The Big Picture: Leave Michael Bay Alone

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I don't often say this, but Bob, you hit the nail right on the head from start to finish here. It's actually refreshing to see someone just come out and say it's the consumer's fault for the slop it's served up.

These movies would not be made if there was not an audience for it. But hell, if you are entertained, is that not the reason for going in the first place? I don't want to walk out of the theater unhappy or depressed, so when I go to a movie it's going to be something I know I will enjoy seeing. If I want to watch something heavier or more thought provoking, I'll watch it on DVD or Netflix. theaters are made for spectacle. Those big screens and speakers demand it.

Now, if you want to watch an art film or something in the theater, great. But I would rather digest a documentary or art film or something in private so that when I feel the urge to talk, I can. I can't not talk when watching those. And in a theater that's a ticket to Shepard Book's "special Hell."

Caveat, I think Armageddon was the only Bay movie I watched I could admit to liking. Pearl Harbour was flat out awful and I really don't think I watched any other.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Corran006 said:
Darth_Payn said:
That was very mature of Bob to recognize how far he came as a film critic. I love it when he takes pot-shots at other critics for being too harshly critical, as if they have an agenda of their own for writing their opinions in the way they do. Critics aren't just criticizing the movie/video game/novel/[insert creative work here] itself, but they people who made it and the perceived "peons" who buy it.
Then the very next show he bashes Keven Smith.
Yeah, I saw that. Felt more like pointless filler with a side of implied self-loathing.
Getting back to critics and audiences, I think it's not so much actual audiences critics imply are to blame for the kinds of movies that succeed and fail, but their imagined "ideal" audience that exist only in their minds for the purposes of their reviews.

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
I have further thoughts after a week bob and I got to say the more I think about what you said the more insulted I am. There is a reason that critics don't insult their audience. You are also a hypocrite. It's all well and good to call for order and peace after you violently climbed the hill using snarky and angry remarks isn't it? Now that your complacent in your position as a critic you think it justice to blame the audience for Bays sins? Bay is a junk food director. He sells easy cinema to the masses and the masses consume because it is all they are given.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Do4600 said:
Very well put and it surmises my exact feelings on the topic. I would be more cynical and suggest that the video was a an attempt to garner more views (it has) and the change of opinion as a "growing" critic is an easy way to avoid such accusations.

My main issue with Bob these days, is his willingness to flip his initial opinions due to popular opinion. I imagine if he were making another video about Sucker Punch it would be FAR different than his pretty ramshackle "The audience is being played" I would believe that argument if Kubrick made the film. But Zack Snyder is not Kubrick and all the pre film interviews he had about the topic said otherwise. The personal opinion only goes so far.

If he were to stick to his guns I would have more respect for him. But I get this feeling like he is constantly trying to impress, surprise and wow people with knowledge, opinions and personal revelations. He does videos in so many topics. I appreciate an intelligent opinion and variety of discussions. But this eagerness to change to meet his perceived audience is frustrating. I think the Michael Bay video is a culmination of a lot of things bothering about his videos: He loves to put people in boxes. Nerd/geek/jock/standard filmgoer/intelligentsia. I am a movie nerd of the highest degree. I consider it my life's passion. The reason for that is because movies are the ultimate equalizer. They are made by and for everyone. And they belong to everyone. Movies are a point of connection with people. Not seperation. My mother and I have little in common. But she LOVES Firefly. We connect on that. My best friend hates my favorite film. (And I think his are a bit silly) We are still best friends and appreciate each others tastes.

To get back to the video what annoys me is not that Bob has changed his opinion on Bay. Or even that he likes Bay. It's the insulting self serving and divisive way he did it. He didn't say "Hey let's be honest, The Rock had some pretty cool moments" He went on the offensive. "If you like John Woo and hate Bay you are a hypocrite." That is a guy showing total disrespect to his audience. And you, my internet friend expressed it very well (Alongside a lot of other users. WOW! Glad to see I am not alone here)

keserak

Aug 21, 2009
This is the first time (maybe the second) I've seen a comments thread in one of Bob's posts where the first set of comments read easily had a better grasp of the facts than Bob himself did -- perhaps because in the earlier case, the subject matter was more obscure. In any event, the notion that Bay shouldn't be singled out is ridiculous since anyone can have completely legitimate reasons for disliking Bay's work and disliking Bay as a person -- which, while Bob explicitly said he wouldn't do, anyone else could have reason to. Keep in mind that Bay indulges in racists jokes in his movies: that's enough, full stop, to say that that guy is a jackass. If there are other bad directors and screenwriters out there who do not throw out insulting racist stereotypes, one can already make a distinction -- a personal distinction, not just a professional one -- on those grounds alone.

That's sort of the problem with Bay. Much of his professional failings have a lot to do with his personal failings (see also his relationship with female leads). He's a hard man not to dislike.

I think disliking his audience is a bit of projection: I found Bay's work offensive in a screening of Transformers 1, where most of the audience (the people in the theater with me, not the global audience) was similarly unimpressed. I found him disagreeable when reading about him afterwards. As a result, I didn't contemplate his acutal "audience" until film critics brought them up. Film critics may be concerned about his audience; we, an audience, can ignore such concerns and just call him, and his work, terrible.

I don't think that Bob changing his mind is wrong, nor that he's necessarily being contrarian for its own sake. That said, the "he drastically alters established franchises" argument was total crap. Bay is openly hostile to the fans of the franchise he signed up to direct, and is openly hostile to the source material, and he's really goddamn bad at changing said source material for the better, unlike ALL of the examples Bob gave. All of them. This not only undermined his point, it offered an excellent counterpoint: Bay deserves scorn precisely because of this unique combination of poor skill and arrogance. A poster above already debunked a similar problem with the argument that Bay has "peers" in the gratuitious violence department.

And there's a distinction to be made here between the alienated audiences of Bay's films -- those that went to a Bay film, found it terrible, and rejected Bay and his work -- and the media. The media may have illegitimate reasons for disliking Bay, but the general audience does not. We, many moviegoers, hate seeing his shit because it's shit. There are other moviegoers who like his films. Here's the thing, Bob: the moviegoers that despise his films do not have anything to say about those that like them. Those are two separate groups of moviegoers, and neither is commenting about the other in any vastly public way.

The general public hasn't expressed distaste for brainless action flicks: some media outlets have. The two groups should not be conflated: though they have similar feelings about Bay, they have different conclusions and reasons for those conclusions.

If Bob wants to criticize his peers, fine. But the non-Hollywood/media-professionals amongst us have no need to apologize for thinking that Bay's an obnoxious person who often makes terrible movies, because -- news flash -- Bay's an obnoxious person who often makes terrible movies.

I couldn't care less about the media intelligencia's hangups. I'm a "normal" moviegoer and Michael Bay's work and personality are crap.

"We're" the problem, Bob? Like the old joke goes, "What is this 'we' shit, kemosabe?"

trouble_gum

May 8, 2011
RDubayoo said:
And Bob defends Bay with what is essentially cinematic moral equivalence. No, sorry, you don't get it--Bay doesn't just do things that you might see in other movies, he does them BADLY. T
Lono Shrugged said:
He didn't say "Hey let's be honest, The Rock had some pretty cool moments" He went on the offensive. "If you like John Woo and hate Bay you are a hypocrite."
Indeed. If this video had had the message of "Guys, Michael Bay isn't the antichrist, he's just a not very good director of big, dumb action films that are predictably popular with mass audiences. Hate him for making bad movies if you want, but don't hate his movies just because they're made by him," then most people would've nodded, shrugged and agreed or agreed to disagree. And it would probably have gotten a whole let less comments, too.

But, y'know, the reason 'we' give Kubrick or Hitchcock a pass for doing some of those same Bad Things? isn't that we're giant hypocrites or blind to the flaws in these moviemakers the industry has collectively placed on pedestals, it's the majority of their oeuvre are genuinely well-made movies. And because rarely do all of that big ol' list of Bad Things? show up all together in all of their works. Bay on the other, well, apparently cramming all of them into his movies is his "aesthetic."

Is Michael Bay The Problem? No. Is a movie automatically irredeemably bad because he directed it? Nope. Should movie critics stop beating him as a strawman for all the industries ills? They probably should. After all, there's plenty of other equally bad movies out there by directors with similar aesthetics (hi, Paul W. S. Anderson, Uwe Boll). It's definitely time to move on from beating on Bay because it's popular to do so. But none of that should mean we leave him alone for making Bad Movies?.

mrhumble1

Dec 16, 2012
trouble_gum said:
Is Michael Bay The Problem? No. Is a movie automatically irredeemably bad because he directed it? Nope. Should movie critics stop beating him as a strawman for all the industries ills? They probably should. After all, there's plenty of other equally bad movies out there by directors with similar aesthetics (hi, Paul W. S. Anderson, Uwe Boll). It's definitely time to move on from beating on Bay because it's popular to do so. But none of that should mean we leave him alone for making Bad Movies?.
When it comes to the Transformers movies, how is Bay not the problem?? Is it really his right to not give a shit about a very popular property that he has been given control over?? Part of the blame is on the studio for choosing someone who is wrong for the material, but we must hold the director accountable for the end product. Who decided to make a nearly 3-hour movie? Who decided to pander to China?? Who decided on the (STILL) really awful character designs? Who approves a lame script? Who decides to put in a female character just so he can stare at her ass??

Bay has to be held accountable for all that. It's his show, and his mess.

This brings up another point I forgot to mention earlier. Does anyone really think Bay gives even half a shit what the public wants??? He makes movies he wants to make and damn what everybody else thinks. The idea that he makes what people want is ridiculous. He throws little bones to fans just to tease them but he obviously does not make Transformers movies for Transformers fans. Nobody goes to a Transformers movie (or any giant robot/monster movie) to see tits and ass, but Bay gets an ass shot or two in there anyway because that is what HE wants. Nobody cares about f'n Cade Yeager, but Bay wants a Hollywood star in his movies so we have to stare at Marky Mark.

The Avengers proves what kind of magic can happen when a skilled director is given a property he has affection for. Whedon chose an excellent script, brought everything together, and made an amazing movie. This product also made TONS OF MONEY, and there is more to come in future movies. Hollywood must understand they can make a great film and also make tremendous bank if they just take a few minutes to CARE. At least with the Transformers, nobody in Hollywood seems to care at all.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
keserak said:
This is the first time (maybe the second) I've seen a comments thread in one of Bob's posts where the first set of comments read easily had a better grasp of the facts than Bob himself did -- perhaps because in the earlier case, the subject matter was more obscure. In any event, the notion that Bay shouldn't be singled out is ridiculous since anyone can have completely legitimate reasons for disliking Bay's work and disliking Bay as a person -- which, while Bob explicitly said he wouldn't do, anyone else could have reason to. Keep in mind that Bay indulges in racists jokes in his movies: that's enough, full stop, to say that that guy is a jackass. If there are other bad directors and screenwriters out there who do not throw out insulting racist stereotypes, one can already make a distinction -- a personal distinction, not just a professional one -- on those grounds alone.

That's sort of the problem with Bay. Much of his professional failings have a lot to do with his personal failings (see also his relationship with female leads). He's a hard man not to dislike.

I think disliking his audience is a bit of projection: I found Bay's work offensive in a screening of Transformers 1, where most of the audience (the people in the theater with me, not the global audience) was similarly unimpressed. I found him disagreeable when reading about him afterwards. As a result, I didn't contemplate his acutal "audience" until film critics brought them up. Film critics may be concerned about his audience; we, an audience, can ignore such concerns and just call him, and his work, terrible.

I don't think that Bob changing his mind is wrong, nor that he's necessarily being contrarian for its own sake. That said, the "he drastically alters established franchises" argument was total crap. Bay is openly hostile to the fans of the franchise he signed up to direct, and is openly hostile to the source material, and he's really goddamn bad at changing said source material for the better, unlike ALL of the examples Bob gave. All of them. This not only undermined his point, it offered an excellent counterpoint: Bay deserves scorn precisely because of this unique combination of poor skill and arrogance. A poster above already debunked a similar problem with the argument that Bay has "peers" in the gratuitious violence department.

And there's a distinction to be made here between the alienated audiences of Bay's films -- those that went to a Bay film, found it terrible, and rejected Bay and his work -- and the media. The media may have illegitimate reasons for disliking Bay, but the general audience does not. We, many moviegoers, hate seeing his shit because it's shit. There are other moviegoers who like his films. Here's the thing, Bob: the moviegoers that despise his films do not have anything to say about those that like them. Those are two separate groups of moviegoers, and neither is commenting about the other in any vastly public way.

The general public hasn't expressed distaste for brainless action flicks: some media outlets have. The two groups should not be conflated: though they have similar feelings about Bay, they have different conclusions and reasons for those conclusions.

If Bob wants to criticize his peers, fine. But the non-Hollywood/media-professionals amongst us have no need to apologize for thinking that Bay's an obnoxious person who often makes terrible movies, because -- news flash -- Bay's an obnoxious person who often makes terrible movies.

I couldn't care less about the media intelligencia's hangups. I'm a "normal" moviegoer and Michael Bay's work and personality are crap.

"We're" the problem, Bob? Like the old joke goes, "What is this 'we' shit, kemosabe?"
*slow clap*

Well put, good sir.

As much as I love Bob, this is one topic where we have to disagree. I'm not one to call him a defeatist, but he comes off worn the fuck out with these movies. But, to be honest, if I had to watch half of the shit he has to for his job, I'd beg for death's sweet embrace right away. While other online reviews are willing to give TF4 a pass, I've had my fill of Bay and his idiot man-child world long ago. Which is why I never saw Pain And Gain at all. It may be "good" but if I want to see full-on debauchery, I can go rent a copy of The Wolf of Wall Street anytime. At least Scorsese knows how to do something like that properly.

I totally agree with you on your comments on Bay lacking the skills. While Bob mentioned that other filmmakers do the same, there are differences between Bay and other filmmakers like Guillermo del Toro. Guillermo love what he makes, he has a drive for what he makes, and he loves his fans dearly. You can clearly see his passion in movies like Pacific Rim or the Hellboy movies or his earlier works likeThe Devil's Backbone. He takes what he's grown up with, be it his love for monsters or his personal fears, and paints a wonderful picture with it to draw viewers into his bizarre but fascinating world. Does he take liberties with source material, yes. But there is a difference between altering the source for the sake of the story (or, in some cases, the whim of the studio higher-ups) and altering it because you don't give a fuck.

And that is Michael Bay's problem.

He doesn't give a fuck.

He doesn't give a fuck about what he makes is good or bad for cinema.

He doesn't give a fuck about fellow filmmakers or actors.

In fact, he couldn't give 1/8 of a fuck towards his fan base.

Is he better off making R-rated movies like Bad Boys II? Perhaps. But if he doesn't like working on franchises like Transformers, why the fuck did he take them at all?

Because he got paid big for it and continues to get paid big-regardless on whether or not the end result is good or bad.

He only cares about getting paid, one way or another.

And that is what pisses me off the most about Bay and, trust me, he's not alone in this boat. IMO, The Asylum and Tyler Perry are also guilty of this "Don't give a fuck" attitude towards making movies. As long as they get paid for it, be it from who hires them or from a major return from moviegoers, they're happy. It's the cinematic equivalent of getting a trophy just for participation. I like bad movies as much as the next guy, but the contrast between Plan 9 From Outer Space and Sharknado is that the former wasn't intentionally making a bad movie. While Ed Wood may not have been a competent filmmaker, you can't say he didn't put some heart into that film. I doubt you could say the same for the people behind Sharknado but that's how I see it.

Bob should have never apologized to Bay for calling him a "Douche-bag filmmaker". No, I'm not the kind of person that believes in the John Wayne saying "Never apologize, it's a sign of weakness." but, given that I've read the articles on how Bay acts towards others (both his fans and actors), I'm inclined to make an exception. Guessing Bob never read those when making this episode...

As for blaming the masses for liking this shit, the "What is this 'we' shit, kemosabe?" is spot on. Not everyone wants to see this crap but its what Hollywood is making these days. Be honest, do you really think every person in the black community wants to support Tyler Perry's latest piece of shit movie? Fuck no! But that is what Hollywood thinks everyone wants. Humanity may be slow to react, but it does get wise over time. Eventually, hacks like Bay and Perry will be shown the way out. It's gonna take a lot of effort from us and actual filmmakers who do care about what they put on the screen.

The world does not need hack filmmakers.

The world does not need douche-bag filmmakers.

The world does not need filmmakers like Michael Bay.

Zeikier

Dec 21, 2009
Wow I enjoyed this a lot. It was a knockdown dragout analysis with no padding and a very well-paced point. I also adore that you used a shot of Richard P Fungus in this. That was icing.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
Bob had a lot of reason to hate the 4th film. Remember Pacific Rim? #1 Movie of 2013? I'm sure TF4 has got some ideas from there.

Remember the big ship smashing scene? Transformers 4 HAS THREE!
Remember the Japanese actor in that movie? Transformers 4 has Chinese Mando-Pop Stars!
Remember the scientist who said "Numbers are the words of god!". Transformers has one yelling "MATH! ALGORITHMS!"
The main character in TF4 is Cade YAEGER. Where did they pull that name from? He's not a hunter, or Japanese or related to Eren Jaeger.

The comparison of the 2 movies is similar to the comparison between the games Portal and 'Splosion Man.

Personally, I'd let go of my hatred towards Bay when he reboots Transformers without the human drama, racism or product placement or hand over the franchise to someone else.

Its Transformers 4, a continuity of the last 3. Which means the series is still acknowledging Sam as the chosen one and Devastator's balls.

Kuuenbu

Apr 15, 2013
7 pages and not a single Chris Crocker reference. Now that's a record.

Transferring the hatred of public majority onto Michael Bay is understandable. It means that natural selection favors him, not you; certainly an uncomfortable fact to face.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with the underlying message of this episode, absolutely, and I probably wouldn't have put my thoughts together to realise it myself.

That said, the pigs-and-slop analogy came across as unbearably superior; just a step above unironically calling the cinema-goers "proles" or "hoi polloi". I realise it wasn't the intention of Bob to patronise, and that the fact of the matter stands, but it really was a crass choice of analogy.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
I never understood the shitting on of Michael Bay. Sure, most of his movies are thoughtless and uninspiring, but they're entertaining as all hell. Seriously, dumb entertainment can be the best entertainment. If you had a tough week of work, you wouldn't want to go to a movie that made you think, you'd want to relax to a movie that a bunch of awesome explosions.