The Big Picture: MovieBob's Junk Drawer

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
Crazy_Dude said:
Tempest13 said:
Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought of this when he mentioned dolphins

Thank you sir I just found a new Avatar.

Dolphins are evil but you said nothing about Narwhals! I am pretty sure they dont have their own killer movie.

<youtube=ykwqXuMPsoc>
The first image is from Doctor McNinja. Great stuff: http://drmcninja.com/newreaders.php

As for the video. Yikes. They are right about the balls though.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
I already knew that dolphins are quite the assholes (starve and rape the females, kill things for fun) but I love the whole "dolphins are the Jokers of the ocean". I'm going to be using that from now on.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
This was definitely fun, Bob. Figure I'd better weigh in on these as well...

Trump for Pres: This won't be the first time a celeb ran for office and it won't be the last...but yeah, this raises a red flag for me as well. At least when Ahnold ran for governor of California during that recall election, it actually made sense since a good portion of the people who work and live in Cali actually have some sort of connection to the movie industry. So...in a sense, Ahnold was in fact a representation of a portion of that state and could, in fact, represent the state. Trump...not so much. Sure, seeing a man known for being a major capitalist running for a seat wherein he runs a capitalist country seems logical at first. BUT...considering the fact he kinda had a downturn in his fortune a while back, and this was LONG before Dubya ruined the economy altogether, I'm not sure I'd like him in a position suggesting how to balance the budget.

Nintendo's new console: Yes...they will reboot several franchises, but then this was a given. I'll be reserving judgement on the console until I actually see it.

Taco Bell's Dorito Tacos: Show of hands...who here sees attempt at making more money with a (pardon the pun) cheesy gimmick?

Simpsons: The reason, as I see, that the Simpsons are still funny and will continue to be funny is because they stay current. Matt Groening (I just KNOW I spelled that wrong) has a knack for taking any current event or topic and putting his own spin on it without a lot reliance on repetitive jokes.

PSP: Good on you for calling Sony out on that. Especially liked the fact you compared the guy for pretty much acting childish and then calling the DS a childish system. Personally, I don't have a PSP because, to be honest, the game library does NOT impress me.

John Chu directing...oh GOD no: Let's face it...the G.I.Joe movie doesn't need a sequal. If anyone wants to try a live action G.I.Joe, first thing is to make it LOOK like a G.I.Joe movie, and not some generic action movie with the name tacked on.

Evil brilliance: Agreed...espcially since we can take down the bad guy and use the tech for better use.

Transformers 2 script: I agree...that was no excuse. Mind you, I DID like the first movie, but a hackneyed script for the second because you couldn't find a guy to write one is a pretty weak excuse.

90's: I wouldn't say the 90s sucked, per se. Although...not a lot of exciting crap happened during that time until the internet came into fruition.

Dolphins: Ye...orcas are related to dolphins, so that's pretty close. Though it would be a trip to see an actual dolphin in such a role. I'd go see it.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Dolphins saved humans out on the ocean from sharks several times. Completely *wild* dolphins. And people like them, whilst they already are scared of sharks (and rightfully so, as those sometimes take a teeny weeny one-two or even three foot test bite out of humans).

And remember that WW II ship drame where tons of American marines where eaten by sharks that they talk about in Jaws I? True story, Bob... So yeah, no dolphins are bad movies, but sharks can play the bad guy just fine. Cause they're bad.

Besides, wasn't there a Peter Benchly series about the American government making a human-shark-dolphin clone monster that actually walked up on land and bit people in half?
Pretty sure it was "The Beast". So you could say that there already was at least one thing on screen with an evil dolphin(-shark-man)...

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
I know Bob's feelings on the 90s are personal opinion, but for a good many people, the 90s were great.

In terms of things adults care about:
-There's the fact that we were in between the Cold War and The War On Terror (there was the Gulf War, Kosovo, etc, but those didn't stick in the public consciousness to the same degree).
-There was the economic bubble we rode for the entire decade.
-The rise of cable TV, and the Internet.

Plus for things that kids and teenagers were exposed to:
-The rise into the mainstream of several big musical genres: grunge, rap, techno.
-In general, 90s pop is more "timeless" than pop from any decade since the 60s.
-Video games went from toys to an acceptable medium for storytelling.
-Great, high-budget cartoons being produced for TV, both on Saturday Morning for the major networks, as well as for Nickelodeon.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
HankMan said:
The Joker of the Sea?
I'm not sure weather that ruined dolphins for me, or made made them that much more awesome.
Ditto.

Aldo, I'm with you in the '90s camp Bob... right there with you.

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
crudus said:
Yeah, I say the 2000s sucked for the very same reason.

HankMan said:
The Joker of the Sea?
I'm not sure weather that ruined dolphins for me, or made made them that much more awesome.
Yeah, they kill things for fun. They are assholes.
I recall seeing something where a dolphin ended up raping something to death... it's been a while, though.

UNHchabo

Dec 24, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
And remember that WW II ship drame where tons of American marines where eaten by sharks that they talk about in Jaws I?
You're thinking of the USS Indianapolis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Indianapolis_%28CA-35%29

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Littaly said:
So, what you're basically saying is Nintendo is going to do with their next console exactly what they've done this generation and the response and results of it is going to be a rerun of what we've seen the last couple of years?

Are you kidding? Or would you at least care to elaborate on why you think this is so certain? I mean, I agree that speculation at this point is largely useless, but how is this a logical conclusion without any refute?
Because they have something called a track record. They did the same when the SNES came out, when the N64 came out, and they did the SAME EXACT thing with the Wii. Granted they could be brilliant evil masterminds and do something completely new and fresh but that apparently takes too much work.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I'll agree on the Evil Brilliance > Dumb Goodness thing. Because a person is evil doesn't mean their existence won't be beneficial to you or the world in general. For example, if Lex Luthor was going to run the world you KNOW he would run it efficiently.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
You're right, that was fun. And, if I used a few additional program windows to hide the intrusive ad surrouding the video, it was easier to focus on. Perhaps I do want my pub club sub back after all....:p

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I must admit, I was really, really hoping he'd touch on the Mortal Kombat reboot webseries. I'd be really interested as to what he has to say about that.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
Mantonio said:
I'll agree on the Evil Brilliance > Dumb Goodness thing. Because a person is evil doesn't mean their existence won't be beneficial to you or the world in general. For example, if Lex Luthor was going to run the world you KNOW he would run it efficiently.
Right up to the point where he would fire you just to prove he can mess with your head. Me I'm glad there are more then just those two options for the world. Oh and dolphins are evil pure dang-nasty evil!