The Big Picture: Schlocktober 2013: Puppet Master

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
GamemasterAnthony said:
I'm rather curious now...

Do you think Puppet Master inspired the Child's Play movies?
nah, I'm pretty sure it was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_the_Doll

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
I have the first three Puppet Master movies on VHS, the small figures of Blade, Six Shooter, Leech Woman, Tunneler, Torch, Jester, Pinhead, and a Totem, as well as the cheap 12 inch Blade, I adore Puppet Master - other than Curse, Retro, the cash in title(legacy), Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys, and Axis of Evil. I have not heard of Axis Rising, stopped paying attention, not sure I should subject myself to that, although Axis wasn't all bad, it wasn't garbage like Curse, just didn't have the magic of the first five.

Also recommend Subspecies as Mr. Q has.

My Favorite is Torch, I wanted the $200.00 'authentic' Torch, but that's 200 I don't have, like ever.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013

Schlocktober is back bitches!
It's fun to learn or rediscover older schlocky horror movies, especially a series like the puppet master. The whole nazi theme in some of the films were always bizarre to me, but in an odd way, it works. Then again, it's a series about living puppets who can't decide to be evil or good with a clusterfuck of a backstork.

Time to post a vaguely related song

Devin Barker

Aug 10, 2012
I NEVER got to comic con without hitting the Full Moon booth. I own the Puppet Master boxset and watch them constantly to torture my GF (who also has a puppet phobia)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I remember watching the second one years and years ago and absolutely loving it.

It's probably one of my favorite silly horror movies ever.

Also, YAY SCHLOCKTOBER IS BACK! :D

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I remember seeing one or two of these as a teenager on cable. Nothing to brilliant, as Bob says, but generally better crafted than a lot of the lower-budget, "hey, red corn syrup is cheap, let's make a horror movie" films of the era.

I have to wonder, though, if it becomes harder to take the not-terribly-serious movies even vaguely seriously after having taken in Robot Chicken.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
Bob, PLEEEEEASE bring up and do a full episode just on Dollman. That is one of the greatest movies even committed to video. Jackie Earle Haley screaming literally every minute on camera that he's on, shitty one liners, and possibly the great stunt ever performed. Please, DO IT.

Also, great review. I have never seen Puppet Master, but I did see Demonic Toys. If it has something resembling a plot (and from your take, it kind of does), I might check these out. Great review.

kade_zero

May 23, 2009
I really enjoyed this episode. I?m a long time fan of Charles Band, and Full Moon. So of course I love the Puppet Master series.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I think that it is a shame that you only do movie reviews for your Halloween themed stuff Bob. There are so many things you could do with a Halloween themed analysis show of the sort of stuff you look at that it feels like you're only tapping into a fraction of the show's potential by having the theme for October being movie reviews every year.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I've heard of the Puppet Master movies, or at least the first few of 'em, but I've never seen them. And you know what? I think I still won't.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Safe to say that this is a series I will never, ever watch. I don't care if it's good or not, I'm staying away. Talking toys, dummies, puppets, whatever...that's where I draw the line. They freak me right out, although I admit that it is impressive hearing how much world building went into this series.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
This movie series was terrifically horrible, but that didn't stop my friends and I from having a Puppet Master movie marathon every Halloween. And I'll never forget the nightmare I had in which I was being chased by a flying Tunneler.

Ah, good times. Makes me want to watch the whole series again.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Bob, October has always been one of my favorite months with the good, and the holidays and all that good stuff...but seriously, Schlocktober has just made it even better. I always look forward to these episodes. Here's to another great month of movies.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
i think i saw one of them. but that has to be ages ago. not sure i would care to get them all. maybe if i would see them at my rental store, i might get them.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
Thank god for Schlocktober, the Escapist has been getting far too serious recently.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I never saw Schloktober my thing as I'm not too fond of scary movies.

But still I find it great to watch these episodes as I still think I get some small amount of "common" knowledge from this, like now I know what Puppet Master is and a bit of its history.