The Big Picture: Stuperior

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Siege_TF said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
KoDOmega said:
Everybody's getting raped!
ShadowDude112 said:
Spider rape, spider rape, friendly neighbourhood spider rape.
I could (mis)quote more people, a lot more people actually, but the point is moot in this case considering the events of One More Day because...
MJ and Peter refuse to have sex until they're married, which is why Spider Girl ceased to exist. That was Mephisto's plot all along, subtly going Terminator on Spider Girl, not erasing the marriage just for fun as some people seem to think.

Unless they just use contraceptives until they say their I-dos, but I'd need to see evidence of it.
... wait... how is YOUR point not moot?

I'm really not going to go digging to find Siege or Marvelous' (though I'm guessing I'm in excellent company), but in my case, my arguments are completely independent of the events of One More Day. It doesn't matter* whether or not MJ and Spider-Ock's union bears fruit; if MJ thinks that she's sleeping with Peter when she's sleeping with Doctor Octopus, she's being raped. Period dot. And, given from what I've seen from Superior #1, Spider-Ock JUST might have the drive to make her forget that idea. What came before is irrelevant.

So... yeah. I don't get why what you said... matters. o_o

*This is, of course, independent of the fact that no one wins when a pregnancy comes from rape, let alone a child.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
KoDOmega said:
Siege_TF said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
KoDOmega said:
ShadowDude112 said:
I could (mis)quote more people, a lot more people actually, but the point is moot in this case considering the events of One More Day because...
MJ and Peter refuse to have sex until they're married, which is why Spider Girl ceased to exist. That was Mephisto's plot all along, subtly going Terminator on Spider Girl, not erasing the marriage just for fun as some people seem to think.

Unless they just use contraceptives until they say their I-dos, but I'd need to see evidence of it.

I'm really not going to go digging to find Siege or Marvelous' (though I'm guessing I'm in excellent company), but in my case, my arguments are completely independent of the events of One More Day. It doesn't matter* whether or not MJ and Spider-Ock's union bears fruit; if MJ thinks that she's sleeping with Peter when she's sleeping with Doctor Octopus, she's being raped. Period dot. And, given from what I've seen from Superior #1, Spider-Ock JUST might have the drive to make her forget that idea. What came before is irrelevant.

*This is, of course, independent of the fact that no one wins when a pregnancy comes from rape, let alone a child.
I poorly structured my sentance. The issue (point) of whether or not Spock is raping MJ when they have sex is moot because they don't actually have sex, because they aren't married anymore. There's no need to worry about their union bearing fruit becuase there's no unioning (is that a word?) going on. That's why you-know-who doesn't exist anymore. I agree that if they did then it would be rape, but I disagree that posession or mind control is in and of itself rape in the Marvel universe, because that's just how morality works there. If that was not the case some of earth's greatest heroes would also be some of earth's greatest sexual perdators.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Siege_TF said:
KoDOmega said:
Siege_TF said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
KoDOmega said:
ShadowDude112 said:

I poorly structured my sentance. The issue (point) of whether or not Spock is raping MJ when they have sex is moot because they don't actually have sex, because they aren't married anymore. There's no need to worry about their union bearing fruit becuase there's no unioning (is that a word?) going on. That's why you-know-who doesn't exist anymore. I agree that if they did then it would be rape, but I disagree that posession or mind control is in and of itself rape in the Marvel universe, because that's just how morality works there. If that was not the case some of earth's greatest heroes would also be some of earth's greatest sexual perdators.
First off, I don't know if you came up with that or not, but I kinda gotta smirk at the name Spock.

Secondly, MJ made that agreement with PETER, not Spock. As I was saying, he has no reason to not want to "re-open the issue", as it were, especially if he's wanting to top Peter in all the aspects of his life.

Thirdly, yeah, that whole "possession and mind control doesn't equal rape in the Marvel universe" thing? Yeah, tell that to Miss Marvel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Marvel#1980s] or Jessica Jones [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Jones#Heroic_career]. I'm sure you'll get a REAL warm reception.

Fourthly (and finally), if something's been walking like a duck and talking like a duck, but we've been calling it a goose? Maybe we should start calling it a duck.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Siege_TF said:
CaptainMarvelous said:
KoDOmega said:
ShadowDude112 said:

I would object to the misquote but you arranged it f*cking beautifully so I am honestly completely ok with it

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
KoDOmega said:
First off, I don't know if you came up with that or not, but I kinda gotta smirk at the name Spock.

Secondly, MJ made that agreement with PETER, not Spock. As I was saying, he has no reason to not want to "re-open the issue", as it were, especially if he's wanting to top Peter in all the aspects of his life.

Thirdly, yeah, that whole "possession and mind control doesn't equal rape in the Marvel universe" thing? Yeah, tell that to Miss Marvel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Marvel#1980s] or Jessica Jones [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jessica_Jones#Heroic_career]. I'm sure you'll get a REAL warm reception.

Fourthly (and finally), if something's been walking like a duck and talking like a duck, but we've been calling it a goose? Maybe we should start calling it a duck.
(Pruned for conciceness.)

I don't see how or why this would change the future. This wasn't a cosmic, reality-altering event. It was some above average supervilliany to be sure, but tangling the threads of fate? I don't see that.

I'm sure Marvel and Jones would agree that it's what you do with it, not the size that counts. Or something. If I, a person who was allergic to chocolate, were to posess someone and go have a hot coco at a Starbucks in the Marvel universe I'd be guilty of maybe spoiling someone's diet.

You'd have to give me an example of someone posessing or mind controlling someone else either for their own good, or just to see if they could (and not doing anything when it suceeded) and it being a big issue about the subject being violated to convince me otherwise. Ms. Marvel is in this case a very bad example because she's on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Let's take for example Cain Marko, A.K.A. The Juggernaut for an example from the other side. In the X-Men cartoon he lost his powers while attacking the X-Men at one point and the mansion collapsed on him. Xavier kept him alive by keeping his brain active by being inside it. Marko sure as hell didn't like it; he always hated when Xavier got in his head, and what's worse is Xavier just started helping himself to Makro's memories to figure out why he hated him, despite his objections. After the X-Men got him his powers back he decided to leave in peace rather than continue fighting. Not exactly the actions of someone who has been mentally scarred.

And that is, of course, discounting all the times he's been beaten by his helmet getting pried off and a psycher compelling him to bugger off.

At the moment Doc Ock's joyriding in Pete's wheels, not using it to have his way with MJ. He's guilty of theft, not rape. He may want to have at it with MJ; he's certainly expressed interest in her, and at some point he might even try to. Don't get me wrong; that'd be terrible of him if he did, but it'd give Brian from Family Guy better odds of making werewolves (were-laboodles technically) with Lois. It's not going to happen.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Siege_TF said:
KoDOmega said:

(Pruned for conciceness.)

I don't see how or why this would change the future. This wasn't a cosmic, reality-altering event. It was some above average supervilliany to be sure, but tangling the threads of fate? I don't see that.

I'm sure Marvel and Jones would agree that it's what you do with it, not the size that counts. Or something. If I, a person who was allergic to chocolate, were to posess someone and go have a hot coco at a Starbucks in the Marvel universe I'd be guilty of maybe spoiling someone's diet.

You'd have to give me an example of someone posessing or mind controlling someone else either for their own good, or just to see if they could (and not doing anything when it suceeded) and it being a big issue about the subject being violated to convince me otherwise. Ms. Marvel is in this case a very bad example because she's on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Let's take for example Cain Marko, A.K.A. The Juggernaut for an example from the other side. In the X-Men cartoon he lost his powers while attacking the X-Men at one point and the mansion collapsed on him. Xavier kept him alive by keeping his brain active by being inside it. Marko sure as hell didn't like it; he always hated when Xavier got in his head, and what's worse is Xavier just started helping himself to Makro's memories to figure out why he hated him, despite his objections. After the X-Men got him his powers back he decided to leave in peace rather than continue fighting. Not exactly the actions of someone who has been mentally scarred.

And that is, of course, discounting all the times he's been beaten by his helmet getting pried off and a psycher compelling him to bugger off.

At the moment Doc Ock's joyriding in Pete's wheels, not using it to have his way with MJ. He's guilty of theft, not rape. He may want to have at it with MJ; he's certainly expressed interest in her, and at some point he might even try to. Don't get me wrong; that'd be terrible of him if he did, but it'd give Brian from Family Guy better odds of making werewolves (were-laboodles technically) with Lois. It's not going to happen.
I'm... STILL... really not sure why we're giving, again, the EX-VILLAIN COMMITTED TO TRUMPING THE FORMER POSSESSOR OF THE BODY HE'S IN the benefit of the doubt. Yes, of course, innocent until he actually does something, and frankly, at this point, Marvel would be STUPID to let something happen, but still, let's be cautious and ready to let them know we're not pleased should they poop the bed, shall we?

diddykonger

Jan 14, 2009
HA!, MovieBob called it! leafed through issue 2 of "Superior Spider-Man" and looks like Marvel isn't totally run by monkeys'

Peter's Consciousness still exists and is just deeply buried

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
diddykonger said:
HA!, MovieBob called it! leafed through issue 2 of "Superior Spider-Man" and looks like Marvel isn't totally run by monkeys'

Peter's Consciousness still exists and is just deeply buried
What a fucking cop-out.

But I am really liking Spider-Oc.

minimacker

Apr 20, 2010
Hey! I liked the Six Arms Saga! Him slowly turning into a monster and risks hurting those he love. He turns into the spider-hulk, basically. Except the spider-hulk is a young adult/teenager-ish.

Though to be honest, the 1994 Animated Series did that saga way better.

lukesparow

Jan 20, 2014
On the subject of terrible Spiderman comics, what about that time Peter Parker killed Mary Jane with his radio-active seamen?