The Big Picture: MCU-Tants?

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Deadpool and the Beyonder are playing poker with the Gamesmaster and Tony Stark. Deadpool says "Where I come from, heroes as you call them have been around since the 60s, except we call them mutants and they live in this big house but everyone hates them!" Tony "So they're like the Kardashians. " Deadpool "Exactly, now that I think about it". The Beyonder "What a wonderful idea! Tony, you are in need of some heroes aren't you" *SNAP* Mutants in the MCU.

Then there's the complication of a star-eating bird and a mad titan but these two could cancel each other out.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
CheetoDust said:
Samtemdo8 said:
So no offense, but are we gonna get a different kind of episode that has nothing to do with the MCU, or Superheroes in general?

Becausee I have ComicBookCast2 for that.
Correct me if I'm wrong but of the 2 episodes 1 is explicitly about superhero movies and the other is about blockbusters.
Because the last one still heavily references it, heck the topic was about the fact that the Oscars made a new category of best "Popular" movie just to give Blockbuster movies, particularly Super hero movies, a chance. Concluding that Black Panther should get AT LEAST a Best Picture nomination and if not it will be a massive controversy that hasn't been seen in the Oscars since Dark Knight was snubbed from its Best Picture spot.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
undeadsuitor said:
why introduce mutants now?

Agents of Shield pretty much already has all this covered with the inhuman stuff

just put THAT in an actual movie

I think people are probably wanting to forget about the Inhumans series is the reason why no Inhumans movie.

Well, okay, it was originally meant to be a movie, but some changes were made and it became a TV series. Then Scott Buck was showrunner, it got released and people didn't like it. Got cancelled and forgotten after 1 season with 8 episodes. No idea what they'll do with them. Probably keep Inhumans on a downplay or put them back on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Personally I've always liked X-Men more on its own rather than together with the rest of the Marvel universe. Yeah, some of the different members teaming up with Spider-Man or other characters is fine, but the team altogether with the rest really felt off.

Especially with modern comics.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Here's an actually good video on why most expanded universes fail.

Plus, modern comics are a trash medium written by trash writers. That affects what people want to do when adapting them.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Possible explanation: some form of psychic device (possibly part of cerebro) that stops folks noticing mutants has been set up to prevent discrimination.

Preferred explanation: handwaved away by the villain Mojo in the film Deadpool VS She-hulk: Good Bye Fourth Wall as he explains this is happening just so he can absorb the power of the ratings of the film that introduces Deadpool into the MCU.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Since Bob said he's thought of how to introduce the X-Men and other Mutants into the MCU, here's where he did it:
https://moviebobcentral.com/2015/07/26/pitch-me-mr-b-marvels-x-men/

Natemans said:
undeadsuitor said:
why introduce mutants now?

Agents of Shield pretty much already has all this covered with the inhuman stuff

just put THAT in an actual movie

I think people are probably wanting to forget about the Inhumans series is the reason why no Inhumans movie.

Well, okay, it was originally meant to be a movie, but some changes were made and it became a TV series. Then Scott Buck was showrunner, it got released and people didn't like it. Got cancelled and forgotten after 1 season with 8 episodes. No idea what they'll do with them. Probably keep Inhumans on a downplay or put them back on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Yeah, INHUMANS turned into a dud. Bob's theory would have to be amended for them. TBH, I found the Inhuman Royal Family too snobbish and uppity to expect to be front and center. They were better used as supporting characters in someone else's story. Hell, when the Inhumans fought the X-Men, I supported the latter. Despite being lead by Magneto and Emma Frost at the time.

Natemans said:
Personally I've always liked X-Men more on its own rather than together with the rest of the Marvel universe. Yeah, some of the different members teaming up with Spider-Man or other characters is fine, but the team altogether with the rest really felt off.

Especially with modern comics.
What annoys me about how the X-Men are treated in the comics universe is that they're stuck in their own corner, not getting to interact with the other teams all that much, as if they're segegOH MY GOD! They are being segregated and marginalized! By their own publisher!

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
vallorn said:
Plus, modern comics are a trash medium written by trash writers. That affects what people want to do when adapting them.
You think? I think a lot of comics this era have been great. Image don't seem like they can make anything but gold for the last few years.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think it's way overdue for us to stop thinking the TV shows will actually be a part of the MCU when the connections only happen one way when they happen at all. It's kind of fun to pretend that they add to the convolusion of the MCU but after the way Infinity War went down and none of the Defenders got even a name drop, or the aftermath seeming to affect the Netflix shows, any hope for a connection is gone.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
MrGalactus said:
vallorn said:
You think? I think a lot of comics this era have been great. Image don't seem like they can make anything but gold for the last few years.
Image have been a mixed bag, hell even some of 2000AD's usual great output has suffered. But Marvel, and to a lesser extent DC have had a slew of short lived, terrible quality runs in recent years. Hell, Marvel are selling less issues now than they were during the comics recession in the 90s.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Or possibly just do what they already did with Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch. "Hey, look: here's super-powered people." Way easier to pick and choose characters and plot arcs a'la carte than to tie them all into the Xavier School/Brotherhood of Mutants rigmarole. Trying to convince the audience that these institutions/organizations are suddenly really important when the Avengers are off battling universe-level threats isn't just a losing battle, it's effectively competing with yourself even if you somehow manage to succeed.

And no one has to even pretend that any of these guys exist.

And maybe tell your writers they don't have to do the find-and-replace for the word "mutant" any more.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Over thinking it? Isn't that some nerds love doing? But I can see Bob's point. Maybe sometime low-key is the best way to go.

The problem with superhero universes is that they tend to get... complicated. With superheroes and magic and aliens and gods and... you see what I mean? It kinda gets overwhelming...