The Big Picture: Junk Drawer Rises

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Junk Drawer Rises

This week, Moviebob takes a look at Wreck-It Ralph, the Super Mario franchise, and Django Unchained.

Watch Video

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Haven't we reached the point where maybe, just maybe, we've seen enough Mario for a while?

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
saintdane05 said:
NO! THERE CAN NEVER BE ENOUGH BATMAN!!!!!!!!
I will echo this one, again.

PS - you're gonna get a lot of quotes for that one.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
saintdane05 said:
If it continues in the vein of AA/AC and the Begins trilogy, yeah I totally agree with this

Captcha" get over it. LOL

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
The thing with the Mario side-scrollers and all the "mainstream" Mario games are all pretty much made in-house by Nintendo EAD, Nintendo EAD Tokyo, etc., while the Mario spin-offs are made by different divisions of Nintendo or by straight-up third party developers. Is it really that much of a stretch to ask Nintendo maybe, just made, to add a bit more variety to their own games that they, themselves, make? Like another Super Mario Bros. 2-style game? That would be sweet...

Also, who's the Beholder?

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Sis said:
Haven't we reached the point where maybe, just maybe, we've seen enough Mario for a while?
Pretty much this.

And as a fan of the EA Sports NHL franchise, I think it's asinine to talk about how much Mario has innovated and then say those games haven't innovated at all. It just comes off as super pretentious.

"Yeah. I grew up with the NES. My franchise of choice is better than YOUR franchise of choice."

I grew up with an NES too. I'm just not a pretentious ass about it.

Nate Corran

Dec 26, 2009
I am a great lover of Batman, but I do feel he gets WAY over used (and over crapped) because he is the ONLY FUCKING DC character who is both interesting and not a Red and Blue flying deus ex machina. So I agree with that point to an extent.
Also, much appreciation for the Mario vs. Call of Duty thing. I have had WAY too many arguments about that.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Enough Batman? Welcome to my world, living in there for about... well, basicly since the hype of "Dark Knight" was over and before that, I also never cared about a rich guy wearing underpants on his head.

And regarding the Super Mario comment - seems SOMEONE didn't understand the critic regarding those games. It's not the franchise entirely, it's that the 2D-Platformers (as well as some 3D-ones) they now release praise their "new innovations" stuff we've seen in previous games. Galaxy 2? Yoshi - seen already in Super Mario World. And Sunshine.
New Super Mario Bros? Being the same as Super Mario Bros.
New Super Mario Bros Wii? Yoshi, again.
3D Land? Raccoon Tail - seen already in Super Mario Bros. 3.

Nothing against using old concepts in new games, but when the new games just take old ideas and mix those together, then... yeah...

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I don't usually do the inb4 thing but...

saintdane05 said:
Oh, never mind then.

Anyway, I seem to remember reading a while back that they're already talking about the next Batman movie reboot. Personally I'm not really a fan of the Nolanverse, but even I'll admit he's done probably the best 'realistic' take on Batman anyone could ask for. Likewise, nobody's likely to do gothic Batman better than Tim Burton.

So what's left other than straight superhero Batman? Well, if they're serious about doing the JLA then it would make sense to use their flagship movie character (sorry, supes) as the centre of it, but DC just suck at straight superhero movies. The last time they did it right was the early 80s and Superman II.

And they're not learning from Marvel. 'Arrow'? I thought if nothing else the success of the Marvelverse movies meant that comic book movies didn't have to be ashamed of their source material anymore? But no... 'Arrow' just screams of the same lack of confidence that meant it took until the Avengers movies for big screen superheroes to actually have the right costumes.

(And I'm getting the same vibe from what little I've seen of the Superman reboot.)

Oh DC, give it up now. Let Bats rest for a few years. Otherwise we're going to get another Batman and Robin.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Heh, agree SO much on the Mario front.

Thing is, even if they are just pumping out side-scrollers, things shake up a bit. New powerups, new enemies, new ways to interact with the environment (or using modern tech to put a unique spin on the old stuff) and generally giving us a grand experience.

No matter what CoD fans claim, reskinning guns and 'new' perks is nothin to write home about.

Actually, I just want to go to town on that particular topic. Call of Duty has some of the most god damn BORING shooting in all of videogame history. I just had a quick look through my collection of First Person Shooters, and here's a couple of gems from the 'retro' (PS2 and older) section, in no particular order.

A shotgun that fires nails.
A shotgun that fires bouncing explosive shells.
A triple-barrel gatling gun where each barrel is a six-barrel minigun.
A frag grenade made out of flubber.
A self-guiding drill that homes in on brainwaves.
A gravity gun that lets you fire anything at anyone, and by extension can be used to kill zombies with paint cans.
A watch laser.
The Big Fucking Gun 9000.

In this list we have everything from the nifty but near useless to the outright insane. Does any weapon in 90% of modern shooters deserve to be anywhere near this list? Honestly, the only gun I can think of in FPS land that feels half as fun as this is... not in an FPS. It's the Patriot from MGS4 - an infinite-ammo SMG that plays the Snake Eater song when you shoot with it. Even then, however, it's just a less ludicrous (and thus less hillarious) version of the RYNO-V.

Why must the FPS genre be so damn boring now? No wonder I've played 100+ hours of Dragon Age (and its DLC / sequels) consecutively as of late...

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Nate Corran said:
I am a great lover of Batman, but I do feel he gets WAY over used (and over crapped) because he is the ONLY FUCKING DC character who is both interesting and not a Red and Blue flying deus ex machina.
Batman isn't a deus ex machina? News to me. But I always found every other character associated with Batman (Nightwing, Oracle/Birds of Prey, the Robins, the al-Ghuls, etc.) to be more interesting than Batman himself.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ha so true about the whole Zangief is not a villain debate. Also cool Desthstroke is going to be in that Arrow series? Lastly the day when we had enough of Batman will be the day when we had enough of Spider-man.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I actually wish Django Unchained was coming out before the election, just to see how many stupid white people it scares into voting for Romney. Hell they could at least put it on the day of the Mayan Apocalypse and see if a race war breaks out. JOKING! JOKING!

And hey, maybe Zangief was just Bison's ride that day? But on the other hand he IS gay, so that makes him a villain by default. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
He is not actually gay. In his profile (somewhere, I don't remember where) in his dislikes "young beautiful women" was mentioned. This started the whole controversy, but it didn't mean that he likes men. It meant that he likes more mature,stocky women, like steriotipical "russian working class" female.
Plus, when devs were asked question "is Zangief gay?" they've responded negatively (OK, it was more like "WTF, where did that come from" kind of reply).
But, since he IS former Soviet, now Russian, he is more of a bad guy then a good guy by default.
In fact, I don't remember ANY of the Slavic nationalities being shown in american movies as something better than stupid greedy bastard.
STOP! STOP! Too much rant.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Frostbite3789 said:
Sis said:
Pretty much this.

And as a fan of the EA Sports NHL franchise, I think it's asinine to talk about how much Mario has innovated and then say those games haven't innovated at all. It just comes off as super pretentious.

"Yeah. I grew up with the NES. My franchise of choice is better than YOUR franchise of choice."

Really? My first sports game was Fifa International Soccer. You know, from before they started adding years onto the title. Do you know what my overriding memory of the difference between it and its sequel was? They took out 'crazy ball' mode (or at least I never found it in the sequel).

Go ahead and ask my what differences I remember from Mario 1 and 2, or 2 and 3, or 1 and 3, or ANY Mario game to any other Mario game, because I grew up playing Mario and Sonic and, yes, a fair share of Madden and FIFA as well.

The simple truth is I can comfortably spend longer telling you why EA sports is a waste of time, a waste of money and a fucking insult to gamers everywhere than I can telling you what makes Generic Sports Clone June 2012 worth buying over Generic Sports Clone May 2012. That alone is easily the most damning thing anyone could ever say about a game.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Sis said:
Pretty much this.

Lets see though...

Me: I like platformers, RPGs and beat em ups.

People who only play sports titles/CoD and only those: NOOOOOO THOSE ARE NOT REAL GAMES, YOU HAVE TO PLAY CoD!!!

Me: But CoD isn't for me, I do like other FPS like Serious Sam, Resistance and the like.

Nincompoop: YOU DON'T DESERVE TO PLAY GAMES!!! ONLY MY GAMES SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BE MADE!!!

Don't happen all the time, but its annoying. Plus saying CoD isn't your cup of tea yet you like Mario gets you some vile hate mail, even on here.

MB202 said:
The thing with the Mario side-scrollers and all the "mainstream" Mario games are all pretty much made in-house by Nintendo EAD, Nintendo EAD Tokyo, etc., while the Mario spin-offs are made by different divisions of Nintendo or by straight-up third party developers. Is it really that much of a stretch to ask Nintendo maybe, just made, to add a bit more variety to their own games that they, themselves, make? Like another Super Mario Bros. 2-style game? That would be sweet...

Also, who's the Beholder?
Dungeons and Dragons

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Sis said:
Bob, Mario has never produced anything that interesting in the first place (I'm 32, I was around for the first stuff) But then I think System Shock 2 was the greatest game of all time. Fuck you it totally is.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I think that there can never really be "too much batman" until they start overusing him for ideas the way they did with zombies. Beware the Batman looks like utter crap though.

Django Unchained will probably get 5 minutes on Fox News when it comes out, but that should only make for a funny Youtube video of them acting like idiots...again.

The Zangief thing is totally stupid considering the notion that ZANGIEF IS IN A FREAKING DISNEY MOVIE.

I don't think there would be any negativity towards Mario if Nintendo say, created another original game/franchise. It just seems that Reggie and crew are so caught up in playing the nostalgia dollar that they forgot about what they did 30 years ago: creating new game ideas.