The Big Picture: Skin Game

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Bravo Bob, Bravo. Thank you for letting more people know about the monstrosity of a group. I hope that many more people in the world are more educated about the most hypocritical group in the world. You could compare their actions to Nazi Germany much more easily than poultry farming.

No Calumon, this topic would break the little guy's heart.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Lord Honk said:
There's just so much about peta's propaganda that I don't understand. Why the tanuki suit, which may or may not be 100% polyester for all we know? Why Super Tofu Boy, if Super Meat Boy is not depicted as being any sort of animal meat? Why the Cooking Mama debacle? It's just so incredibly insane in and of itself, and that's disregarding any of peta's actual actions against real, actually living and breathing animals.

It's just.... I can't wrap my head around it, and it's driving me nuts (organically grown on free-range trees and all).
Because peta wants attention and the easiest way to do that is to chastise something popular. Like Video games. It's the same thing Politicians do, they use things like Terrorism to push their BS, increase the attention they get and the money.

It's Video Games and Terrorism now, it was Rap before that, Heavy Metal, Comic Books, TV, Howard Stern, blah blah blah.

Who cares if the suit is polyester, you think people who care about animals are going to bother looking that part up when they've already been told "Give money to us so we can save animals for you without you having to do any of the actual work!"

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
"This isnt even about PETA taking a shot at my main man Mario [...]"

But it is. I mean lets be honest here; what Bob says isnt wrong, but this was all brought on by his Mario Fanboyism.

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Oh my God, I had no idea they were actively cruel to animals and now I'm so glad I never donated to them. Thank you, MovieBob, for raising awareness of these bastards.

(Also, thanks for the contact details.)

jessegeek

Oct 31, 2011
Oh my God, I had no idea they were actively cruel to animals and now I'm so glad I never donated to them. Thank you, MovieBob, for raising awareness of these bastards.

(Also, thanks for the contact details.)

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
My wife used to joke that PETA was created by the beef and poultry industries as a way to make their opposition look ridiculous. This was funny until we learned about PETA's ties to euthanasia, and the extremist underpinnings of their organization.

I don't judge a philosophy or movement by its extremist elements, but with PETA most people don't even realize it is an extremist organization, so I was very happy that you chose to do this video Bob. I also like that you're turning their "look at me" attention-grabbing on its head.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
zombie711 said:
Bob three weeks in a row and we havent had any happy-go-lucky nerd culture episodes. Why not go back to Comic ARE WEIRD. That was always interesting
I found those to be kinda boring. Personally, I find these opinion episodes to be much better work.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Furioso said:
Giest4life said:
Great episode about PeTA, Bob, though I disagree with many of your positions regarding animals. For starters, there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals."
Really? So you wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing if you starved a dog nearly to death, chained it up so that skin actually grew around the metal of the chain, and threw rocks at it for having the audacity to beg its owner for some food, until it inevitably died a long and painful death?
I'm unabashedly apathetic to the pain of my fellow man who is scattered all around the globe, I see no reason why I should feel any differently towards animals. If it helps you get some perspective, I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Varya said:
Giest4life said:
Great episode about PeTA, Bob, though I disagree with many of your positions regarding animals. For starters, there should be no such thing as "crimes against animals."
Yes, it's not like they can feel anything.
No, it's more to do with me not caring than with animals not having feelings.

Evil Alpaca

May 22, 2010
Gekidami said:
"This isnt even about PETA taking a shot at my main man Mario [...]"

But it is. I mean lets be honest here; what Bob says isnt wrong, but this was all brought on by his Mario Fanboyism.
Seriously?

How is his episode brought on by Fanboyism? He stated at the beginning of the episode that the Mario game was probably a cry for attention through senseless criticizing of a popular character. He also talked about the flood of tweets and e-mails about this topic sense it covered video games in modern day culture - something he speaks about on this website.

OT: Awesome way to counter the attention getting shenanigans of PETA. I'm glad how informative this episode was about PETA's stance on animals and that it wasn't a rant on the game. If PETA is going to troll for attention, then it should also bring attention to their hypocrisy as well.

Bassik

Jun 15, 2011
If those psychopaths go anywhere near your pets, it should be legal to kill them.
Lots of people with pets don't see them as their property, but as their companions. And you know what? That's exactly how pets see us. Humans and their pets.. it's something you should NOT come between.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
When you pinch Bobby's games, he'll pinch back. (I just had to make that Hotel Mario reference.)

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Urh said:
I already knew about PETA killing nearly all the animals it "rescued", but I didn't know that they were (allegedly) "rescuing" animals from animal shelters and slaughtering them. And upon further thought (I try to expend as little mental energy on PETA as possible), their position on pets is akin to genocide.
It is Genocide.

Bob didn't really elaborate on this aspect of things or explain it. PETA is out to sort of restore nature and the way animals exist in it. Humans have bred numerous kinds of animals specifically for their own use and companionship that are either intristically friendly to humans and want to be taken care of (some dog breeds being friendlier than others) or are either incapable of surviving in nature, or would have an unfair advantage in trying to survive and compete in nature due to having been bred for things light fighting (guard/attack animals) or hunting. They want to remove domestication and also man-made animals as part of restoring the natural state of animals.

PETA by and large understands that a lot of it's support comes from animal lovers who also have pets, and similar things, so it tends to downplay these aspects of it's operation. After all if some guy or girl donates because they love their Mr. Fluffy, they don't want to disturb that and lose the money, hence their covering up of a lot of their activities. Likewise it's much easier to get people to give you animals to kill if they think they are going to be taken care of rather than killed.

Understand something important though, PETA is not "insane". I disagree with them on pretty much everything related to animal domestication, but I understand why they do what they do and what techniques they use. PETA is one of the few groups that actually understands that nothing can be accomplished by simply stomping around protesting and talking smack, it takes actual actions. Thus rather than saying "we need to wipe out domesticated animals and man-made breeds" they actually do whatever it takes to do it. Likewise no amount of protesting is going to convince big business to do something it really doesn't want to do, especially when there is a large enough divide for them to actually have supporters. Simply showing up to protest animal testing, farming, zoos, and other things does nothing... just like the guys squatting in protest of Wall Street did nothing. Hence them backing groups like the "Animal Liberation Front" or spawning/carrying out similar actions themselves. While you might disagree with them, they are quite rational in understanding what it takes to pursue their goal especially in light of substantial opposition.

Of course PETA is a group where I am actually cheering for the other side, as opposed to supporting their cause and hoping they succeed with what they are doing. I don't like them,
I just understand them. Truthfully a lot of movements could learn a lot from PETA and it's operations. Albiet when humans get involved you start talking about killing people (politicians and their supporters) not domesticated animals. For example as I've said before with the Wall Street Protests (which I actually have mixed opinions about, as opposed to being a totally supporter of) for that to work they would need to start actually attacking these bankers and their holdings. Otherwise if it's just about making noise they can just put on the figurative earplug and ignore it all because the law protects them (which is why it got to this point) and nothing forces them to listen or agree. Some dude sitting 60 floors above you doesn't give a crap if your freezing in the street because you don't like him, he's going to just make his money and do whatever and pretend you don't exist. On the other hand if a bunch of unwashed squatters break in and kill him, the other people in a similar position are going to go "whoa, maybe we should take this seriously" especially if the police seem less than capable of dealing with it. A few incidents like that and suddenly people start to realize that non-violent protest out there outnumbers the police hundreds or more to one and if they REALLY wanted to take action they could storm buildings. The demonstrated abillity and willingness to take action irregardless of the authorities, but instead choosing not to, is what makes non-violent protest work... but first you need to establish that you actually have the choice/power to try and do something. Without those kinds of credentials it's meaningless. PETA sort of gets that, and as a result they can't be entirely ignored like Bob says even if there is strong opposition and they don't have the numbers to act on a large scale. You ignore PETA and then you have PETA start breaking into places more frequently, or increasingly funding groups like ALF (which someone else mentioned)... which ensures that even if not well liked or winning, PETA stays on the map as much as people might hate what they stand for. The only way to beat them would be to convince the majority of the members they were wrong... without a membership it can't operated, and to their credit they are fanatical enough in great enough numbers to resist that despite the massive counter pressure.

Or in short... know your enemy, you can't deal with a serious opponent unless you at least have SOME respect for it. Anything that has lasted as long as PETA has by definition become more than a joke, regardless of what you might want to believe, you can't beat it (or head it off) without taking it seriously.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Giest4life said:
Furioso said:
Giest4life said:
Really? So you wouldn't consider it to be a bad thing if you starved a dog nearly to death, chained it up so that skin actually grew around the metal of the chain, and threw rocks at it for having the audacity to beg its owner for some food, until it inevitably died a long and painful death?
I'm unabashedly apathetic to the pain of my fellow man who is scattered all around the globe, I see no reason why I should feel any differently towards animals. If it helps you get some perspective, I do not believe that there is any such thing as "rights"; the concept of "rights" is a social construct that is fully contingent on the time and place that they exist in.

Varya said:
Giest4life said:
Okay, so I should be able to beat you to a bloody death and not be punished because most people wont care. Not a threat just an example.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Neat. I never bothered caring about PETA before, and now I can actively dislike them with a clear conscience. In my mind I had it pegged as 'that charity that dumb girls who take off their clothes for money join because they like aminals' and aside from animal eugenics that sounds like all they really do in addition to trying to get gobs of money. Pretty special!

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
This is the first TBP that I haven't been able to finish watching - not because it wasn't good, because it was great, but because Bob's "spoiler" warning hit home and I felt I needed to stop before I got really ill and disturbed.

PETA's biggest problem (besides that they're batballs insane and survive seemingly only by corrupting innocent well-meaning college students) is that they give legitimate animal rights organisations like the xSPCA and Humane Society a bad rap by association. Someone mentioned a Christian looking at the WBC and that's pretty accurate. Seemingly every few months in the Humane Society's magazine is someone ripping into them for their supposed "extreme" positions that are really that of PETA, and not supported by any animal-rights organisation with half a brain.

Animal lovers, let's get the message out louder than PETA's screechings: Standing up for animals does not mean being stupid about it.

Jan 27, 2011
Ok, I knew MOST of all this stuff (thanks to Penn and Teller's Bullshit).

But really? They condone trapping pets to kill them off? They actually adopt healthy animals only to slaughter them?! They dump the bodies into other people's dumpsters?!

...Jeez, I thought I couldn't hate their guts much more than I already did.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Giest4life said:
Furioso said:
Giest4life said:

Varya said:
Giest4life said:
Okay, so I should be able to beat you to a bloody death and not be punished because most people wont care. Not a threat just an example.
Right, that is basically the gist of it.