The Big Picture: Relics

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Very good episode. I more-or-less knew the information already, but you made it click. Now for my question.

Who would win: Anakin Skywalker or Gambit?

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
Dear MovieBob, what do you think of fans, fanboys, fangirls, fandon hatred, fandom entitlemt, and fandon whining.

Also you opinion on MLP: FIM would be greatly liked.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Huh, certainly didn't know any of that. Though I went right to Indiana Jones and never thought about Tomb Raider.

Mailbag episode, sounds neat.

K_Dub

Oct 19, 2008
That was cool lil history lesson! Bit of an eye opener as well! Bravo Bob!

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
What are your favorite movies and why?

Heres hoping it gets answered... or at least an ep about it.

PlasmaCow

Jul 18, 2009
A good point well made there.

Mailbag question:
I recall that way back when you reviewed the first Guy Ritchie Sherlock Holmes film you mentioned that you hadn't seen any of the BBCs modern-day Sherlock series. I was wondering if you have seen any or all of the 6 TV-Film "episodes" since then and, if so, what your thoughts are on the modern day retelling and the series production as a whole.

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
Great episode as always Bob.

As for my question, I have to ask, what got you into the Movie Critic business? Besides your clear love and knowledge of movies of course.

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
How about what's your opinion on the DC reboot now that it's happened?

Although I still want an episode on Science Fiction books.

Oh actually then: What's your favorite Sci-Fi novel?

scdallav

Nov 18, 2009
Closer to home, there was a very similar phenomenon with the mound builders [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cahokia_Mounds] of the midwestern US

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Good episode. Thought it was gonna be another one of those politically correct soapbox episodes like last week. Not that I mind those exactly but I simply think the whole world has become fixated on political correctness.

Being black I can safely say that I've never felt that my race has ever been something that's kept me from opportunity or success in my life. While I'm sure there are certainly still racist people I think that the racism that went on as recently as 40-50 years ago is just a shadow of what it was.

Of course I'm not one of these over sensitive people that are quick to throw the race card around whenever someone looks at me crossed eyed either. For instance the fellas I play poker with, a bunch of retired cops and a few younger guys, we say some of the most horrible racially insensitive things you can imagine to one another.

Hell a few years back I got a bucket of fried chicken and a watermelon as birthday gifts (in addition to some very thoughtful gifts from the same guys). Both of which were delicious I may add. It was all in good fun and I've given as good as I got though as there is a couple of them that are Mexican, and few white fellas, and one Greek fella but nobody takes it seriously and we are all really good friends at the end of the day.

The bottom line is I simply think that people need to grow a pair and learn to stop being so thin skinned. Yes, things like sexism and racism exist but honestly in today's society neither are really an issue of any significance.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
What I liked most about this episode, was that I already had a college course on African History, and knew some of this stuff, so I was able to fallow easily.

Question: Could you give your opinion, based off of just cursory information gained from Youtube and forums, about Mass Effect 3; more specifically, the amount of hate Bioware is currently getting from fans for things like "From Ashes" and ME3's endings?

beniki

May 28, 2009
Huh. That's kind of interesting.

But wait... presumably they had guides and such that they could ask. Someone must have known the history of the cities, even if there was only oral stories.

Well... actually, I guess that's what the books were loosely based off, and then imaginations back home ran wild.

Here's a question for you though:

What are the other non-Tolkein fantasy ancestors?

Just wondering what there was before pointy ears and short bastards.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I don't see why people will automatically tune Bob off when talking about racism... Well, I GUESS nobody wants to sit through these kinds of lectures... but I think they should anyway. >:|

Really, this just reminds me of all the people who refuse to hear what Bob has to say, just because Bob is the one that said it. That's ignorant, and it ruins an otherwise good point he may have made.

Anyway, I like these introspective looks at words, history, etc., it helps you think outside the box, and you might even learn some new things. I also think it's funny, in a very tragic sort of way, hearing about "the lost city" and it's supposed origins, and the whites throught it was some kind of ancient civilization that went unknown for years to come... without even considering that the humans that already lived there might have built them. :(

What's even more sad is the idea that anyone on the Internet will deal with this sort of thing in an "intellectually honest" way. Especially the "intellectual" part.