that not all of your audience are going to be American's.

There are 6 other continents on Earth you know ?
There are!?! I better go ask Canada to confirm this.

OT: I pretty much agree.

Mcupobob out!!

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
cymonsgames said:
I am getting tired of the gay marriage thing being dredged up over and over again whenever someone wants to show how liberal they are. I agree that the majority of people who oppose gay marriage generally do so for the wrong reasons, but that doesn't make it right. If you're right for the wrong reasons, you're still right.

But I'm not willing to even discuss why they might be right with people who are so bent on being "forward thinking" that they can't consider that maybe, just maybe, the ignorant, scared, slavering masses might be right about this one.
If, however, the right reason simply does not exist, then you are just wrong, flat out. This is the case with opposition to gay marriage. The only even remotely valid reason is a religious reason, but marriage is not owned by or solely contained within religion (and in fact marriage predates most modern religions, it's certainly existed much longer than Christianity has), and thus a religious reason for opposing gay marriage does not hold water. You could argue that a church should not be obligated to perform gay marriages if they feel it goes against their religious beliefs, but then they shouldn't be denied it either if those running the church choose to do so (and there are many many churches who have no opposition to gay marriage), nor should gay couples be denied the opportunity to hold a non-religious wedding, as it is possible to be legally married without any religious involvement at all. And since there is no reason outside of religion to oppose homosexuality, this means that if you are against gay marriage, you are just wrong. No discussion, no debate, no ifs, ands, or buts, you're just wrong.

EDIT: Also, Glenn Beck is insane and everyone who follows him mindlessly is, well, mindless.

Imperator-Zor

Nov 18, 2009
In regards to bad Nostalgia, Gold fetishism is high on the list. Its an inefficient and primitive system of currency. Money is generated by economic expansion, farmers growing crops, factories making goods, artists puting their ideas on kanvas and so forth. If a nation's population doubles and its output per capita remains stable, that means that its value has doubled, but their is not assurance that enough gold to match that will be extracted. It also did not prevent bad banking practices in the 19th century.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I know its not what he's going for but I getting a distinct: republicans and conservatives are wrong and a problem vibe. Maybe its just because of all the inflammatory hate that those groups sometimes get on the internet and not the video itself. Also, congratulations on discovering an imbedded cultural response in your intro Bob. Anthropologists spend their lives discovering cool little thing like that.

0megaZer0

Jun 26, 2009
Hi, I'm Bob, and I and in love the idea of the future.

I'm a science fiction geek that loves all things brainy and absolutely DESPISE anything "macho".
{getting beat up in high school was such a drag!}
I am into computers / video games / tech.
I believe science is the epitome of human accomplishment and should be lauded as such.
I also believe that using any science other then what is currently painted out as FACT is GOING BACKWARDS.
I think language is FLUID! and thus open to PROGRESS as well, so FORGET about any conceived notion of a pre-established DEFINITION! words can mean whatever I want them to!! :D
I believe space is the final and greatest frontier - I cried when the space program was cancelled here in the US.
I secretly wish for a "perfect" and entirely unrealistic utopian society where all problems (like homeless/ poor people, what TRAGEDIES, amirite guise??) re solved and is entirely fantasy and unrealistic.
I think PROGRESS is the most important thing EVER.
I like Star Wars and Star Trek, and all space sci-fi really; and ANYTHING that could possibly, maybe come in the way of that should be taken out back and SHOT.[especially that stupid RELIGION junk, yuck!] not that I believe in guns or violence or anything like that. {I'm basically too much of a coward to use those icky things anyways...}

So yeah guys! basically, fuck Tradition an all those things affiliated with it! any nostalgia not directly related with MY childhood is BAD nostalgia! -_-

BELIEVE what I say! It are based in pure FACT!!! Not like any of you stupid, ignorant, bigoted fuckheads that disagree with me! [seriously, FUCK you guys!]

See you next time! ^_^

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
200 years is nothing for most nations. For the record.

Hey heres a fun game, after the fall of the soviet union guess who most of these suddenly new nations decided to base their constitution on? Take a wild guess on who they decided might be a good idea.

The US Constitution is one of the most remarkable pieces of paper ever written based on even more remarkable pieces of paper. Funnily enough it's that paper which by the way can be changed as has been fairly often considering it's fairly young age allowing quite a few changes.

So please don't take pot shots at the founding fathers and the constitution. It's got enough people who spend all day, every day doing such.

On to the meat of the subject! I agree. Not all nostalgia is bad, hell I am enjoying the redone thundercats for example. However you really are comparing small and big things which really doesn't quite fit. Geek nostalgia, is not really political nostalgia and I am just feeling you are kinda reaching for straws to fit. Ya know?

llubtoille

Apr 12, 2010
kara_bulut said:
True there mate.

But not being American sometimes I kind of lose track what you're talking about Bob.
You gotto assume that not all of your audiance are going to be American's.

There are 6 other continents on Earth you know ?
However, in watching an American based anything, one must assume that the societal view points will also be American based.
Those not American enough to understand the contexts of some topics can either ignore or skip those bits.
He shouldn't cater for those who don't follow American culture any more than he should cater for those who can't speak English.
(I'm not American, and didn't really follow any of the last half either)

I like nostalgia, I live in the past a lot.
That said, I don't watch the kind of remake movies that give off either a 'cash in' or lip service vibe.
However if it's a genuine attempt to renew a old story concept, that's fine in my books.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
As always Bob makes the mistake (Although I doubt it is accidental) of the two choices fallacy. You are either complaining about nostalgia in video games and completely ignoring any other factors, or you are ok with all that stuff and ramping on the 'important stuff'. This makes the whole episode useless, this division simply does not exist, something I assume is clear to everyone.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
Parnage said:

Hey heres a fun game, after the fall of the soviet union guess who most of these suddenly new nations decided to base their constitution on? Take a wild guess on who they decided might be a good idea.

The US Constitution is one of the most remarkable pieces of paper ever written based on even more remarkable pieces of paper. Funnily enough it's that paper which by the way can be changed as has been fairly often considering it's fairly young age allowing quite a few changes.

So please don't take pot shots at the founding fathers and the constitution. It's got enough people who spend all day, every day doing such.
Is this what Americans get taught in school? Please do your homework, what you are implying is nonsense, borderline insane even.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Ne1butme said:
I miss the 1840's. That's the ideal that should be restored.

Bring back the Whig party!!!!

Wow, you remember the 1840s?? :O

Anyways Bob, I got nothing against nostalgia for Mario/Zelda/any old Nintendo series. Hell, you and me are the same age, I experienced the 80s and 90s the same way you did so Mario, Zelda, mean as much to me as they do you when it comes to nostalgia. But honestly, when you're doing the GameOverthinker, it seems you do nothing but attack most of today's games. Calling them film rip offs, for instance I know what you'd say for Deus Ex: HR, you'd call it a tired attempt at re-imagining Bladerunner. Or Fallout series a tired attempt at re-imagining Mad Max.

I've hardly heard you make any positive acknowledgement about new games except maybe Bioshock or Batman:AA. And honestly, this is the best times for video games, gaming has more to offer now than it ever did, and I can apply the same argument you have for recycling old ideas you have for movies as I have for games (the argument that nothing is original).

As a game critic, I can't take you as seriously as I do with your critics in films or politics for that matter. All you come across as is that bias bitter Nintendo guy that demands nothing but retro games. You're a niche voice with the potential to have a lot more to say then you do with gaming.

And sometimes I wonder if you've ever even played half the "new" games you tend to criticize. For instance, have you played Mass Effect yet, any of the Fallout games, Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, anything other than Call of Duty and Halo? I mean I've seen you criticize Call of Duty and Halo to death, but that's not all gaming today has to offer.

Avistew

Jun 2, 2011
I've just realised that you say "rose coloured" in English, not "pink coloured", and I wonder why that is.

I don't have much to say on this weeks video because I agree with it. Didn't get the reference, but I'm confident that I'm awesome anyways.
I do wonder though, I thought you created a political show so that you had a place for talking about politics that wasn't your other shows. I guess you figured this issue was too much of a mix and ended up fitting better with the "whatever the hell I want" show you have?

0megaZer0

Jun 26, 2009
kingmob said:
Parnage said:

Is this what Americans get taught in school? Please do your homework, what you are implying is nonsense, borderline insane even.
How so?

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
TWEWER said:
That's the problem with left-wing people. They always think that their political viewpoint is "intellectual" or "progressive", and everybody that doesn't agree with them are "old-fashioned" and "ignorant". Just like it's wrong write off all remakes of old movies, it's wrong to write off people with different political opinions than yours.
being in favour of budget cuts and tax reductions for the upperclasses doesnt make you "ignorant" or "old fasioned". Being homophobic, racist and idealising this bygone age which was actually a pretty terrible period of time does make you ignorant.

Political diversity is good, but so is sexual and racial.