The Big Picture: Stay Classy, San Diego

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I always find it amusing when Bob reconciles his inner or outer nerd with his job as a film critic, then takes a step back and observes where that puts him in regard to the rest of critics.

Bob's right, though. To understand a culture, you have to look at the nexus. Like it or not, SDCC is a center for all things in a certain sphere of popular culture.

And honestly, I do get some satisfaction from knowing that the Anton Egos of the film critic business all have their panties in a twist because a bunch of people are going to see, and likely enjoy, a movie with a talking raccoon wielding a gun. Too bad for them. Guardians is likely going to be the only film I see this year, at least in terms of my own desire to see something. If my friends want to go see a movie, then I might go, but that's more of a social thing, not because I have burning desire to see whatever movie it is. I'm soured on movies. They just aren't doing it for me anymore. I'd rather play a game, read a book, or watch a TV series than go see a movie. It just seems that aside from these continuity focussed movies, nothing interests me anymore.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
MB202 said:
youji itami said:
Bob your not a film critic your a youtube personality that a small website started to employ at best, GET OVER IT.
Actually, he IS a critic; he's getting paid to criticize movies, and whatever stupid reasons you find to disagree with him or belittle his opinion, that's not going to change. So YOU GET OVER IT!
Please don't feed him. He has so little of value to input, in fact this isn't even his first account on the website, his old one got banned for railing on Bob all the time. He's simply learned to craft his comments better so he can rail on Bob without breaking the rules of the website. He's here to stay, it's just best to ignore him.

And Man

May 12, 2014
mattawbrown said:
So this Friday I can expect a spoiler ridden review just glowing in the praise of Guardians of the Galaxy? Why wait? it seems that Bob has already made up his mind on the thing. I've really gotten tired of Bob forming opinions on movies months before they come out, by already holding an opinion towards something it's going to colour your viewing of the work. Other critics of other forms of entertainment have often said that they try to avoid promotional material for their preferred entertainment media, however, because of The Big Picture that's not an option for Bob. I feel that his two shows are actively working against each other, which is unfortunate because I'm a big fan of the Big Picture and I enjoy Escape to the Movies when Bob is reviewing a movie that he hasn't already decided whether or not he likes it.
I imagine he has already seen the movie

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
All I got from any of the news is that 2014 has been a bit of a dull year. 2014 just exists to connect us to 2015 as everyone gave it their all last year and are waiting for next year to release their next big things.

mattawbrown said:
So this Friday I can expect a spoiler ridden review just glowing in the praise of Guardians of the Galaxy? Why wait? it seems that Bob has already made up his mind on the thing. I've really gotten tired of Bob forming opinions on movies months before they come out, by already holding an opinion towards something it's going to colour your viewing of the work. Other critics of other forms of entertainment have often said that they try to avoid promotional material for their preferred entertainment media, however, because of The Big Picture that's not an option for Bob. I feel that his two shows are actively working against each other, which is unfortunate because I'm a big fan of the Big Picture and I enjoy Escape to the Movies when Bob is reviewing a movie that he hasn't already decided whether or not he likes it.
So you think that Bob should avoid all pre release stuff and review all the products without any bias? That's silly. If the studios release any information about the product, then you're allowed to both read/watch and form an opinion on what you see. Why else would anybody else watch these films they've otherwise heard nearly nothing about? He watched the trailer and read the news, he likes what he sees so far (and I assume he's watched the film by now, too). Just because other critics choose to not indulge in pre-release information doesn't mean Bob has to.

Also, I think his previous Big Picture episode Baggage covers this, too: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8384-Baggage

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
youji itami said:
Bob your not a film critic your a youtube personality that a small website started to employ at best, GET OVER IT.
"You're".

Also. He critiques films. That makes him a film critic in my mind. Is there something more to it?

OT: Man. I really cant wait to see Guardians of the Galaxy.

Triaed said:
I want to know more about how Miller's Batman and the Death of Superman are creaky relics of eras and trends that nearly destroyed their medium!
Ditto. Bob, your move. (topmost quote, this is the correct use of your).

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
templar1138a said:
Meh. I've never much cared about the opinions of film critics. Oh, and Bob, the phrase is "I couldn't care less." To say you could care less means that you DO care.
Generally, people care even less about people who get riled about the "could/couldn't distinction in this context.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Bob,

As a lifelong fan of Friday the 13th movies who started watching them in the 70s, thanks for giving Jason the shout out.

I love those movies, and I don't care how "bad" they are. They had a meaningful impact on my life. Some folks like roller coasters, some folks like romance novels, for me it's always been silly over-the-top slasher flicks. Literally since I was a boy. :)

-Paul

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Worgen said:
Hmm, oddly enough from the title of this I thought it would be about sexual harassment at Comicon since I've been hearing about about that lately.
Considering how much of a SJW Bob tends to be I was expecting this too. I'm actually really glad he didn't.

contla said:
I've never seen one of these people Bob was talking about. They're like Dodo's to me. I know they existed but I've never seen one.
Just go to rotten tomatoes and look at the negative reviews on any successful well liked super hero movie ever. The only negative review on GotG right now is some guy claiming that Marvel movies are too overly serious. It's like what? Did you even Thor: The Dark World? They're easy to ignore but I understand why they upset Bob so much because they sure do upset me as well.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Guys! You're nitpicking Bob's use of "I couldn't care less" but haven't linked to the appropriate Weird Al video from his new album? For shame!

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
Worgen said:
Hmm, oddly enough from the title of this I thought it would be about sexual harassment at Comicon since I've been hearing about about that lately.
Considering how much of a SJW Bob tends to be I was expecting this too. I'm actually really glad he didn't.
A hundred times yes.

I don't think that a lot of critics have a lot of problems with comics. Comics have been considered an art form, especially in critical and academic circles. Even the oldest critics grew up in the 60's or 70's when the world say great comics especially in underground and counter culture circles.

I think people don't go there for the same reason I wouldn't want to. It sounds like a nightmare. Any time I see comic con I see people who I could not stand in real life. Get sold something every 2 seconds. Weird nerd guys. Girls dressed in skimpy outfits I am supposed to feel bad about being aroused by. Watch actors get cheeto crusted handjobs while they shovel their new movie. You get your comic signed by the guy who drew it. Have a bunch of people cavorting around acting like kids. See the same shit teased the same way year after year. The smell

I LOVE comic books & movies but comic con sounds like a fucking nightmare to me. I am happy to click on a picture of Wonder Woman and feel bad about wanting to jack it.

I also strongly agree with the episodes main argument. Being a critic is subjective. A critics opinion on movies when they don't represent a film as an entity separate to the actors careers and studio politics, or taken in by advertising. My favorite critics are strongly open minded, but opinionated. Not all toeing the same ideal. If a critic who LOVES horror films says to check out something, I know it's probably going to be good, even if I don't like the look of it. That's not to say that same guy will like superhero films, I still respect his opinion. Better he at least be unbiased about them. He will view it as a FILM and not go looking for fucking easter eggs to impress his twitter followers.

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
This really just comes across like Bob complaining that some critics aren't paying attention to his preferred favourite movies. The weird jab at Boyhood at the end is particularly ironic considering how many times he claimed not to care about what movies other people do or do not like.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Fascinating observation, Bob. I always get a good giggle at your take-downs of "traditional" movie critics who think they're superior for liking "artsy" independent films over big summer blockbusters. For good or bad, Comic-Con is a cultural powerhouse and it's here to stay. I am surprised you said something positive about Wonder Woman's movie costume (and I concur; looks good & can't wait to see her in action).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I find these conventions largely superfluous except as a gathering place for cosplayers. Most of the big news is covered on social media anyway.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
canadamus_prime said:
I find these conventions largely superfluous except as a gathering place for cosplayers. Most of the big news is covered on social media anyway.
Seeing Comic Con for the first time on G4 back in 2008 or something, that was my first impression. It is not surprising that no panel had anything new to show when PR divisions can't wait to tease or reveal new things.

Necris Omega

Jul 27, 2011
Eh, a plug against high brow film snobbery is always okay in my book. It does kind of underline the fact that, while the term is relatively new, the concept of "hipster" is much older if not timeless than its usage would imply.

Ultimately, to maintain relevance, a critic has to engage in what IS relevant rather than try and dictate or talk down to it. And no, unfortunately for many critical egos, their tastes and their opinions do NOT dictate what is relevant. No matter how prestigious your film school, or how many film festivals you've frequented, or how thoroughly steamed your beret is, you are simply not that important.

If you wish to criticize, then criticize. If you wish to demean, demean. But if you refuse to even engage, if you think you're so high and intellectual that you think you're too good to even address the realities of modern film, then you serve no purpose. You may as well retire to the dusky and forgotten coffee house all the beatniks went off to die in, because ultimately this industry doesn't need you. This industry doesn't listen to you, people still continually flock to films whose intelligence is inversely proportionate to its SFX budget, and you are 100% replaceable by a younger, more humble, more energetic, and eager generation.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Hutzpah Chicken said:
canadamus_prime said:
Seeing Comic Con for the first time on G4 back in 2008 or something, that was my first impression. It is not surprising that no panel had anything new to show when PR divisions can't wait to tease or reveal new things.
While this may be true, there are tons of smaller panels that will never get any press. Lots of industry panels for those interested in drawing, coloring, sculpting, voice over work, and even copyright law (hosted by actual lawyers). Panels for YouTube shows and channels, small/indie movie projects, upcoming cable series, indie/web comics, and even pop-culture personalities. For those who actually look over the schedule there are so many things to do, most of which you will never hear about if you don't attend. Not counting the big two (Hall H & Ballroom 20), there are around 15 smaller panels going on at any time of the day.

If all you care about is the big stuff, yes, you can get plenty of news about that online. But for the rest, you actually have to go.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Worgen said:
I kind of assumed it would be about Zombie convention goers attacking cars and disabled people for some reason.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
faefrost said:
Worgen said:
I kind of assumed it would be about Zombie convention goers attacking cars and disabled people for some reason.
It was because the deaf people in the car got freaked out by the zombies and ended up running over someone.