The Big Picture: Ripoff Cop

Roger

Apr 28, 2013
His go-to jiang-shi is from Super Mario Land, rather than Hsien-ko?

Oh, Bob...

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
You know, it's weird how you mention the Box Office, Bob.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=robocop2013.htm

According to this, Robocop pulled in $70 million overseas. Considering that it's state production Budget is $100 Million, doesn't this mean it has already broken even?

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Everything in this episode looked more interesting than the crappy movie I saw last night. There's so much about the new Robocop that makes no sense it's actually dumber than Chinese vampires vs... whatever the hell that was.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
It's cool Bob briefly mention the Metal Heroes shows, which was the basis for Saban's VR Troopers and Big Bad Beetleborgs. I wouldn't mind a Big Picture episode that explored the shows Saban made that didn't reach the same popularity as Power Rangers did. Hell, Masked Rider and its ties to Japan's ongoing Kamen Rider shows would be a multi-parter that is definitely worth exploring.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Bob, lemme just say that these are generally some of my favorite episodes of Big Picture. I was worried that this week was just going to be a more in-depth explanation as to why the new RoboCop sucked (and I wanna be clear, I'm very glad that was not the case)

But to offer a bit of constructive criticism to the way this episode was handled, I don't mind the occasional clip here or there, but it seemed like too much of this episode just consisted of clips from the things you were talking about. I would have rather you'd taken some of that time to discuss more instances of Rip-Off Cop movies.

Thank you for taking the time to read this (assuming you did)

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
For me, I'm turned off by the term "Robo." It just makes me think of schlock sci-fi. I prefer robots that're made more efficiently, like the droids from Star Wars.

If I want bulky, cumbersome robots with highly audible servos, well, all I need is this.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Roger said:

Oh, Bob...
I'm surprised he didn't mention the Renshi from Power Rangers Jungle Fury.

CAPTCHA: dream big

Doubtful, Captcha...

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
It's funny how MovieBob mentiosn the obscure enemy Pionpi from Super Mario Land (who honestly is probably one of my favorite obscure Mario enemies) when describing Jiangshi, but doesn't mention Hsien-Ko/Lei-Lei.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
You know, it's weird how you mention the Box Office, Bob.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=robocop2013.htm

According to this, Robocop pulled in $70 million overseas. Considering that it's state production Budget is $100 Million, doesn't this mean it has already broken even?
A film needs double it's production cost to break even the cinema chain takes 50% of the ticket price.
Domestic (US & Canada) cinemas don't take that much; distribution deals are very favourable to Hollywood studios. But the double-production cost is still a good benchmark because of marketing and other undeclared costs.

On the other hand, foreign distribution deals are usually less favourable--in some countries the studios' take can be as low as 25%. A good rule of thumb is to count the foreign box office as half of the reported figure. E.g., RoboCop's current $70 million foreign box office should be counted as $35 million, + $30 million domestic = $65 million.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
MatParker116 said:
Fun fact that Space Sheriff show would become one of the basis for VR Troopers.
No, but a space sheriff series entry was used for season 2. VR troopers used footage from three entries of the metal heroes series from the 1980's: Superhuman Machine Metalder, Dimensional Warrior Spielban, and Space Sheriff Shaider. Funny thing, origially Saban wanted to just do a show based on Metalder but after the success of power rangers, they turned into a team hero show by splicing together three shows, that and Metalder was only 26 episodes due to low ratings. They also had to change the orignal name of the show "Cybertron" for obvious reasons.

Also does the guy and song in the promo look and sound familiar to anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px52AkqelEk

Clovus

Mar 3, 2011
Roger said:

Oh, Bob...
My go-to jiang-shi are the hopping zombies from the "dead are restless" level feeling in Spelunky.

GDW

Feb 25, 2009
Jman1236 said:
MatParker116 said:
Fun fact that Space Sheriff show would become one of the basis for VR Troopers.
No, but a space sheriff series entry was used for season 2. VR troopers used footage from three entries of the metal heroes series from the 1980's: Superhuman Machine Metalder, Dimensional Warrior Spielban, and Space Sheriff Shaider.

*snip*
Was going to mention just that, thank you.

Also, "Full Metal Yakuza" was an excellent "Robocop" ripoff. With giant penises.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I love Robo Vampire so much.. I've subjected everyone I can to it after finding it in flea market years ago. (I might be a horrible person.) But yeah Lei-Lei/Hsien-Ko is a way more notable example of Jiang-Shi in gaming than the enemy from SML.

They've also made appearances in the Castlevania series, as regular enemies in the spinoff Kid Dracula games and as an optional boss in Order of Ecclesia. And the not terribly good NES game Phantom Fighter was originally a tie-in with the "Mr. Vampire" movie series, which appears to have been pretty popular in Japan at the time.

There was another famicom game and a PS2 game (released outside Japan, but not to NTSC unfortunately) featuring them as a focus and they've popped up here and there in other games over the years. But if you want to see a good Jiang-Shi movie watch the first Mr. Vampire, it's one of the best in the genre.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Gods Bob. How can you know so much about all this and yet pronounce Taoist wrong?

It's pronounced "Daoist".