WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Piorn said:
This video made me realize why we can have so many gender issues, while nobody is actually "sexist".
I think that is something that flies over too many heads sometimes, that pointing out something has unfortunate implications is generally not an attack and saying the person who created it is malicious, just hasn't really thought things through, or rested on old ways or assumptions. (IE, conscious vs unconscious)

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
Well the anthropologist with an interest in Sex & Gender roles definitely approved this one. You even managed to use "Sex" and "Gender" (not equal terms) correctly from what I noticed. Props.

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
Yal said:
MB202 said:
I almost thought he was going to get into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for a moment there, since it ties into the fact that Lauren Faust created that show with the intent of showing that something "girly" doesn't automatically make it bad.
Funnily enough, it was Powerpuff Girls where I first noticed this problem. Remember this guy?

Even back in the 90s, that one was blatant enough to rub me the wrong way.
To PPG's defense their villains were wide and varied. The Rowdyruff Boys, The Ganggreen Gang, and Fuzzy Lumpkins could all be considered "masculine."
But with that being said, Him is a very good example of what Bob is talking about.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
Sejborg said:
But I guess that don't fit in to Bob's analysis.
Except, it does. Completely and utterly. Swords, spears, guns, various dick extenders, has been part of traditional male power fantasies, and depictions thereof, since forever.

grumpymooselion

May 5, 2011
I have to agree with this one.

Pink isn't bad. Pink is a color. There are men that like pink, would want to wear pink and only don't because of how society views the color and may react to them. Not just gay men. Gay men may, or may not, like pink. The same goes for bisexual men. However, a perfectly straight man can like pink. It's not a bad color. It's, as Bob said, what's done with the color that's the issue.

Personally I've always been a bit sad when I go into a clothing store, and look at men's clothing. When I was younger, as a male, I had better options. I chose alternative styles of clothing because they were simply more visually interesting to me, than the norm. I got labelled all sorts of things from goth to a much more offensive word for gay and so on. Back then I could pull these things off, I was just a pretty little thing back then. I could get away with wearing a lot of things then that the grown man I am today can't on two levels, one being I'm just older and not very pretty anymore but the other is . . . well . . . I have to live. I have to work. There are locations I could work in clothing like that, if I could still look good in it, but they're rare, far and few between, and, more importantly, don't tend to pay as well unless I'm a rock star.

I'm not a rock star.

Must I do find the clothes I have to wear, day to day, as a male, quite boring. Women's clothes, I'd never want to wear, because they simply aren't made with someone of my body type in mind, but I acknowledge on a visual level that they are just more visually interesting and varied. I'm a fairly conservative person, really, even when I was a kid I was, I'm not hugely liberal on many points. I am, however, very much into customization. Of all things. From characters in my video games, to myself and to my clothes. I like to fiddle. I get bored easily.

Society finding the entire pallet acceptable for people of both genders, to me, isn't about gender roles. I get that's an issue, and do think we should move past it, but for me, personally, it's just about having more options. I like choice. I like options.

I think that's what society needs more of for everyone. Choice. Options. Customization of your body, clothing, sexual preferences, lifestyle and so on, and so forth, to whatever you like, be in a choice or something that was there all along.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Just to expand a bit on the point you made about "girls who like girly things are criticised for it": I'm sick and tired of parents complaining that their daughters like Barbie dolls and pink stuff. If people really want girls to be able to choose what they want to like, there should be just as much freedom to like 'girly stuff' as there is to like 'boy stuff'.

One of my favourite examples of this is (again, briefly mentioned by you Bob), the success of LEGO Friends. I remember the initial backlash against the theme's reveal "This is so sexist", "LEGO is gender neutral" etc. etc. So, how did it go? Well, according to LEGO's 2012 financial report, even doubling the initial production run wasn't enough to fully meet the demand for the sets [http://aboutus.lego.com/en-gb/news-room/2013/february/annual-result-2012?CMP=TWC-CO2012Annualresult2012]. Surprise surprise, it seems some girls actually want 'feminine' LEGO. Yes, LEGO is a gender neutral product, and nothing is stopping girls from buying other LEGO themes. But not every girl wants to play with construction vehicles and police stations, and that's OK! It's just as OK for girls to want and enjoy the 'pink LEGO' as it is for them to enjoy any other LEGO.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
We segregate lots of things by gender; why not toys? I'm not saying they should, but that it is no real harm. Hygenic products are segregated, clothes, perfumes/ colognes, sports, games, movies, TV shows ... I could go on. What I'm seeing nowadays in the imposed breaking down of binary oppositions for no reason other than its own sake.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Most of the traits that are associated with femininity are actually negative, that's the problem. Overly emotionally rather than logical, appearance obsessed, naive, materialistic, vain, weak, incapable and worst of all passive. ?Feminine power? is usually portrayed as being manipulative to get other people to do shit rather than just doing it which is still negative or tied in with magic which doesn't exist. Nurturing and caring are good traits often associated with women and they aren't usually portrayed as negative thing.
I don't like the typical princess in distress not because they are feminine but because they are leaches and not a role anyone should aspire to be. Social construct, biological or choice. I don't care. Female heros are going to end up being more typically ?masculine? because otherwise they wouldn't be heros.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
CymbaIine said:
Therumancer said:
A lot of factual inaccuracy in your post. "Environmentalism" (odd term) hasn't taken a huge beating, it's gone back and forth over time. Currently most scientists and psychologists take a pluralistic approach rather than straight nature/nurture.

An example-

This is from this week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25198063

It's about how male and female brains are literally "wired" differently. At the end is a nice little quote from a professor of neuroscience Oxford Uni.

"We know that there is no such thing as 'hard wiring' when it comes to brain connections. Connections can change throughout life, in response to experience and learning."
Not at all, I used environmentalism as a term since it's a subset of behaviorism that posits environment is the primary cause of human psychological development and evolution. It goes a little further than behaviorism and is in many cases used to reinforce racism, the basic argument being that the environment in which white people evolved ultimately lead to a stronger, smarter, and more capable group of people than developed in other parts of the world, something which cannot be undone or changed over a period of time. The early "boost" human civilizations received due to conditions around the fertile crescent having in a lot of cases lead to a somewhat "softer" less intelligent and capable breed of humanity in the form of a lot of the darker skinned folks, who hit a peak, but then were rapidly overwhelmed by the same people they themselves once oppressed who in turn created most of the modern civilization. The basic argument turning into one where you might be able to argue in terms of genetics that there are no differences between humans, but psychologically and in term of mental function there is a huge, evolved, difference. Needless to say it amounts to a lot of bunk, you don't see a lot about it recently. On a lot of levels though this is similar to the kind of argument that Bob is making, that women are being conditioned into certain roles by society and conditions, and that without those conditions they would be well... just like men. That's not true, as your looking at an intrinsic, difference. Not that they are inferior, in any mental sense, but that they are wired with some very different sets of instincts, and instinctive likes and dislikes. Like other animals human men and women are intended to fill different roles, and our entire makeup of chemicals, electricity, etc... reinforces this. Sometimes exceptions occur like we also see with animals, but for the most part women are intended to be more docile, domestic, and nurturing, while men are the aggressive, and practical ones. The two different outlooks intended to work together since we are already unified as a species we already need each other to survive. If some girl winds up being a tomboy, or a guy winds up being more passive and introspective, so be it, that's no huge deal, but that kind of thing represents an exception, not the rule, and it's not something that can ever truly be made the rule as much as some people might want to, nor would it really be a good idea to do so as humanity benefits from both perspectives. What's more if the civilization that allows introspective analysis of such things and people to question it "morally" was ever to collapse, we would be in real trouble since we're looking at the instincts and tendencies that allowed us to survive, thrive, and eventually totally dominate our environment.

As far as hardwiring goes, I'm using the term more generally than that article is. That article is generally talking about electronic pathways in the brain for the most part, as opposed to instincts and such intristic to humanity. Yes, people's electronic paths change, as is necessary given the nature of the brain. As parts of the brain die and don't get replaced by new cells, the electrical impulses are forced to reroute. At the end of the day we don't know a whole lot about the specific function of the brain (and likely couldn't find out without a whole new age of Mengela-like experimentation). After all in some cases people can have a metal rod stuck through the brain and be pretty much fine afterwards (rare), but in others even a slight amount of trauma can cause a variety of disorders. Then of course we've got the whole concept of "Electroshock Therapy" which remains controversial to this day.

At any rate, understand that most psychologists and psychiatrists taking a pluralistic approach is exactly my point. Bob's entire argument is one that this phenomena is 100% caused by society forcing specific roles and attitudes onto girls, a sort of paternalistic brainwashing. He's saying "change the environment, and what you tell girls is normal,
and you will change the girls" that's not true, and represents pure, unfiltered, behaviorist thinking, bordering on environmentalist if he wants to take the argument to the point of saying girls have been turned into this simply because of generations of male dominated society. After all once you start saying that, then since it's a universal truth, it by extension applies to everyone, and then we're rapidly entering into racism territory since what applies to men and women also then applies to humanity in general, and you arrive at the simple point where you have no choice but to argue that those at the top of the socio-political food chain culturally have simply become better than those who were ultimately gimped by their environment. I'd personally find it amusing to see Bob ever say that given his general politics, and really I think it's one of those cases where he's so intent to rail against what he thinks are injustices in the social order, that he really doesn't think things through, or consider that any argument he makes on something like this can wind up shooting his overall position in the foot when it's simply applied to something else.... Of course this isn't a problem unique to him, and it's typically why we oftentimes see the amusing situation where the least racist or bigoted person in a room is oftentimes considered the biggest bigot by people who are actually far more racist without realizing the ramifications of what they are saying.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
These "feminine" children's products seem to be mostly about decoration, which is a much more passive - yet important - leisure activity than racing - for lack of a better comparison. Some idolize nurturing and other housework, which are more passive - yet still important, don't get me wrong - job than construction, demolition, or other public services.

The average male is stronger than the average female, from what I've heard, but such different ideals in play and work do not cater to outliers from these norms.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I love when Bob talks about gender issues. I'm strongly in favor of ending the messaging (subliminal or otherwise) that some toys are for boys and some are for girls. That said, I completely agree that simply having pink or feminine toys or products is not the problem. I'm an outspoken feminist but one of the issues I have with the current wave of the feminist movement (one of many, really) is that it largely demonizes femininity and associates it with weakness

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
lazinesslord said:
Yal said:
MB202 said:
I almost thought he was going to get into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic for a moment there, since it ties into the fact that Lauren Faust created that show with the intent of showing that something "girly" doesn't automatically make it bad.
Funnily enough, it was Powerpuff Girls where I first noticed this problem. Remember this guy?

To PPG's defense their villains were wide and varied. The Rowdyruff Boys, The Ganggreen Gang, and Fuzzy Lumpkins could all be considered "masculine."
But with that being said, Him is a very good example of what Bob is talking about.
A defense isn't even necessary. At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with having an effeminate, homosexual, and/or crossdressing bad guy. One of the biggest problems with liberalism is that it tends to lead to outcries that turn into an effort to declare certain groups into sacred cows where you can't say, do, or use them in any kind of bad, or antagonistic role at all. One of the reasons why I inherently oppose 99% of this stuff, because even when there is a legitimate point, in many cases acknowledging it is going to do 100x more damage than was being done by what it was intended to address.

At the end of the day that particular bad guy is ridiculous, he makes you laugh, that's the sum total of the point (and arguably the point of "Powerpuff Girls" to begin with). If your offended by it, change the channel.

To me it's almost like the "so offensive, it's hilarious" animated "Black Panther" cartoon they did for BET. It oozed so much anti-white racism and anti-Americanism that it was almost funny, along with making an eye rolling mockery out of some of Marvel's best creations. This is coming from someone who actually LIKES The Black Panther (at least as he is usually presented in the comics, not some of the attempts nowadays to change the character for political reasons, oftentimes coming across like he might belong in the actual Black Panther organization). I mean we're talking about defeating Juggernaut with knockout gas (nobody tell The X-men it's that easy!), turning The Ebony Blade wielding version of the Black Knight into a villain for who knows what reason just so they could define him as a religious zealot, having Klaw run around as a cyborg as opposed to a being of pure sound, and turning a Captain America Vs. Black Panther fight (one of those classic comic match ups that is typically epic, and can go either way) into a comedy routine. The intro music was okay though, and I give T'challa a lot of credit as his introduction was him pretty much clobbering The Fantastic Four at the height of their popularity... at any rate the point is that they apparently got the license, so they had the "right" to do it, I'm not going to make a statement about it being some kind of huge affront to society and a group of people and worthy of special attention for that reason. As a general rule things like this tend to be so hilariously bad that they wind up being more or less forgotten.... I mean very few people even realize there WAS a "Black Panther" cartoon show. :)

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Yal said:
MB202 said:

I remember HIM quite clearly. I'd be inclined to agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that 2/3 of the protagonists of the Powerpuff Girls were very feminine themselves. And the fact that while HIM was considered the most despicable of the villains in PPG, Mojo Jojo who was very masculine was probably the most dangerous and caused the most mayhem and destruction throughout the series than any other villain.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
When he's right, he's right. This is a perfect video for the reason that it points out that it's OK if girls are into things that are considered... essentially "girly". They aren't holding back other women, they don't have anything wrong with them, and they aren't broken in some way. That is my one problem with extreme feminism, the whole "if you're not with us, you're against us" mentality of it.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I hope we can get over the Frilly Bad, Macho Good thing soon. How refreshing would it be to see a not-flaming transsexual man be the hero in an action movie?

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
spoonybard.hahs said:
Therumancer said:
Interesting, well thought out, but ultimately wrong because it's based under a flawed premise. The entire argument is based around the behaviorist school of psychology that has largely been disproven, that posits that people are entirely influenced by their environment and what they are taught. That's really not true.
Can you please provide a source?
On what? That most psychologist and psychiatrists follow a discipline that combines elements of all three major theories of the "fathers of psychology" as opposed to making arguments based entirely on one theory of psychological development? I suppose I could, but at the end of the day this is one of those cases where I'm going to say "do your own research" as someone else responding to me managed to more or less hit what I was talking about.

The point here is that Bob is making an argument entirely based on Behaviorism, saying that the environment we have created is responsible for the behavior of girls, and change the environment and they will change entirely, something which has come to be seen as fairly absurd in of itself. Environment can however be a factor that contributes to certain things. Basically if you don't want to do the research an easy way to make the point is that your probably going to be unable to find a pure behaviorist, or any credited psychological program that will say that it presents this as the do all and end all of human behavior, even in their recruiting material.

I'll also say that asking for sources on things like this really doesn't help any kind of case you might be out to make. Especially seeing as you can just do a search for things like oh say "Behaviorism Debunked" or "Behaviorism criticisms" as well and get tons of articles. ESPECIALLY seeing as behaviorism (and in many cases Environmentalism) is
a hot topic for Christians since it's an easy avenue to attack evolution, the typical Christian angle being that if they can use science and other research to blow holes in it, they can turn around and then use that point to make arguments against the evolution of animals, humans, and other things. It can get pretty warped in how it's used but the basic points tend to be fairly solid before they do a triple backflip off the deep end.

EDIT: Towards the end I relented and did some research for you. But I was informed I borked the last paragraph I wrote turning around which side the link was on and which side the argument it was addressing was on despite me knowing the difference... but most importantly it was pointed out that it undermines the rest of my post to even do that much. That said with a few search words like "behaviorism debunked" and "crticisms of behaviorism" along with the bits I said above you can find plenty. Including things on Youtube like "how women evolved to shop" (part of Skepticon) and criticisms there of. There are even sites like "The Last Behaviorist" which exist to discuss and try and defend behaviorism under circumstances where it's not exactly well received on it's own. Including making arguments about the misuse of the term "Skinner Box" in relation to MMOs, and even having directly addressed an old bit by "Extra Credits" at one time.

sweetylnumb

Sep 4, 2011
Makabriel said:
I have no problem with girls playing with boy toys and vice-versa. But there is nothing wrong with "coding" a female or male marketed toy to a certain set of colors. It's years of cultural evolution that really is harming no one.

No, you mean it's not harming YOU. Many children are being "harmed" by the idea that they cant play with dolls becuase dolls are for girls, or vice versa. Many transgendered or homosexual/bisexual people are being harmed by the binary male/female separation.
I, for example, am "harmed" by disapproval from the rents when i wear large hoodies, becuase they arn't what females wear, apparently.

Try some empathy. I know its hard being a (probably white/straight) male. Hard to emphasize, that is.

CymbaIine

Aug 23, 2013
Not at all, I used environmentalism as a term since it's a subset of behaviorism that posits environment is the primary cause of human psychological development and evolution. It goes a little further than behaviorism and is in many cases used to reinforce racism, the basic argument being that the environment in which white people evolved ultimately lead to a stronger, smarter, and more capable group of people than developed in other parts of the world, something which cannot be undone or changed over a period of time. The early "boost" human civilizations received due to conditions around the fertile crescent having in a lot of cases lead to a somewhat "softer" less intelligent and capable breed of humanity in the form of a lot of the darker skinned folks, who hit a peak, but then were rapidly overwhelmed by the same people they themselves once oppressed who in turn created most of the modern civilization. The basic argument turning into one where you might be able to argue in terms of genetics that there are no differences between humans, but psychologically and in term of mental function there is a huge, evolved, difference. Needless to say it amounts to a lot of bunk, you don't see a lot about it recently. On a lot of levels though this is similar to the kind of argument that Bob is making, that women are being conditioned into certain roles by society and conditions, and that without those conditions they would be well... just like men. That's not true, as your looking at an intrinsic, difference. Not that they are inferior, in any mental sense, but that they are wired with some very different sets of instincts, and instinctive likes and dislikes. Like other animals human men and women are intended to fill different roles, and our entire makeup of chemicals, electricity, etc... reinforces this. Sometimes exceptions occur like we also see with animals, but for the most part women are intended to be more docile, domestic, and nurturing, while men are the aggressive, and practical ones. The two different outlooks intended to work together since we are already unified as a species we already need each other to survive. If some girl winds up being a tomboy, or a guy winds up being more passive and introspective, so be it, that's no huge deal, but that kind of thing represents an exception, not the rule, and it's not something that can ever truly be made the rule as much as some people might want to, nor would it really be a good idea to do so as humanity benefits from both perspectives. What's more if the civilization that allows introspective analysis of such things and people to question it "morally" was ever to collapse, we would be in real trouble since we're looking at the instincts and tendencies that allowed us to survive, thrive, and eventually totally dominate our environment.[/quotes]

Would you like to source any of this? I really don't mean to be rude but you seem to have a very basic understanding of a wide range of extremely questionable (not to mention OLD) theories.

Xman490" post="6.835727.20469209 said:
As far as hardwiring goes, I'm using the term more generally than that article is. That article is generally talking about electronic pathways in the brain for the most part, as opposed to instincts and such intristic to humanity. Yes, people's electronic paths change, as is necessary given the nature of the brain. As parts of the brain die and don't get replaced by new cells, the electrical impulses are forced to reroute. At the end of the day we don't know a whole lot about the specific function of the brain (and likely couldn't find out without a whole new age of Mengela-like experimentation). After all in some cases people can have a metal rod stuck through the brain and be pretty much fine afterwards (rare), but in others even a slight amount of trauma can cause a variety of disorders. Then of course we've got the whole concept of "Electroshock Therapy" which remains controversial to this day.
[/quotes]

I don't think you really understood the article. It's possible that these pathways explain why women and men tend to have those masculine and feminine traits. The highly credible source said these pathways (the ones possibly responsible for major differences between the sexes) change though learning. Learning.

At any rate, understand that most psychologists and psychiatrists taking a pluralistic approach is exactly my point. Bob's entire argument is one that this phenomena is 100% caused by society forcing specific roles and attitudes onto girls, a sort of paternalistic brainwashing. He's saying "change the environment, and what you tell girls is normal,
and you will change the girls" that's not true, and represents pure, unfiltered, behaviorist thinking, bordering on environmentalist if he wants to take the argument to the point of saying girls have been turned into this simply because of generations of male dominated society. [/quotes]

I don't think he is saying that, I can't be arsed watching the video again so I guess I will agree to disagree.

you arrive at the simple point where you have no choice but to argue that those at the top of the socio-political food chain culturally have simply become better than those who were ultimately gimped by their environment. [/quotes]

Really not sure what you are saying here. Are oppressed groups negatively effected by their environment? Well, yes, of course. Does this this make the "rich" better? Well it makes them richer, healthier, more likely to do well at school, less likely to end up in prison yada yada yada. I suppose in a lot of ways that's "better". I don't think that view is particularly racist, sexist or controversial, it's just the truth.

But look at it this way, if I were in a race and I shackled my competitor to a tree it doesn't make me any faster.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Just so long as people don't just pull a 180 and start saying everything "coded" masculine is now bad since that wouldn't be getting anywhere. Also I don't think that traditional gender norms are entirely the fault of society as its partially instinctual but that's just a thought that's worth looking into.

I don't believe that "coded" female norms are specifically targeted so much as at the moment those are the things that make the villains different. Society has a phobia of things that are different and that's part instinctual as well I think. Should the things that currently make villains different become the norm then you would see a reversal. As for the hunger games it's firstly about class struggle and wine and chocolates are signs of excess as you should well know.

Is it in any way significant that pink and high heels were once masculine things?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I shop the pink isle because it's where they have ponies. Yay ponies!

Er, sorry, I feel I may have missed the bigger picture in this video here. Good points all around though.