The Big Picture: Ripoff Cop

Antsh

May 15, 2012
Actually watched it with my dad at the Alamo Drafthouse. He really wanted to see it and I promised my wife I would see Lego with her so....

Anyways, the drafthouse always has these ads and stuff before the movie. They went through all the Robocop stuff since the first movie. Trailers, commercials, products, toys, games, cereal, and (best of all) the Japanese rip-offs.

It was pretty amazing. And then the movie started...

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
And their i was expecting bob to explain in excruciating detail why some people are wrong for not hating the new robocop movie. Today is a good day!

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Ah, indulgence into old properties rather than tearing apart the new one. Good episode, Bob.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So did any of those rip off capture the violence of Robocop? Anyway it doesn't suprise me given to those other bizzare film that Bob shown in the past (that DBZ/ Street Fighter/ Terminator film comt to my mind).

Jan 12, 2012
templar1138a said:
For me, I'm turned off by the term "Robo." It just makes me think of schlock sci-fi. I prefer robots that're made more efficiently, like the droids from Star Wars.
I'm pretty sure this stuff is schlock sci-fi. Besides, with their costume budgets, a guy moving smoothly would just look like someone in spray-painted cardboard, rather than a robot.

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
Jman1236 said:
MatParker116 said:
Fun fact that Space Sheriff show would become one of the basis for VR Troopers.
No, but a space sheriff series entry was used for season 2. VR troopers used footage from three entries of the metal heroes series from the 1980's: Superhuman Machine Metalder, Dimensional Warrior Spielban, and Space Sheriff Shaider. Funny thing, origially Saban wanted to just do a show based on Metalder but after the success of power rangers, they turned into a team hero show by splicing together three shows, that and Metalder was only 26 episodes due to low ratings. They also had to change the orignal name of the show "Cybertron" for obvious reasons.

Also does the guy and song in the promo look and sound familiar to anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px52AkqelEk
Yep he was supposed to star in the show before Tommy's popularity in MMPR meant he had to be bought back.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Darth Sea Bass said:
And their i was expecting bob to explain in excruciating detail why some people are wrong for not hating the new robocop movie. Today is a good day!
Give it a video or 2. In fact, most likely Bob is going to whine about the new Robocop every chance he gets until the next movie he thinks really sucks but really doesn't comes along, he always does that.

Bbleds

Sep 6, 2011
I believe it is high time we bring the China based "vampire" mythology back. In all seriousness though, a talented crew can take the mythos and rework into a fairly creepy premise just going off the way they look. I can imagine making those goofy jumps into a jerky unnatural leaps or advances, and modifying the appearance to resemble maybe decaying corpses or "Juon/Grudge" type ghosts. Anyone know if there is already something like this made?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
What the f...that last one was terrible, absolutely dire. I'm going to need some antidote after watching Robo Vampire.

(Glorious subtitles too small in embedded version). [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pOoSe2K5DU]

Ah, balance is restored.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Strain42 said:
Bob, lemme just say that these are generally some of my favorite episodes of Big Picture. I was worried that this week was just going to be a more in-depth explanation as to why the new RoboCop sucked (and I wanna be clear, I'm very glad that was not the case)

But to offer a bit of constructive criticism to the way this episode was handled, I don't mind the occasional clip here or there, but it seemed like too much of this episode just consisted of clips from the things you were talking about. I would have rather you'd taken some of that time to discuss more instances of Rip-Off Cop movies.

Thank you for taking the time to read this (assuming you did)
Overload. Weirdness overload! Too many bizarre knockoffs!

OT: Didn't that one Hong Kong Robocop ripoff look like that one cover of Heavy Metal? That one Japanese artist who puts women's faces on sexy android bodies.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Alex V.Sharp said:
"Lady Battlecop" actually sounds like a rather cool twist. Maybe they should remake that next.
The crossover potential with Robocop is immense. Though no doubt it'll get bogged down by awkward shipping scenes.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
And it still looks better than Robocop fighting ninjas in the third movie

niknar266

Sep 22, 2011
That big green robot in robo force looks a lot like a zaku from gundam. double rip off points for china.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Rabidkitten said:
Where do you find the time to watch ALL of these obscure old movies Bob?
He's a movie geek. Where you watch maybe one movie every few days, Bob tends to watch numerous movies every day.