The Big Picture: Junk Drawer: Game On

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
some other stuff bob?... :)
also yay another junk drawer episode! love those...

Voltano

Dec 11, 2008
I agree with Bob here that it wouldn't hurt to make a peripheral for the Iphone/Ipod (or Android) that has buttons instead of relying on the touch screen. It shouldn't replace the touch-screen, but make it something more 'convenient' for players to chose their preferred input device method for their gaming on the go.

Plus, doesn't the I-whatever have Bluetooth or Wireless capability? Couldn't there be a plethora of gamepads for the I-something similar to gamepads for the PC?

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
ok. rather good episode, i glad he didn't go into argh cod and halo stink arguement, really really happy. plus he did make a good point of the sexy/sexist arguement.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Mmm looking back on it I do got to agree that Skyward sword did had alot of love related involvement compared to the past games. Yeah the Link and Zelda relationship is far better compared to Twilight Princess due to Zelda wasn't in it 98% of the entire story.

QUINTIX

May 16, 2008
Voltano said:
Plus, doesn't the I-whatever have Bluetooth or Wireless capability? Couldn't there be a plethora of gamepads for the I-something similar to gamepads for the PC?
So far as I know, they already exist: see this [http://www.pcworld.com/article/248087/icade_transformed_into_iphone_gamepad_by_modgod_ben_heck.html]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think we al know who that poster is of. The lips give it away. Even ifi hadnt known that was ivy, it was easy to guess.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
In terms of the Soul Calibue poster, Its Japan, from what I saw over there everything is sexualized or made to look "alluring" in some way.

I doubt we'll see the same advert in the west to be honest, we tend to be a lot more vocal and/or prudish to this kind of thing......except in shitty music videos.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Nice episode.

...So did anyone else think that he was saying something very different after going from the sexuality in Zelda to saying Junk Drawer?

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
Junk Drawer: Game On

A hodgepodge of gaming discussion.

Watch Video
I'm 100% with you on the Skyward Sword thing. It was one of the first things I noticed: a direct allusion to romantic interest between Link and Zelda. Not just "fated partners" or "lifelong friends," either.

Since this aspect of the game is, in a sense, maturing... maybe we'll begin to see installments that go further? We've seen kid Link. We've seen teen Link. We've seem ambiguous-young-adult Link... but have we seen an incarnation that appears to go beyond the age of, say, 19?

It could be interesting. An older Link, perhaps with a family... a Link who has something to lose. I dunno, it's got me curious.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
wooty said:
In terms of the Soul Calibue poster, Its Japan, from what I saw over there everything is sexualized or made to look "alluring" in some way.

I doubt we'll see the same advert in the west to be honest, we tend to be a lot more vocal and/or prudish to this kind of thing......except in shitty music videos.
I was thinking the same thing. It's excellent material for the sexism/sexy divide, but I don't want to judge Japanese advertizing by Western standards.

Although I'd be happier if she actually had a face.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
You know what would be great? Games for Android/iOS that complement sibling games for the PC(or console). Example: Let's say an objective/mission based multiplayer space combat game gets released for PC. Make it involve capital ships facing off while fighters skirmish between and around them. The catch? The fighters are piloted on the PC in a standard space sim style, while the capital ships are controlled strategically by people playing the Android/iOS version. The handheld player could maneuver, set up fire zones(think that bad ass scene in the Battlestar Galactica miniseries where banks of cannons were firing at the Cylon swarm) and possibly even set up objectives for the fighters pilots on PC. I would buy the fuck out of that game.

Okysho

Sep 12, 2010
Voltano said:
I agree with Bob here that it wouldn't hurt to make a peripheral for the Iphone/Ipod (or Android) that has buttons instead of relying on the touch screen. It shouldn't replace the touch-screen, but make it something more 'convenient' for players to chose their preferred input device method for their gaming on the go.

See this weeks check point on Penny arcade? They're doing it for iPads...

OT:

'bout time we got some real video game thought from the game overthinker here on the Escapist. I agree 100% about the sexualization poster. I'm surprised Namco went and did something like that. I don't think I've ever seen ANY Japanese video game company (within reason) pull this kind of stunt. Anyone remember Dante's inferno?

Skyward Sword. Gotta love it... except Fi... She's annoying, but like Navi, I can look past... plot-related flaws... Everything else she does makes me want to chuck the sword away...
As for Zelda. I thought the plot was a bit anime-esque (in a good way, I love anime). The relationship bits were a nice touch, even if the whole game is "Go find Zelda!!". It's something the Zelda franchise has never pulled and something I haven't seen Nintendo pull since Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo at the very least. (more recently if you count the remake, Shadow Dragon) I just can't get past their aesthetic choice... Links face... it... bugs me!!!

CronoT

May 15, 2010
When Hiroshi Yamauchi was the head of NCL, one of his biggest pet peeves was sexual content in the games. He didn't mind overt violence, but he knew that the backlash from putting sexual content in what was still mainly a child's past time would be massive in its scale, and could possible topple the company.

Even though Yamauchi isn't the Chairman of NCL anymore, that corporate ethos has stuck around.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
As a quote-unquote "hardcore" Windows/PC user trying DESPERATELY to remove my friend from Steve Job's Undead Teat, I couldn't help but laugh and agree with Bob's comment on buttons. My buddy has Chrono Trigger for his iPhone - it's the first time he's ever owned/played it, and he only bought it because I gave him a gift card for iTunes - and, quite frankly, I've tried to play it to get him past some choke points, and I have so much trouble with the damn thing I just wanna go spring for the DS version, give that to him, and say "have fun, here's another thing you can do on a non-apple product"

And before I get hate from Apple fans, he bought a $1.2k Mac and a $200 copy of Windows...all so he could play on Steam...if any fan of Apple can give me a logical reason to go to that expense, when the dude works part-time at Safeway, PLEASE indulge me...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Scars Unseen said:
You know what would be great? Games for Android/iOS that complement sibling games for the PC(or console). Example: Let's say an objective/mission based multiplayer space combat game gets released for PC. Make it involve capital ships facing off while fighters skirmish between and around them. The catch? The fighters are piloted on the PC in a standard space sim style, while the capital ships are controlled strategically by people playing the Android/iOS version. The handheld player could maneuver, set up fire zones(think that bad ass scene in the Battlestar Galactica miniseries where banks of cannons were firing at the Cylon swarm) and possibly even set up objectives for the fighters pilots on PC. I would buy the fuck out of that game.
I don't understand why there isn't more of this in the industry. A mass media property like Star Wars or Star Trek can have movies, TV series, animated series, action figures, comic books, and different kinds of video games.

Some video game properties have almost as much breadth as these. Why can't they have multiple genres of game exploring different parts of the setting and concepts? All this bitching about Mass Effect getting multiplayer. Mass Effect is a detailed setting with a lot of lore that could support many genres of game. Why not have your standard single-player story-driven RPG franchise for BioWare traditionalists, make a separate online multiplayer cover-based shooter set in the Mass Effect universe for Gears fans (and have your dream matches of Eclipse mercs vs. salarian Special Tasks Group vs. krogan krantt vs. N7 commando squad), tap a good indie studio to make an old-fashioned space combat sim for Steam/PSN/XBLA, and even have a resource management game for iOS/Android/Facebook where you play rival volus trading houses? Why is the Mario franchise the only one that seems to make this work?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Falseprophet said:
Scars Unseen said:
I don't understand why there isn't more of this in the industry. A mass media property like Star Wars or Star Trek can have movies, TV series, animated series, action figures, comic books, and different kinds of video games.

Some video game properties have almost as much breadth as these. Why can't they have multiple genres of game exploring different parts of the setting and concepts? All this bitching about Mass Effect getting multiplayer. Mass Effect is a detailed setting with a lot of lore that could support many genres of game. Why not have your standard single-player story-driven RPG franchise for BioWare traditionalists, make a separate online multiplayer cover-based shooter set in the Mass Effect universe for Gears fans (and have your dream matches of Eclipse mercs vs. salarian Special Tasks Group vs. krogan krantt vs. N7 commando squad), tap a good indie studio to make an old-fashioned space combat sim for Steam/PSN/XBLA, and even have a resource management game for iOS/Android/Facebook where you play rival volus trading houses? Why is the Mario franchise the only one that seems to make this work?
Just guessing here, but maybe it's because Mario has been at that for quite a while, so I guess people have gotten used to seeing him in a diverse range of games. And to be honest, quite a few of the early Mario spin-offs weren't exactly up to his usual quality standards. I can imagine people raising their eyebrows when Mario Kart was first announced. But then again, the internet wasn't widespread back then, so it was harder to shout out any displeasure for the whole world to hear.

But that just covers the consumer base's objections. As to why developers don't do it? No idea, but usually these questions can be answered with 'pubishers don't feel like taking the risk'.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
One thing of note on the Soul Calibur poster is pointing out who it is: Ivy Valentine.

I won't deny that it basically crossed the usual line of not quite sexist, but I will also concede that this is another nation we're talking about that already has it's issues. If you really wanted to talk about it, it is worth noting it's Ivy, since she's always been the sex appeal character. What makes it interesting is she's never had anything remotely like that fur lined outfit in the ad, but the snake IS part of her usual design. Check other promo art, she's always had that snake necklace, so if that was meant to be symbolic in the image or not can be debated. It's one of the 3 ways you can identify who it is.

And no, her breasts are not two of the ways. (It's her lips, the hair hanging down, and the necklace)