The Big Picture: Silly Billy

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
Very cool stuff today. I loved the Beverly Hillbillies. Growing up in rural West Virginia, the show was a staple of my childhood. I'm going to have to hunt down a few episodes. Internet, don't fail me now.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Nice of you to consider us foreign viewers :)

This is the second ever time I hear about the show. The first time was when Weird Al Yankovic crossed the lyrics from the theme song with Dire Straits' Money For Nothing.

brass munkey

The Milkman of Human Kindness
Jun 25, 2009
Very interesting stuff Bob. Oh, and now I feel like a Hillbilly because my family has eaten off of a pool table before.

coppah20HE

Apr 8, 2011
I'm a 20 year old Australian, and I knew every word to "The Ballad of Jed Clampett"
But then, I love old TV shows

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
I watched this show daily as a ki. Superpowers for granny could count super strength, jed has the eyes of a bird of prey & could apply them to shooting, Ellly could communicate with animals, and all of them were stronger than Jethro.
Redd the Sock said:
Please. Jethro was the weakest of the 4. Elly continuiously beat him up. One episode had her date a weightlifer and she lifted his 200 pound barbells like plastic patio furniture. Granny once beat up the number one kartae champion in the world hired as a bodygurad for their banker. Jed never showed a temper on screen, but it was implied he had the same muscle.

Then of course they all could shoot flies with a shotgun at 300 yards. The joke was that gopher in the opening was the only shot Jed ever missed.
Clearly, it's been too darn long. I need to track down ALL NINE SEASONS and WATCH THEM ALLLL.

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
Huh... well there you go, I've been aware of the show for some time but never having grown up with it and being turned away by the one-note premise I hadn't given it much thought, it is good to be able to read more into things, sometimes in spite of authorial intent.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Huh. I'd never thought about the Beverly Hillbillies quite like that. Thanks Bob, that was a really interesting look at the cultural context.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Redd the Sock said:
lacktheknack said:
Electromagnet said:
The Grim Ace said:
the fact that the Clampetts basically all had super powers.
And now I'm very interested in this. Could we get a follow-up episode about this?
Meh, I'm not sure what he's on about. Jethro was enormously strong, yes, but Granny, Jed and Ellie May didn't have any "superpowers" to speak of.

OT: I LOVED THIS SHOW AS A KID! :D
Please. Jethro was the weakest of the 4. Elly continuiously beat him up. One episode had her date a weightlifer and she lifted his 200 pound barbells like plastic patio furniture. Granny once beat up the number one kartae champion in the world hired as a bodygurad for their banker. Jed never showed a temper on screen, but it was implied he had the same muscle.

Then of course they all could shoot flies with a shotgun at 300 yards. The joke was that gopher in the opening was the only shot Jed ever missed.
It was sort of a running joke that their manual labor and work ethic made them super strong while the soft, rich people (even the strong man that lifted weights) were all weaklings in comparison. Same thing with their shooting abilities. They made the stuff "hillbillies" would be good at, like being strong from manual labor and great shooting from hunting, into super human abilities simply as a way of creating a joke and further separating the Clampets from the people of Beverly Hills.

BTW...I remember the episode with the weight lifter. Grannie thought barbells was the name of a disease he had that caused him to get all puffed up (his muscles).

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
It still shows on... I can't remember the name of the channel xD TVland maybe, but the channel also had Gunsmoke and Bonanza on it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
I'd never really noticed this before...

But how is a bullet going to penetrate enough ground to strike oil? That just doesn't make any sense at all...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I never even knew there was a TV show, I only watched the 90's movie and I hated it.

But this was an interesting episode nonetheless.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Next episode: Hogan's Heroes!

I love Beverly Hillbillies, such a good show.
YES, 1000 times YES.

I say we get an unofficial campaign going for that one.

So many shows, only one a week.

Gomer Pile: USMC
Hogan's Heroes
I Love Lucy
M.A.S.H.

You know what M.A.S.H. that would also make a good show for Bob to do. Starts off more comedy then drama, balances out, then ends more drama then comedy. 11 years of great shows.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
THANK you, MovieBob! I LOVE looking too much into things. Even if it means possibly ruining it for other people. But if that's the case, it's really them who should disregard me and not them saying "SHUT UP, you're thinking about this too much." which is basically another way of saying "you're enjoying yourself in the wrong way". And that's lame.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Draconalis said:
I'd never really noticed this before...

But how is a bullet going to penetrate enough ground to strike oil? That just doesn't make any sense at all...
There were some points in the world, normally closer to the late 1800s early 1900s where there was enough pressure that the oil was floating on top of the land below it. Some areas in the wild weren't always very well traveled by people who looked for the stuff, so it's not impossible to hit a shallow well in an area where nobody's looked for oil.

Daniel Morton

Aug 8, 2012
I agree that its fun and beneficial to "overthink" fiction, especially if it seems simple and innocent, but that's not really the problem. The problem is that too many people go straight for the negative and/or cynical subtexts, construing the work to make it seem racist or saying the the story is just the dream of someone in a coma. Not everything has to be grimdark.