The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Revisited

Loves2spooge

Apr 13, 2009
Bob, THANK YOU for mentioning the Nathan Fillion thing. I'm so tired of people speaking about him like the be all and end all of dry-humoured, everyman action stars. He's a good actor, yes; but as you said, he's 40, and unless you've established your legacy as an action star in your twenties, then it's not gonna pick up any time soon. I'm not saying he's a bad actor, but I doubt they're picking him up any time soon for any big roles. Being forty in Hollywood is like being 70 in real life, unless you have that legacy to back you up.

theguiltyone

Jan 6, 2010
TheSchaef said:
All the heroes Nathan Fillion is perfect to play, he is already playing. Malcolm Reynolds. Captain Hammer. The Holy Avenger.

Fillion is the biggest cheeseball in Hollywood and he is going to continue to keep his rabid fans... well, rabid, by continuing to take cheeseball roles and cheese up the screen. Soak it in and be glad to have someone who's so self-aware and appreciative of his following. I promise the first time he takes a genuinely dramatic role, you're all going to feel betrayed... deeply betrayed. The Majestic betrayed. Just follow my lead and keep worshipping the cheese.
This is my feeling exactly. As much as I wish Nathan all the success in the world, I love him just the way he is.

Besides, him becoming a big time movie actor means less opportunity to stalk him at conventions. SO. That settles that.

Honestly, I think the following he has are a group of fans who are just eagerly chanting for Firefly's return (unrealistic, but a nice dream) as they are for Nathan to be recognized by the world at large. I think those two ideas are just as out of our reach, but has that ever stopped people before?

I mean come on, you should see some of the ridiculous petitions some Twihards draw up, sometime.

EDIT: Also thoughts on Ryan Reynold's Hal Jordan vs Nathan Fillion's Hal Jordon? Like I could resist bringing that up.

K V MAN

Sep 20, 2010
Thrust said:
The Dark Knight Rises doesn't have to be another Dark Knight, I trust Nolan to give us a good story.
and yet there will be some idiot who will compare the two and declare that dark night was way better and go back to joker worshiping

P.S. i thought dark night was great but i will not compare the two.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
I really hope the new DCU isn't reverted after a year. Some of the new books announced (mostly the whole 'Dark'/supernatural line) look really good.

Tarkand said:
Orekoya said:
Wow could you please stop sucking Dark Knight's dick as hard as you are? "last will and testament of this great actor" well then what does that make The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?
A movie nobody saw?
I think you mean 'a really good movie that nobody saw'.

=P

pwnsore

Apr 6, 2010
So much rage, so very much rage all the time. It's getting a little hard to watch honestly.

Mister Linton

Mar 11, 2011
Take Bob's opinion of the GL movie with a grain of salt. One of his major complaints was the CGI work, yet he LOVED the GI Joe movie...

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
MovieBob said:
Junk Drawer Revisited

A quick look at a lot of bits and pieces.

Watch Video
BOB! That was a very mean trick, putting a Fraggle Rock picture up front then having no Fraggle content.

Besides that cruelty the rest was good. It gave folks stuff to talk about and was probably more correct than incorrect.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Two things:

Heath Ledger dieing has nothing to do with the quality of the movie his acting ability and the writing is what is important to the character not a bunch of real world events.

And the mario tanooki suit turning you into a statue isn't random, it's part of Japanese mythology raccoons could shape shift and turning into a statue to hide was a common trick.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I want that Koala suit now... Also, I agree with you about DNF. We should have all expected it to suck.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
teebeeohh said:
nobody thought that duke nukem would be good, just not this bad.
also: not every game can be made better by putting the protagonist in animal costumes, the same way not every game is better by giving it a gritty reboot.
I agree with this. Also, I now have to ask, whats with everybody Ive talked to fauning over the Tonoki suit? Im refraining from calling them all Furry-freaks. And as for Duke Nukem, Never was excited, just wanted the game for the sake of having a piece of videogame history (the fact the longest running vaporware title is released).

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Well-said, I have no idea how some people can still look at Duke Nukem and still claim he has so much as a personality.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
GiantRaven said:
I really hope the new DCU isn't reverted after a year. Some of the new books announced (mostly the whole 'Dark'/supernatural line) look really good.

Tarkand said:
Orekoya said:
Wow could you please stop sucking Dark Knight's dick as hard as you are? "last will and testament of this great actor" well then what does that make The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus?
A movie nobody saw?
I think you mean 'a really good movie that nobody saw'.

=P
Not really no.

I personally found the movie to be rather boring. Nice imagery and everything, but none of the characters were actually interesting or compelling. The movie was beautiful, but it wasn't compelling. But that was to be expected, as Gilliam has a decade-old habit of sabotaging his work by piling on wild images without regard to character development or storytelling.

It wasn't bad per say... but it wasn't awesome either. Solid 3 out of 5 star here, certainly nothing to write home about. And for what it's worth, that is pretty much the critical consensus as well.

That's pretty much the reason the Joker is the last role Ledger is remembered for - even thought it wasn't his real last role. Dark Knight was a great movie, the Imaginarium wasn't. Were Ledger still alive, he'd be known for playing the Joker, I don't think the Imaginarium would be anything but a footnote on his resume.

ZPowers

Feb 8, 2011
misterprickly, you do see the irony in your post, right? The "quit yer bitchin" (which singles out bitchin' over preference) post that ends with you bitchin' about how the Dark Knight is overrated and morons are the only ones who like it (which is, coincidentally, also super-trollish)?

Just making sure you caught that.

Also: I don't care about Green Lantern, but I do hope X-Men: First Class can maybe pull a sequel. Fassbender is great as Magneto (of course, I also find McKellan pretty awesome)

PS I really like the Dark Knight, but Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus is totally worth checking out too. Here, let me help:

Tom Waits as the devil.

If you know who Tom Waits is, that alone should sell you.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Mister Linton said:
Take Bob's opinion of the GL movie with a grain of salt. One of his major complaints was the CGI work, yet he LOVED the GI Joe movie...
You make a very good point, Sir. I tried to watch that movie, I really did. I wanted to give it a shot.

It was the perfect time politically for a GI Joe Movie, too. They couldn't do it. It was setpiece after setpiece after setpiece. Calling anything stringing it together a narrative would have been generous.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
wowthisishard said:
I'd say Green Lantern's odds at a sequel might be marginally better than you think because unlike something like Avatar, a lot of the money Green Lantern generates is going to be in merchandise (toys, clothes, etc.) rather than just movie ticket/dvd and blu-ray sales. Of course, I haven't seen the movie and am a little disappointed over how I'm hearing it's turning out, so I may just be underestimating how bad the response to it is out of hope for a good Green Lantern movie.
Lets also not forget that unlike Avatar, big companies backed this movie.

Coke products and many resteraunts that sell their product are having promotions for the movie - Avatar did not. If you dont believe me, drop by your local Subway sometime soon.

They will, more than likely, make a sequel. It had a backing, and while it didnt hit well with online critics, its still selling relatively well, and people liked it. The rule of thumb is this - if you know the lore, it was bad. If you didnt know the lore, it wasnt half bad.

Also, DNF was a bad game? Once again, says who? A few critics didnt like it. Oh well. The shooting stood up solidly, the puzzles were fun and engaging. I can guarentee this game would be praised if you took the same game and changed the name and main character, and tweaked the controls a bit.

Tarkand

Dec 15, 2009
What's funny to me about Bob is his double standard on hindsight and perspective.

Bob is obviously an easy target for nostalgia, and that is fine and good... but he doesn't seem to realize that just like many comic in the 90s went for grittiness for grittiness's sake, many of the games in the golden age of gaming went for silliness for silliness's sake.

And while read today, many comic book from that period (i.e. Youngblood, Preacher, Spawn, etc) now come off as 'trying to hard' and immature (where ironically, their grittiness made them appear more mature not 10 years ago)... the same can be said for some of the less wise design choice in many of his favorite franchise.

The Tanuki suit (sp) is a prime example of this... Mario dresses up as a raccoon and he can fly and turn into stone? WTF?! It doesn't make any sense (which isn't bad per say), it has no thematic link to the rest of the setting (And that is the problem) and it's only a lack of perspective and nostalgia to make it seem cool.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Actually Bob, considering that the mythological tanooki could actually shape shift and fly, the original Tanooki suit's powers weren't actually completely unrelated to the animal in question.
Also I'm not all that disappointed to learn that the new version of the Tanooki suit can no longer turn into a statue since I never found that to be particularly useful anyway.