The Big Picture: Man of Tomorrow

Salieri82

Mar 3, 2010
You should really let your Boston accent come through more often in your voice-overs. You've said before that you trained yourself out of it because it wasn't a 'correct' broadcast voice - but that's what makes it interesting. It adds character and makes you stand out. Can you imagine Yahtzee's reviews being half as popular as they are if he didn't have that cool English/Australian accent?

Anybody can sound like they're from nowhere. You have the chance to let your roots show. Let them.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Red X said:
Who's Making these?! XD

I'm a man of simple taste, I like Google images, and Photoshop CS5, and postimage.com. And you know what they have in common? They're cheap. Well except photoshop.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
I can see Superman killing Zod as a springboard for future sequels. One of the constant themes for Superman is why not become the supreme ruler/dictator (Justice Lord, Injustice, etc). The death of Zod means that any sequel has shown that Superman could actually become that sort of person but his moral code holds him in check.

I think one way to reinforce the idea would be for superman to kill another villain, not one of the big ones like Lex or Darkseid but a more mundane or human one(plenty of villains in the DC universe no one would miss, Toyman anyone?) and show the consequences of that action. Show Superman terrified of becoming a megalomaniac killer like Zod.

Consequently, you could also make his fight scenes against non-superpower humans much more believable since he would be fighting to capture not kill.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
we already have "Mopey dreary Bateman"
It's Nolanverse Bateman.
(The internet is still failing to provide me with Jason Bateman dressed as Batman. That makes me sad.)

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
aba1 said:
I have found that the big issue with a lot of people and this movie is they keep trying to make it exactly the same as the comics. Yes it is superman but it is its own universe with its own rules and different characters who have developed differently. If you wanted a play by play of how it went down in the comics just read the comics the whole point of a re-imagining is that things are different. Superman and Lois Lane don't need to get together or even like each other why... because it isn't the comics and that is ok just you can't go in with too many preconceived notions.
People going in expecting things exactly the way they wanted the way they remember it "in the good ol' days"? Refusing to accept anything new because it might present something unexpected or different? Oh I can't think of any (XCOM reboot) times (Syndicate reboot) when (Halo 4) people (Saints Row 3) acted (GTA 4) like (Wind Waker) that (Metroid Prime).

I'm not even bugged by the whole idea of Superman doing what he's doing. I never really was that big a fan of the original, and while I'm not keen on him going Judge Dredd on anyone, it's Nolan/Synder's vision, so they can do with it what they will. I just hope the next one adds some levity and maybe drops the Lois-Superman romance angle (like aba1 mentioned) instead of them maybe just interacting in a purely platonic manner or maybe even competitively as Lois and Clark at the paper? I'd far prefer them antagonizing one another in a competition than realizing they are each others' "TRUUUE LUUUV".

mrpeepers86

Jun 19, 2013
I am going to have to disagree with the premise of this video entirely. Killing Zod was exactly what this Superman would have done, and it makes total sense for the Superman movies to come. Consider that this Clark Kent was raised by middle American farmers in the 80s and 90s. This was a Jonathan Kent who said "Maybe" when the choice came between revealing Clark and saving a school bus full of kids. This would not have been a man giving his son an iron clad moral code of "Do Not Kill," but more likely a second amendment advocate who believed firmly in "Stand Your Ground" laws, i.e. if someone attacks you on your property, you have the right to respond with deadly force. Superman did just that; he chose Earth as his home, and defended it with lethal force. In so doing, he killed the first member of his own species he ever really knew. This is why he is anguished after the killing; not because he killed, but because he killed the only other Kryptonian left on the planet, making him truly alone just after finding out who he was in the first place.

As for the question of why not kill everyone going forward, this makes perfect sense as well. Superman didn't have a defined moral code going in to this origin story, but imagine a line like this in the next MoS: "The one time I used my power to end a life, it cost me too much, left me too alone in this universe. I'll never do it again." IMHO, that's a much better reason for a person not to kill than some vague "It's a line I won't cross" nonsense. Superman did kill, and he hated what it did to him, so never again.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
Red X said:
Parakeettheprawn said:
it's Nolan/Synder's vision
Not entirely

From Digital Spy:
'Man of Steel' spoilers: Christopher Nolan disagreed with ending - Movies News - Digital Spy [http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a491150/man-of-steel-spoilers-christopher-nolan-disagreed-with-ending.html]

'Man of Steel' spoilers: Christopher Nolan disagreed with ending - Movies News - Digital Spy
Christopher Nolan was initially unhappy with Man of Steel's ending, it has been revealed.

The Dark Knight Rises director, who produced Zack Snyder's Superman reboot, disagreed with the decision to have Henry Cavill's Superman kill General Zod (Michael Shannon).

"In the original version of the script, Zod just got zapped into the Phantom Zone," Snyder told Empire. "But [writer] David [S Goyer], Chris and I had long talks about it, and I said that I really feel like we should kill Zod, and that Superman should kill him.

"The 'Why?' of it for me was that if it was truly an origin story, his aversion to killing is unexplained.

"I wanted to create a scenario where Superman, either he's going to see [Metropolis's citizens] chopped in half, or he's gotta do what he's gotta do."
Hmm, interesting.

But really, as much as it might not be for most people, that explanation makes enough sense to me, TBH. I mean, sure, some things you're averse to from the beginning, but if Superman deals with the fallout of his actions (while still we finally getting some levity), that could allow room for serious character development. If they actually get it right and don't make us endure another Iron Man 2.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
Wait, Superman kills Zod? That's not right. Superman doesn't kill.
That's Green Lantern you're thinking of. Superman's the best at what he does, though what he does isn't very nice.

That's why he runs around with a skull on his chest and enough technology to take down the US government.
Um... isn't that The Punisher? I'm pretty sure it is.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
canadamus_prime said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
That's Green Lantern you're thinking of. Superman's the best at what he does, though what he does isn't very nice.

That's why he runs around with a skull on his chest and enough technology to take down the US government.
It was, in order:

Wolverine, the Punisher, and Iron Man (though the technology bit wasn't very specific). That's assuming you leave out Green Lantern.

It was a pretty nerdy and convoluted statement, though.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
canadamus_prime said:

It was, in order:

Wolverine, the Punisher, and Iron Man (though the technology bit wasn't very specific). That's assuming you leave out Green Lantern.

It was a pretty nerdy and convoluted statement, though.
Ah, well I wasn't too far off. I thought that bit about him being the best there is at what he does sounded like Wolverine, I was thrown off by the 'not very nice' part. Don't recall that part of it.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Superman felt bad about killing Zod? Didn't look like it to me, he's kissing and making jokes with Lois like 30 seconds later. Thought he biggest problem I had in that fight was that neither of them showed any battle damage at any point. Their cloths didn't even get ripped.

Not to mention that the collateral damage of their fights in Small Vile and ESPECIALLY Metropolis had to be massive and Sups didn't seem to give two shits about it. I kept expecting him to draw Zod out of the city to some deserted location DBZ style.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
I think this movie would have worked better in two parts. It really needed an extra 10-15 minutes of buildup for Clark, not Kal-El, and his morals. I'd have loved to have seen an additional 10-15 minutes of acclimatization to the role, or even some buildup scenes for the news reporters to talk about BEFORE Zod shows up.

Having said that, I think the next movie will be more of a return to form that we expect, and am excited to see it. Heck, I can even see Supes' views on killing being affected BECAUSE he killed Zod.

PTSD might be a bit much for the Man of Steel, but I can see him being sensitive to the fears of the people he sees and hears around him (more so b/c he works at a news agency).

Also, while Lois didn't have a lot of ROMANTIC chemistry with Superman, I LOVED her character. True, Lois is sort of crowbarred into the story, sure any romance makes no sense (barring the whole "beefcake saved my life" syndrome).

However, I LIKED her, she wasn't the self-centered annoyance that they constantly turned her into in order to keep her from hooking up with Clark.

As bad as GL was, I am hoping they just mull that over and include him in the JLA movie anyway, even if they have to use a different actor. Hell, they could even make the JLA movie deal with Sinestro and the Yellow Lanterns, it could work. I can already think of a hamfisted way to incorporate the Martians into the equation, seeing as how Hollywood loves to connect EVERYTHING.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
It's not really that difficult to get around. Just play the "does the hero have the right to play judge jury and executioner" card by Luthor and suddenly the doubt is there. Better still, can we actually talk tacticaly and point out Superman's move here was to fly into the bad guys at super speed for most of the fights. An enemy that can out power Superman isn't viable, but one that out thinks him, that works.

jimClassic

Jun 4, 2008
Seriously Bob.....I really look forward to watching your show every week, and I get disappointed when I can't watch Big Picture bc of spoilers.

Mosstromo

Jul 5, 2008
LIKE THE SHOW THIS COMMENT INCLUDES SPOILERS:

Strange, I understood that when he killed Zod, he cried out not because he had murdered, but because he had failed. Failed in all he was meant to succeed: Bridging the two species.
If my memory can be trusted to extrac a detail from all that information and sensorial overload, I think Superman never learns at any moment that he is carrying the genetic sequences of all his race, thus when he kills Zod, he has killed the last of his entire species with him.
Although I also felt the movie lacking in passion, I actually thought (maybe just within my personal misunderstanding of it) that this moment was tremendously tragic for all of what he was meant to represent and be, at least in this particular setting and interpretation of Superman.

No doubt films are art, we all take such different nurishment, feelings and ideas from it.
;)

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
-Snip-
Even when someone looks at Batman, you think, just kill Joker....how many people has Joker killed, gets locked up yet kills again. A normal person would think "you know what, Joker is always going to kill and escape, better off killing him" Joker can not be changed to be a normal member of the public.
-Snip-

I didn't watch this full episode of TBP (I said I wouldn't if Bob continued to let his accent dip in and out of videos), but with this in particular...

Isn't the whole point of these super heroes not killing their foes, even when said murder would save countless lives, uhh I don't know... The point?

As a rational person sure, killing one evil man to save a million innocents makes sense, but these super beings choose the harder path that is above all of it. They wont push aside their morals for the greater good under any circumstances.