The Big Picture: Science!

RThaiRThai

Jan 13, 2010
I think every important response has more or less been made after reading 2 pages, but I already logged in just in case, so I may as well add my 2 cents (that's a weird expression).

I hope you actually read all your comments like you said, Bob, because with a thread this long, I usually assume nobody will read my post and pass by.

It seems to me that the only really serious question you raised in why we aren't using cultured meat. People have already responded the present problems, and people have said that if we put money into it, it will be economically viable in the future.

So here's what I would like to add, which may have been said on one of the pages beyond page 2. I suspect you already know this, but either did not think about it or don't care or just decided to leave it out of the video or have a counterpoint.

Maybe we could make cultured meat economically viable, and maybe it has all sorts of advantages, but any money we put toward it is taken away from somewhere else. Maybe shoving tons of money into that area of research isn't the best way to use the world's resources. Maybe it is a good idea, but I'm just saying that the opposite might be true.

I was considering saying that the free market would be putting more money into cultured meat if it were the best use of that money, or at least it would tend toward the right amount of money over time or approximate it. But then again, there are all sorts of situations where free market doesn't work (ignoring the fact that humans aren't entirely rational) like tragedy of the commons. I don't really know exactly which category this falls into.

Also, yes, this argument could be used for just about anything. I'm just bringing it up.

This got awfully long. I'm not sure if anybody will actually read this. 2 cents. There you go.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Urh said:
As for Bob wondering why animal rights activists aren't campaigning for cultured meat....really? He's wondering why a group of people populated by a considerable number of misinformed, irrational and sometimes balls-out crazy fucksticks isn't doing something logical and intelligent???
I'd be astonished if it wasn't already noted on the other 8 pages that peta is actually all about cultured meat.

And so am i.

Disclaimer:

What you will get with cultured meat will most assuredly NOT BE MEAT. It will be a cultured, gelatinous tissue. So much of the flavor and texture of meat comes from the way the animal moves.. it will take a long time to develop the technology to include connective tissue and marbling.

Which as Bob mentions, could be perfect for burgers off the dollar menu.

Also, bobbybear, i'm a little dissapointed in you. Come on, jetpacks? You gotta burn fuel to fly, and you simply can't carry enough fuel on your back to fly very far. So until we develop magic fuel, no practical jetpacks. You can demo the regular ones for a lot of money though, so have fun! :D

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Jet packs:
They exist. Just more in a "hover pack" way rather than a "jet pack" way. Putting a real jet pack on your back would cause the exhaust to set fire to your legs. Also incredibly extravagant as far as fuel usage/cost is concerned and an all round shitty mode of transport anyway. Use legs. They get you places.

Cultured meat:
Really expensive, really unrefined and huge ethics roadblocks. Cultured meat doesn't result in tasty steaks. It results in blobs of meat like protein. Besides, having the right proteins doesn't equate to having the right taste. Also, hella expensive. Again. You can't feed the third world on this stuff. You can grow it in a lab and dispose of it because its unsafe for human consumption.

Space:
Scientific fraud is... a huge deal. If people are found to lie about things, they get ostracised by the community in a pretty enormous way. Its even happened to Nobel prize winners. Space isn't a big priority right now, because its unfeasible (read: difficult) to get there with current technology. The world isn't in apocalyptic danger so there's no rush.

Mini-animals:
There are naturally small breeds of dog. There aren't naturally small breeds of bear (at least not the grizzly bear style bear). But yes, you are quite correct in postulating that an ankle height hippo named "Slaps" would be incredibly awesome. It's just not feasible.

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
thiosk said:
I'd be astonished if it wasn't already noted on the other 8 pages that peta is actually all about cultured meat.

And so am i.
At first I thought "Wow, the first thing to come from PETA that I agree with." Then I read PETA's press statement on its million-dollar in-vitro meat prize. It's a fucking joke. They've deliberately set the bar impossibly high, to the point where I can't help but call bullshit. They're offering a one million dollar prize, but the cost of meeting their criteria would likely run into the tens of millions. Furthermore, there probably aren't that many scientists and engineers who in their right mind would strive to win a prize from PETA. Sure, it's a million dollars, but they're batshit crazy dollars. Then again, if someone were to win, PETA would be down a million dollars, and that can only be a good thing. Quite the dilemma...

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Sylveria said:
The cultured meat is all well and good, but instead of having the dirty, emaciated, hippies protesting Mc Ribs, you'd have massive christian organizations telling them to stop playing God. Personally, I think the hippies are less bothersome and easier get around since they're all sickly and hungry from never eating actual food.
So are you saying we should just not make any sort of scientific progress that might offend Christians? Christians already had their turn at running this place, it's called the dark ages. I say let them ***** and whine all they want, their ridiculous ancient beliefs should no longer be allowed to hold back progress for mankind.

ampqre

Nov 9, 2011
Epic as always bob, but surprised that you did not mention Thorium, given you past shows that seems exactly the type of thing you would complain about.

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
MB202 said:
RadiusXd said:
MB202 said:
Wow... This episode was AWFUL! Bob really came off as a big dick in this episode. I mean, there was some stuff in the middle, but most of it made me want to punch Bob for being so immature about these things.
not sure if trolling.....
FYI, I never troll. I think trolling is stupid and wrong,a nd I don't see any enjoyment in purposefully pissing people off. What I said there was what I meant, I really don't like this episode, because Bob's demands from science came off as really piffy.

Not that it matters, this show is LITERALLY about saying whatever he wants to say, so I can't really fault him here for saying what's on his mind. I just think it's really stupid.
I was under the impression bob was just fooling around and doesn't expect anyone to take his requests seriously.....

EDIT: except for perhaps the cultured meat, but I immediately dismissed that as impractical for now. we already have a biological machine that produces beef with minimal upkeep and also provides fancy couch surfacing. it's called a cow.

Sofus

Apr 15, 2011
The only way we'll ever get to live in space is when Earth is no longer capable of sustaining the life of the richest countries.

Water/Ice have already been found on other planets, and since we know how to allow plants to grow in space, one of the only major problems left is how we transport enough materials out there in a resonable amount of time. Just think of how long they have been adding components to that international space station.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
it has probably already been mentioned but anyway.
Bob is making the classic mistake of assuming people are rational and or logical beings.
They are not.

Togusa09

Apr 4, 2010
Reminds me of an old duck tales comic where astronauts did discover gold on the moon. It was followed by a mad rush as anyone who could scrape together enough parts flew up...

Though it ended as all mining booms do, with traders selling supplies at inflated prices...

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
You're gonna have to do a lot better than oil. There's no way a trip to mars and back for X kilograms worth of oil will cost less than X kilograms of fuel.

Once they can get a stable fusion reactor using Helium 3, we can justify going to the moon though. Much more energy per kg, and we don't even have to lie, the stuff is really there.

And cultured meat isn't big for the same reason organic meat isn't: Too expensive. Plus, even if it manages to be made perfectly, how much would you wanna bet that food-snobs still insist you can taste the difference, and a large number of ludites wouldn't trust the stuff?

reciprocal

Jun 4, 2009
Credible scientists (the ones that matter) never lie professionally. Ever. That's the whole point of science.

They can fudge, though, but that's different.

mikeybuthge

Apr 28, 2010
So... this one time, The Escapist Community criticized MovieBob for taking an episode too far, when Yahtzee does one every week. To be honest, I've asked myself all these questions, not given myself any answers, but really, where's my jetpack, Enterprise, hambear, and grown meat that I can share with starving children?

kingmob

Jan 20, 2010
ElectricMegaHamstah said:
kingmob said:
I'm actually a 'space guy' and in my daily work the biggest problem is that not all those in 'team science' are in it for this reason :\ Seriously, a surprising number of people is in it for the paycheck and the tax benefits (I train astronauts).
Depressing? I know...

But I will consider your input for the next discussion ;)
My GOD You have the best job ever...
No, that would be being an actual astronaut sigh (one can dream).

RadiusXd

Jun 2, 2010
Sofus said:
The only way we'll ever get to live in space is when Earth is no longer capable of sustaining the life of the richest countries.

Water/Ice have already been found on other planets, and since we know how to allow plants to grow in space, one of the only major problems left is how we transport enough materials out there in a resonable amount of time. Just think of how long they have been adding components to that international space station.
step 1: space elevator

step 2: make great big ol forges on the moon (magnets for faster forging).

step 3: take advantage of low gravity and friction to launch our new monolithic spaceships (or assemble in lunar orbit)

step 4: journey to mars and beyond.

step 5: ????

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
newguy77 said:
Deverfro said:
Where is that first jetpack image from? 0:32
I'm pretty sure it's from The Rocketeer, a movie where a guy gets a jetpack and has to keep it away from Nazis.
EDIT: I'm about 99.9% sure it's from The Rocketeer, looking at the IMDb page.

OT: But cultured meat would taste like despair. Oh I hope someone gets that reference.
Im sure someone has already said this but Better off Ted

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
1. Cultured meat

While this is a very good idea I suspect that in the short to medium term it will not take off. The promary problem will be that intially the product will be more expensive per unit that natural meat from animal (there is the cost of development to pay off, compared to animals with no additional cost apart from rearing). I will admit that this problem will probadly lessen as development reduces the costs. The far biggest problem would be its public image, would people want to eat artifical meat? especially if it doesn't taste or feel exactly like what its suppost to be?

2. Space travel

yuh1

While the idea would be inpractical, a smiliar "gold rush" concept for the devolopment of space infrastructure has been suggested.

In truth we could probadly build a new fully reusable high capacity launch system and orbital vechile (A bigger version of the space shuttle). But when he had built it we would have a white elphant since we wouldn't need the capacity to launch such volume of objects in orbit. Disposible launch vechiles are for the moment economically affordable so there is not need to develop anymore resusable vechiles.

Anyway high speed interplanetary (earth to mars)would require high power eletric drives (fusion powered) that we lacked the basic technolgy at the moment to devolope, let alone use in practice.

For those who wish to understand the problems of realistic space craft go to Atomic Rockets at http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/ and the Rocketpunk Manifesto at http://www.rocketpunk-manifesto.com/

count9

Mar 14, 2011
Oh come on, if they can't even sell vegetables with a few gene strands knocked out to endure cold weather there's no chance in hell they can sell cultured meat.