The Big Picture: MovieBob's Worst of 2013

Jan 12, 2012
RE Carrie: "I wish this movie were more bland and took fewer chances" is actually something a lot of people say, though not in those words. It's usually directed at "art" movies and other films that put on airs or are otherwise considered pretentious. I wouldn't put the original Carrie in that group, but the statement itself was just wrong.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
I loved Man of Steel, I loved Star Trek: Into Darkness. Chances are I'd probably enjoy most of the movies on this list since it's becoming rapidly apparent that Bob's opinions are the polar opposite of my own. In other words, if he says something is good, it's usually trash and the things he hates are usually fun.

I've been watching a lot of Mark Kermode's reviews lately. Now there's a film critic.

longjones

Jun 15, 2011
this list is missing "Pacific Rim" with its dialogs for 3 year olds. Man I didn't like that movie so much just because of dialogs.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
longjones said:
this list is missing "Pacific Rim" with its dialogs for 3 year olds. Man I didn't like that movie so much just because of dialogs.
Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. (Seriously though, go make your own Top 10 list if you feel that strongly about it.)

OT: Can't really say much since I didn't see most of the movies on this list. Surprised Now You See Me wasn't on it, but then again, I actually liked that movie, so.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
100% agree with MoS. Great mindless action film but terrible Superman film. For the amount of damage done by the Kryptonians, Superman really didn't save anyone. Lois, those guys on the oil rig, the one soldier, and Elliot Stabler. The big criticism of Superman Returns was that it lacked action so what do they do? They Nolan up Superman by muting all color, make him an even bigger mute, and throw in a shit load of explosions. At least the previous Superman gave a damn about people. The new Superman snaps necks (you're telling me he could cover Zod's eyes or knock him into orbit like he did the last 10 minutes???) and destroys government property. This Superman glides over a truck filled with gas and lets it smash yet another building.

I only watched the movie once and have no desire to see MoS2 aka Nolan and Snyder ruin the Justice League.

The only good news is at least it's not The Amazing Spider Man....

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I guess I'm the only one that genuinely liked Man of Steel? Huh. Whatever, opinions are like ass holes. Everyone's got one.

Jacco

May 1, 2011
I am so frigging tired of people saying The Purge has such an original and fresh premise. It does not. The moment I saw the trailers, I thought Hunger Games. Then Sitting through the movie, I kept thinking Hunger Games. Almost every plot point and backstory point that movie has is ripped straight out of THG and given an "adult" make over.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
longjones said:
Which blockbuster have you watched that actually had non offensively retarded dialogue? I'm pretty sure the last one I watched was Alien, and that's only because the dialogue consists of idle chit chat in the first half of the movie and screaming in the second half. I mean, ok, Terminator 2 had some pretty good moments but overall it was cheesy as fuck (still awesome, but not what anyone would call class A writing). After 3 decades, maybe we should stop expecting that out of that kind of a movie.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
For me, Man of Steel wasn't a bad movie. I actually kinda enjoyed it. It was just too much spectacle and not enough substance. Marvel's comic book movies have this nice lull at the beginning before all of the mind-blowing action happens. Man of Steel had none of that. Pretty much the whole movie was "Crash! Explosion! Eruption! Building collapse! Light-speed punch through 5 buildings!" Not to mention how at certain points in the film he didn't use a power until there was that callback to when he first got the ability as a child. What is this, Metroid: Other M? If all the character-building scenes were moved to the start of the film instead of being randomly dispersed throughout, then it would not have been so bad. Sometimes less really is more, which many movies often forget. Take Zero Dark Thirty. In that movie very little action actually takes place, so when it does happen, the impact is so much greater.

Raesvelg

Oct 22, 2008
I've long since come to the opinion that Bob's hatred for Man of Steel (and to an extent his hatred for The Amazing Spider-Man film, discounting his disturbing love for the mediocre at best Sam Raimi) revolves largely around the fact that it didn't mesh with his vision of what a superhero movie should be.

A vision that is, to be honest, somewhat mired in the history of comics.

The Marvel series have been largely upbeat, colorful films, with vibrant palettes and "witty" dialogue.

Now, from the perspective of DC... they tried that. When they handed the reins of the Batman franchise over to Joel Schumacher, and the horrid disaster that ensued. Now, when they went for the gritty realism route, with the inherently depressing Nolan trilogy, they had fantastic success, managing to rescue a franchise that seemed somewhat doomed at that point.

Part of that is that Schumacher went totally over the top, echoing more of the Batman TV show than anything else, but it's important to note that despite Bob's rosy-tinted glasses view of the golden age of comics, there were extended periods of the run of Batman where it was vastly closer to the TV show than it was to the far darker Batman of today.

I mean really: That iconic giant penny in the Batcave? A souvenir of his battles with The Penny Plunderer. Who committed penny-based crimes. Seriously.

Marvel has had it easy in some ways. Yes, the films are all very evocative of the comic book origins of the material, but to be fair Marvel always specialized in more human characters than DC, which gave the film teams significantly more to work with.

I agree that Man of Steel wasn't in line with the classic image of Superman as some sort of sans peur et sans reproche avatar of all that is good in the world. But that didn't bother me nearly as much as it apparently bothered Bob; in part because I tend to view a more modern take of classic characters as a positive thing, within limits.

The sticking point for a lot of people who disliked the portrayal of Superman in Man of Steel was how he dealt with Zod. Bear in mind that the comics had him reaching the same basic solution for something like twenty years as canon before rewriting it for the umpteenth time.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
I think I'm the only one who liked the new Star Trek movie. The only part that I thought was a let down was having Khan be the villain. We know that he's going to be defeated so it didn't hold any real suspense for me. Other than that I thought it was pretty fun. I promise not to tell anyone outside of the escapist though, since you guys clearly don't want another one made.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
ClockworkPenguin said:
I'm surprised World War Z didn't make the list. Arguably it was one of the 'obvious' travesties, but given the source material, it is far and away the biggest disappointment of the year. There have been bad superman films before, and will be again, it's not a big deal. But WWZ had the opportunity to do something interesting with zombies and breath some life into the genre, and they just didn't.
YES

In terms of lost potential World War Z beats out Man of Steel by a mile.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Honestly, the Star Trek movie franchise was never as good as the trekkies like to pretend. It had two good movies, one you can call good if you're into that sort of thing, one half-decent movie and six movies that ranged from utter shit to barely competent.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
JUMBO PALACE said:
I guess I'm the only one that genuinely liked Man of Steel? Huh. Whatever, opinions are like ass holes. Everyone's got one.
Nah, you're not alone. I liked it, felt it was a good starting point for him developing his no kill rule and all sorts of other stuff. But I can understand why others don't like it.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
A really good list actually. I loved the old superman movies, even the goofy ones, but Superman Returns kind of killed all that for me, and Man of Steel just made me angry. Johnathan Kent was terrible, and Zod was absolutely stupid.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
RJ Dalton said:
Honestly, the Star Trek movie franchise was never as good as the trekkies like to pretend. It had two good movies, one you can call good if you're into that sort of thing, one half-decent movie and six movies that ranged from utter shit to barely competent.
I don't think trek movies have particularly good reputation among tekkies. The Voyage Home and The Wrath of Khan are the only films that seem to get regularly praised and the rest of the movies are much more divisive.

I personally thought the new Trek movie was ok. Nothing spectacular but not horrible either. Then again, I didn't have that high expectations, since J.J. Abrams is J.J. Abrams.

EDIT: Actually, The Undiscovered Country also gets praised pretty regularly, so there's three trek films that seem to get love consistently.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Haha, this list was so predictable, and the entire lead up to the actual movie list was a bit statement saying, "yes, Man of Steel is on this list". I have to appreciate that he didn't go with the objectively bad list that everyone else is doing. I just... he puts so much time into disliking Man of Steel, it borders on ridiculous, but then it is his time. Good list though, it's was not very likely that anyone was going to agree with everything.