The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Rises

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
omegawyrm said:
stueymon said:
Also, Batman is the only interesting DC character, the rest are Demi-gods walking amongst mere mortals, Over-powered fantasy characters that even the Bat himself falls prey too in "Being able to plan for everything" trap.

Yes, I prefer Marvel characters, they have tend to have a Set power, and stick to it.

(note, I'm not massively into comics so I don't have a ton of lore, just working off what I've seen)
Uh, I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure DC has a TON of non-powered characters. Wildcat, Green Arrow, Huntress, the entire bat-family, Shining Knight, and Manhunter just off the top of my head. And that's not even counting "suit" characters.
Superman can now run x number of times faster than light and is immune to kryptonite, so yeah.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
The Great JT said:
-I'm going to say something that will probably be controversial. Justice League Unlimited was probably the last time the DC Universe was anything resembling good.
You never bothered to watch Young Justice or Teen Titans did you? Or perhaps any of the DC animated movies to come out in the last 7 years. They're generally not very well advertised, but you can easily pick them up in stores when they come out or on Amazon and they are almost always excellent.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Glad I'm not the only one getting a little stunad with Batman. Me, I always preferred Superman, but even if you forced me to watch some Batman, I prefer Terry McGinnis over Bruce Wayne. At least Terry has more personality than a bag of dirt. He's hilarious. He's like Spiderman with all of Batman's gadgets.

As for the Mario vs. CoD debate, I agree with Bob here. Yeah, Mario games are always platformers, just like CoD is always an FPS series. The thing is, though, that every Mario game does something different with the platformer formula and just uses the basic Mario mechanics as a jumping-off point. CoD has been the same damn game for the last five years, and this is from someone who actually liked MW2 but thought WaW blew. At least Black Ops II looks to mix up the formula somewhat and has been the first one I've been genuinely excited about since CoD3, and I never even ended up playing CoD3.

You know why I think people see it the other way, though? Because FPSes are currently the genre. When someone says "it's an FPS," people'll ask "What kind of FPS?" If someone says "it's a platformer" these days, you'll hear shouts of "God, another one?" The current gaming culture is in FPSes, so people'll look closer than surface-deep. Since platformers are currently "one of those other genres," people'll see a platformer and won't care or wish to know anything other than "platformer." Especially Mario games. Yeah, goombas, koopas, ?-blocks, whatever. You wouldn't want a Half-Life game without headcrabs or a crowbar.

Point is: do a little research, people. NSMB2 is a score-attack game based on getting a whole lot of coins and all the mechanics have been retooled around having as many ways to get those coins as possible. NSMBU looks to trying to have the most dynamic, detailed environments in a 2D Mario since Yoshi's Island, plus we've got the whole GamePad implementation for asymmetric gameplay and speed-runs, as well as the return of the multiplayer focus from NSMBWii.

And as for the Zangief thing, I don't care. The fact that they're actually caring to get all these licenses in the first place is awesome. They could've just stopped at Bowser and Eggman, but they're doing characters from games even I'm not that knowledgeable about. I eagerly await Wreck-It Ralph, because it looks positively awesome. Plus you've got the guy who did Steve Brule from Tim & Eric as the main character and a character played by Sarah Silverman, so what's not to like?

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Spot1990 said:
TwiZtah said:
omegawyrm said:
stueymon said:
Also, Batman is the only interesting DC character, the rest are Demi-gods walking amongst mere mortals, Over-powered fantasy characters that even the Bat himself falls prey too in "Being able to plan for everything" trap.

Yes, I prefer Marvel characters, they have tend to have a Set power, and stick to it.

(note, I'm not massively into comics so I don't have a ton of lore, just working off what I've seen)
Uh, I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure DC has a TON of non-powered characters. Wildcat, Green Arrow, Huntress, the entire bat-family, Shining Knight, and Manhunter just off the top of my head. And that's not even counting "suit" characters.
Superman can now run x number of times faster than light and is immune to kryptonite, so yeah.
Since when is he immune to Kryptonite? If anything he's been depowered since the new 52.
This was taken from the wiki on Kryptonite where it says "Superman is shown to have become immune to the effects of green Kryptonite due to either repeated non-fatal exposure, continuous long-term absorption of solar radiation, or extremely high short-term exposure to the sun.

TwiZtah

Sep 22, 2011
Spot1990 said:
TwiZtah said:
Spot1990 said:
TwiZtah said:
omegawyrm said:
stueymon said:

Since when is he immune to Kryptonite? If anything he's been depowered since the new 52.
This was taken from the wiki on Kryptonite where it says "Superman is shown to have become immune to the effects of green Kryptonite due to either repeated non-fatal exposure, continuous long-term absorption of solar radiation, or extremely high short-term exposure to the sun.
How incredibly disingenuous, so you're just going to ignore the stonking great "In various stories..." right before that part you quoted? Those various stories include Kingdom Come (happened on Earth 22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(Kingdom_Come) ) and All Star Superman which (also on wiki) "These series are attempts by DC to allow major comics creators a chance to tell stories showcasing these characters without being restricted by DC Universe continuity."

Superman in regular continuity does not have an immunity to Kryptonite. That's like complaining that Batman's overpowered because in In Darkest Knight he gets the green lantern ring.
I did not know this, thanks for the information.

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
So Mario gets to exist for ages in marginally different games, but Batman, existing across several different media is enough, you must be joking :) (disclaimer, I am actually nto really excited for the new movie, but the point remains).

I also don't understand the hype for Wreck it Ralph, from what I can tell it looks to be an uninspired, standard story, but the 'twist' is it has some video game cameos? I'll wait before getting excited if you don't mind.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
shintakie10 said:
The Great JT said:
-I'm going to say something that will probably be controversial. Justice League Unlimited was probably the last time the DC Universe was anything resembling good.
You never bothered to watch Young Justice or Teen Titans did you? Or perhaps any of the DC animated movies to come out in the last 7 years. They're generally not very well advertised, but you can easily pick them up in stores when they come out or on Amazon and they are almost always excellent.
I do watch Young Justice, I used to watch Teen Titans and no, I haven't been paying too much attention to the various DC animated movies over the years. Mostly out of sheer laziness. I mean yes, there's something insanely awesome about Justice League: New Frontier, but I just never seem to scrounge up the coin for them. I think what I meant was that Justice League Unlimited was the last time something dealt solely with the day-to-day of the Justice League itself.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
2D Mario games used to have a lot of variety back in the NES and SNES days. Now Nintendo is content with just releasing the same game over and over again. Once Nintendo actually does something different with Mario then I'll consider buying a WiiU.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Navvan said:
LadyRhian said:
Navvan said:
omegawyrm said:
stueymon said:

You are correct, there are tons of people that have limited powers and are even entirely human. The "power" difference between the two universes isn't really even existent. In fact the Marvel universe arguable has more powerful characters but they tend to have even more powerful villains/non-heroes. Galactus, The Beyonder, Kubik, Apocalypse, Celestials, Phoenix Force, Infinity Gauntlet, and many others are far more powerful than what is common in the DC universe. That isn't to say there aren't rediciously powerful beings in the DC universe (Spectre, Lucifer, Nekron, Anti-Monitor, and so forth). The problem is in how they are portrayed and who has the spotlight. Superman would be somewhere around Thor's power-level in the Marvel universe I suspect. Just with a bit more utility.
The Big Difference is that Marvel's characters tend to have flaws that limit them more than DC's characters do. Thor, at least in the comics, was limited to a truly human form (with a limp, no less). He wasn't playing at being human, he was human. Whereas Superman just puts on a suit and wears glasses. Spiderman had a truly crappy personal life- he had a complete life of suck where he could do nothing right, not to mention being responsible for his own Uncle's death by not stopping the guy who actually went out and killed him, even though he could have. Batman was a child when his parents got killed. What could he have done to prevent it? I am not saying DC heroes are without personal flaws (although some certainly are, Superman for one), but the Marvel heroes have larger and more limiting ones. That was Stan Lee's big contribution to the genre, that the heroes are more heroic when overcoming personal limitations that actually do limit them in some way.
This person speaks the truth. I suppose I should have expanded upon the statement "...how they are portrayed and who has the spotlight" as it was left rather vague. There are plenty of people within the DC universe that are actually flawed/limited/interesting/well characterized or however you want to put it. Sadly they often aren't in the spotlight. Likewise characters like Superman could be portrayed as having flaws without sacrificing what makes the character who they are. On occasion they are portrayed that way, and incidentally those tend to be the most well received stories whether or not they are canon. It just isn't the case most of the time.

In my original post I merely wanted to point out the "Demi-Gods amongst men" statement wasn't really any different between universes.
The way I would put it is that DC focuses on "characters as symbols" while Marvel focuses on "characters as people", and whichever you prefer really just has to do with what you want to get out of your comic reading. I made the original post to illustrate that it's not the type or quality of characters that are the difference between the two worlds, though I will admit, that I find the symbolism to be one of the big advantages of comics, so I tend to prefer it. And of "characters as people" stories, Top 10 would probably be my favorite.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Zangief is generally played more as the gentle giant in the canonical Street Fighter when he isn't fighting.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 and in Street Fighter 2 he was sent in by Russia to stop Bison and the Shadaloo, which is actually heroic.

After SF2 he becomes a popular wrestler and joins the tournament in 4 to show his fans wrestling is just as badass as martial arts. Which is silly, but no villanous...

Not a villain in any way really...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
1. I never played Street Fighter, so I don't care that Zangief is a "bad guy". I'm just amazed at all the cameos!

2. I'm with Bob on this one: at least the Mario games are (mostly) innovative, war shooters and sports games are the same damned thing over and over and over and over again!

3. Django Unchained: it may be controversial, but as a cynical white girl who despises the very notion of slavery, I'd watch it in a heartbeat, as weird as that sounds.

4. As much as I like Batman... I think he might need to take a break from movies/cartoons/games for a while, let's let someone else get the spotlight.

...And that's all I got.

Oskamunda

Dec 26, 2008
saintdane05 said:
NO! THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH BATMAN!!!!!!!!
The reason the market is ever-saturated with Batman content is because NO-ONE has done it right yet...the closest we have ever come is Tim Burton's two attempts at the franchise, the first two seasons of The Animated Series, Arkham Asylum, and Sword of Azrael (in ascending order of Holy-Shit-Now-THAT-Is-Batman-ness...or, HSNTIBn). Until they get it right, the need to see more Batman, Bruce Wayne, and Gotham City will bubble under the surface and keep people buying.

(Notice I did NOT say Robin, Knightwing, or any of those other doozers)

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
ImmortalDrifter said:
Grimh said:
Nobody ever brings up the greatest failing and betrayal of the Modern Warfare franchise.

They.Fucking.Killed.GHOST.

[sub]You will be remembered...[/sub]

I just can't bring myself to play another MW game after that...
The pain... It's just too much...
Damn you Infinity Ward... [small]Damn you...[/small]
Gaz was cooler.

That's your opinion and I respect that. But by god, I will sit here and stare at you disapprovingly for having it.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
The Deadpool said:
Zangief is generally played more as the gentle giant in the canonical Street Fighter when he isn't fighting.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 and in Street Fighter 2 he was sent in by Russia to stop Bison and the Shadaloo, which is actually heroic.

After SF2 he becomes a popular wrestler and joins the tournament in 4 to show his fans wrestling is just as badass as martial arts. Which is silly, but no villanous...

Not a villain in any way really...
But.. But.. he's from Russia!

Seriously though, totally dead on.

Nit picking would be saying things like his shorts are the wrong shade of red, his chest hair doesn't have the right shape or he's left handed in the trailer but he's right handed in game. That's nit picking.

I somehow doubt the opinion expressed by Bob in this video would be the same if it was a similar situation in a Villains Anonymous type meeting set in a comic book universe movie. You've got Lex Luther, The Joker, Thanos, Loki and Galactus sitting around in a circle with our protagnist .. and the guy who gets the major speaking role in the scene is Batman. Or even, lets say, a more morally ambiguous character like Catwoman. Would it be nitpicking then to say that, just maybe, one of the major actually villainous characters they bothered to put in the scene should probably be the one speaking.. assuming you even accept that Batman or Catwoman should be there in the first place?

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
The first facebook comments are dead on right about the whole Zangief thing.