The Big Picture: Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Remembering the Real Jack Thompson

MovieBob feels that it's time for the gaming community to get over the infamous Jack Thompson.

Watch Video

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Pre Watching: Chipman there is no reason to believe your delusions of their delusions. They are all delusions.
(Yeah I'll take does word back if he proves me wrong, but I doubt it)

Post Watching: How ironic is it of Chipman to ask people to stop seeing a person as a symbol. I guess "hypercritical" is more the word actually.

I do agree with the sentiment that people need to get over Jack Thompson, not because of the gamergate bullshit, but because of everyone who reacted to; "[We, the Red Cross, want semi realistic, modern military shooters to acknowledge the existence of War Crimes.]" with; "[OMG, they are just like Jack Thompson, trying to censor Grand Theft Auto.]"

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
That was pointless. I want my few min of life back. felt like all he was saying was what we already know. Like using the Hitler example for evil. Given the man was a man yes Hitler had good points too. So yeah saying what most people her already know. Broad brush stroke don't work because people don't work that way.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Fun fact: He was disbarred, along with several others for a prostitution scandal.

So, in essence, he was a stupid nut-job who got slightly more attention than other stupid nut-jobs and people are clinging onto him, because we haven't had another real boogeyman since...That's my 2 cents.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
I have never heard of Jack Thomson... So this was quite interesting. I don't know how I've been missing this.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Haven't people gotten over him? I've barely heard about him during the years since he was debarred, except being brought up a couple of times recently with people turning over the harassment he allegedly caught back in the day and whether that was right or justified, given that harassment is a hot button issue in gaming right now. This episode felt like it was desperately skating around the elephant in the room, Gamergate, without having the confidence to sink it's teeth in until the veiled reference at the end.

Mosesj

Sep 19, 2010
What was the point of that?

"Hey, you should get over this guy!"

*lists a long speech of basically scummy things this guy did and then make a anita sarkessian reference just to cause an angry debate in the comments*

That was just, weird

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
4:45 to 5:00, people. That's what this was all about. And he's right. I've see enough people bring up this particular boogeyman I've just stopped responding to it because of how stupid the comparison is. If nothing else, it helps me realize whose opinions I don't have to take seriously.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Three things:

-Oh dear, this will blow up in massive flames at this rate

-Honestly, I'm trying to step back and view the whole thing from above but this whole Gamergate thing is nuts so here is my probably controversial statement. How about instead of making a figurehead enemy that would unite the people but lead to nothing, you target something that is more ambiguous but will yield better results: lack of intelligence. It would seem that internet discourse has degraded into what I sadly call Neanderthal head bashing. Basic argument structure in a debate is as follows: constructing the argument, someone makes a refutation, you make a refutation of that refutation that supports your initial argument and so on. Instead, I see a whole lot of personal attacks and topic diverting. I understand that people are angry and pissed but in the long run leaving your rage at the door will enable you to articulate your point better. I admit I have not fully demonstrated that principle given my reaction threads but at the same time, the pissing contest is making me very very tired and annoyed.

- I don't quite understand why we are targeting critics? I don't like Anita on grounds of lack of citation, updates, or even basic academic research but the points themselves have merit. Gaming culture wanted to be treated on the same level as movies and books but we only want the positive in terms of acceptance and influence, not the negative in terms of unfortunate implications and tired tropes being brought up.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
~yay~

Another Soap Box episode(albeit a sneaky one at that).

Get out your umbrellas, ladies and gents, I foresee a septic cyclone!

One thing I will say though; MovieBob really glosses over PC Gaming far too often(this is a pet peeve rather than a full blown issue, though there was that time where he practically denounced the entire platform >.>).

That issue of PC Gaming that he used says 'Starcraft 2' on the cover, a game released in 2010, and after PC Gamer was bought by Future. A more context-appropriate issue(since everything else used early 2000s iconography) would've had Neverwinter Nights on the cover or something.

Yes, it's petty. No I'm still not over his PC Gaming episode and that he called Geralt of Rivia a 'generic white dude'.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Hah, well, I agree with what he's saying 100%, but I can imagine that this comments threat is quickly going to become a not-fun-place-to-be

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
JoJo said:
Haven't people gotten over him? I've barely heard about him during the years since he was debarred, except being brought up a couple of times recently with people turning over the harassment he allegedly caught back in the day and whether that was right or justified, given that harassment is a hot button issue in gaming right now. This episode felt like it was desperately skating around the elephant in the room, Gamergate, without having the confidence to sink it's teeth in until the veiled reference at the end.
Apparently people are not over him. As was sighted last week GamerGate, or rather a substrata thereof but that honestly makes no difference, was seen saying that Thompson was better than Anita Sarkesian. The only reason he hasn't really talked about GamerGate here is because he already did a Game Overthinker episode about it and this is basically the cliff notes version of it to an extent mostly in that video game players really need to stop thinking they are at war with some kind of bogeyman.

TheYeIIowDucK

Mar 22, 2011
God dammit Bob, just do that one "fuck gamergate" episode you obviously want so much to make and get it over with. Stop with this beating around the bush thing.

faeshadow

Feb 4, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
4:45 to 5:00, people. That's what this was all about. And he's right. I've see enough people bring up this particular boogeyman I've just stopped responding to it because of how stupid the comparison is. If nothing else, it helps me realize whose opinions I don't have to take seriously.
How is it a stupid comparison?

"Video games cause violence" and "Video games cause sexism" are not exactly different mindsets. They're just blaming inanimate objects on different things.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
Jack Thomson is still around, now using the pseudonym "Anita Sarkeesian". *badum tish*

UberPubert

Jun 18, 2012
If anything, doesn't this just support peoples comparisons of Jack Thompson to Anita Sarkeesian? I mean, if indeed Jack Thompson is just a guy with ideological hangups about violent cultures across a political spectrum, isn't that a word-for-word definition of Anita Sarkeesian's Feminist Frequency youtube channel?

Please do keep in mind she also criticizes movies, hip-hop and mediums of art besides gaming; she is - to me at least - someone very interested in pushing a certain agenda, not a video games critic. Same as Jack Thompson.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
UberPubert said:
If anything, doesn't this just support peoples comparisons of Jack Thompson to Anita Sarkeesian? I mean, if indeed Jack Thompson is just a guy with ideological hangups about violent cultures across a political spectrum, isn't that a word-for-word definition of Anita Sarkeesian's Feminist Frequency youtube channel?

Please do keep in mind she also criticizes movies, hip-hop and mediums of art besides gaming; she is - to me at least - someone very interested in pushing a certain agenda, not a video games critic. Same as Jack Thompson.
One was outright suppression of free speech, the other was the use of free speech in poorly supported criticism of media.

I would say the latter is less of a concern.