The Big Picture: Stars, Worn

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Stars, Worn

MovieBob addresses some of the rumors around the new upcoming Stars Wars trilogy.

Watch Video

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
At this point, I think I'd go the cameo route here.

I read an article stating that Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher had to lose weight for the roles. I think it's a big unfair since they're in their 50's and 60's. They should be allowed to retire gracefully and not have to do constant stuntwork.

TechTim

Apr 15, 2011
Han dies as a "shock moment", maybe. I feel more likely Luke dies protecting Han, Leah, and sidekicks.

KiramidHead

Jan 26, 2012
Eh, I don't have much of a problem with this. I'd rather see the original characters play significant roles before being retired for good, instead of just being cameos/plot points. Heck, the latter wouldn't be all that different from going the Alien³ "offscreen death just because" route.

And nice to see that you're representing all parties involved based on only their worst work and dismissing the whole idea as a "fan film." Real class act, Bob. This is the kind of cynicism the internet needs less of.

Alex V.Sharp

Jan 20, 2011
unacomn said:
If Kyle Katarn isn't in this movie, it will fail! Give us the bearded wonder!
Sometimes I do wish there was a Like button on these forums. Cause this statement gets ALL my like! :D

Michael Brockbanks

Apr 2, 2011
The problem with doing a new generation for the franchise now is we're still coming off the hangover of episodes 1-3, which starred a different generation of characters, most of whom were incessantly bland, lost in a hodge-podge of glorified toy commercial, completely missing out on everything that was right in the original trilogy.

Yes, we need to move on. Yes, there have been problems in the past with trying to revitalise an old series with a last hurrah from the original cast, but in none of those had the series already been sullied by the next (albeit previous) generation. The new generation of fans (as well as some of the old) might benefit from being reminded why we fell in love with it in the first place.

Besides, there's always the risk that just throwing the newbies at us will fall flat and leave us all wishing we had more time with the old-school.

Personally, I'm all for an Episode VII that passes the torch from the old to the young to set up VIII and IX. Better, in my opinion, to establish the new on the back of the old, rather than relying on them to carry the trilogy right out of the gate.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I will enjoy it waaaaay too much if they kill off Han.

The resulting ocean of tears would be glorious in that particular I'm-not-into-this-thing-and-can-therefore-view-the-passion-of-its=fans-with-utter-detachment kind of way.

Oh, I can just hear it now, "Bu... bu... but that's not... that's not what happened in the extended universe!"

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'd rather they play a major role before the *gasp* one of them is dead idea. It'd be a shame to just have them show up for one scene or so to go "hey, these guys are our betters and successors" then disappear forever (presumabley 'cause one of them died).

Though if Han dies it will be absolutely hilarious. I wasn't a big fan of him in the original trilogy but I can easily imagine the fanboys to burst into tears over it and denounce the film for existing over internet forums.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
eh, I think we can afford to lose the Yuuzhan Vong.

Beyond that I suppose its not too bad. We might still be able to claim the hand of thawn stuff as canon.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Han is minding his own business, is out grocery shopping and then the grandson of greedo kicks his walking stick away and shoots him.
I look forward to a theoretical point in the far off future when we finally stopped caring about star wars and star trek while we're at it.
We will get some new scifi franchises eventually but right now with star wars still being milked and star trek in the process of selling new shitty tie in merchandise i'm not quite sure if i will still be alive to see them.

While we're at milking old stuff, why not make new "Stargate" stuff? Sure, there was a movie and then a ten year long show and then they made the same show again in another galaxy before trying to make something that took itself seriously and had unlikable characters.
Compare it to star wars and star trek, Stargate looks like it's all new and fresh.

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Zhukov said:
I will enjoy it waaaaay too much if they kill off Han.

The resulting ocean of tears would be glorious in that particular I'm-not-into-this-thing-and-can-therefore-view-the-passion-of-its=fans-with-utter-detachment kind of way.

Oh, I can just hear it now, "Bu... bu... but that's not... that's not what happened in the extended universe!"
Yep, the fires will be wonderful since a lot of the extended universe are either fanfiction set in the universe or rehashes of stuff like Exar Kun for the sake of fun.

I want the movie to be good, I saw Star Wars and loved it as a kid but I also understand that Hollywood are more likely to destroy our childhoods then preserve them. Honestly, this generation is horrible for media in general; movies and games are starting to stall and become more generic and filled with problems and now anime is starting to turn into a pandering mess.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
And thus a new decade of cries about "But Han shot first!" was born unto the internet.

OT: Insightful episode. As somebody who likes The Phantom Menace and likes many parts of the other two prequels, I'm not really all that afraid of how a new trilogy is going to "ruin" Star Wars forever again. It's not like much worth paying attention to has come out of the Star Wars brand since 2006, anyway.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I didn't even realize that George Lucas might have came up with everything in the prequel trilogy on the fly... But that makes a whole lot of sense, considering whats actually in those movies. Also, I think J.J. Abrams' idea, of the new trilogy starring the original cast, is stupid. I think Michael Arndt's idea isn't much better, it literally sounds like every other direct-to-DVD Disney sequel ever made, but I think it sounds a lot better and less blatantly pandering, IMO. But yeah, pretty much everything Bob said, particularly about reviving classic, nostalgic properties and trying to get the original actors back. I also like Bob's comments about this movie playing it "safe" instead of actually going somewhere new or interesting, since, you know, this movie is so freaking guaranteed to make money it's not even funny.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah, it probably should have been more of a "passing the torch" movie than a "one last harrah" movie. Luke becomes a cross between Obi Wan and Mace Windu as he has gathered the remaining Jedi survivors and reopens an academy (possibly borrowing the one apprentice to a master style of the Sith and pretty much abstaining from Republic governance all together after how that ended up last time). Leia goes back to being a senator (possibly for the new Jedi homeworld) while Han helps out at the Academy.

But, no, we're probably going to have to wait until VIII before we get that, if at all.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Completely agree with Bob on all points, including the "twist," and that it should not be Abrams in the first place.

Giving the fans what they want = Dragon Age Origins

Giving the fans what they think they want = Dragon Age 2

Now, I enjoyed both, the 2nd less so. There's no denying the quality and prowess of a production with clear vision and ambition, rather than pandering to a checklist.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
While I'd prefer they aimed at what you laid out Bob as the way film goes down, I will ultimately give whatever they do a chance. I can't say I hate the idea of seeing the original cast do something again. (rather I'd liked to see that I don't know 20 years ago...but I digress.)I won't assume the worst till it happens.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Madman123456 said:
Compare it to star wars and star trek, Stargate looks like it's all new and fresh.
What about Battlestar Galactica?, it still isn't milked to death like either Star Wars or Star Trek ;)

OT: Well... I never considered myself as a Star Wars fan, but I'm interested to see where the new trilogy is going and I'll buy tons of popcorn to enjoy the ensuing backlash they'll get, especially in these very forums :)

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
At the end of the day, no matter what route the production takes, the fanboys are still going to ***** and moan for fifteen (possibly more) years without realizing that these new movies will be about the same quality as the first trilogy.