The Big Picture: Summer's End

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Summer's End

This week MovieBob takes us into the ten best movies of this summer.

Watch Video

Altercator

Jan 15, 2008
Mr Bob Chipman,

If you're reading this, just wanna ask:

What's your opinion on Megaman creator Keiji Inafune's recent Kickstarter campaign on making the new Mighty No. 9?

Are you supporting that creators like Inafune is bringing back old-school platform games that's being long denied by bigger game companies, Nintendo aside?

Would you make a Big Picture episode dedicated to Mighty No. 9?

Please respond.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
I was wondering how long it was going to take Bob to do the Critic-gag, and now I know the answer to that question!

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I think this whole Man of Steel fixation is becoming perverse. We get it. You didn't like it. Please stop molesting that poor dead horse.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
But, but... I already bought your book :(

Dirty Apple said:
I think this whole Man of Steel fixation is becoming perverse. We get it. You didn't like it. Please stop molesting that poor dead horse.
The whole point of comic book fandom is NOT letting stuff like that go x)

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Are we going to hear about flawed Man of Steel was yet again?
From Bob, this would be the first (or 1.5th time, if that is possible, given the nature of his original review). He originally regarded it as "notably imperfect," but several movies down he mentioned that his opinion had soured upon further reflection and implied that he was going to do a revisit sometime down the road.

That was actually the bigger problem with Man of Steel: when it was good, it was really good (Zimmerman's Score, the characters of Zod and Pa Kent, and the art direction being my three biggest takeaways). Those areas were so good, that some of the really serious flaws (the writing, the Lois and Clark dynamic, Jor El essentially telling his son how to act, etc.) were easily overshadowed by its strengths. But pretty much any in depth look and reflection with an attempt to screen out the strengths shows the real problems with the movie.

PS: I'm not a fan of Bob's hunger for levity in comic characters, and, when it comes down to it, putting it into a movie without the film feeling emotionally schizophrenic would be very difficult outside the genre of dark comedy.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Andrew Siribohdi said:
Are we going to hear about flawed Man of Steel was yet again?
I think they miss the point that its not a single movie. Its part of a series. If Superman in the sequel does the same overly destructive thing in MoS2, then fine, its rubbish take on him. But if in MoS2 Superman reflects on past events, learns and makes himself better person, then thats good character building. Showing how Superman changed. Batman wasnt Batman in Batman Begins until the last 3rd of the movie - Bruce learnt a better way to achieve his goal than fighting random prisoners.

So, hopefully. Imagine MoS as the the 2/3rds of Batman Begins, and MoS2 as the last 3rd. Fingers crossed.

M920CAIN

May 24, 2011
I'm sorry Bob, but I don't believe in reading book because they have... words & stuff. I promise I'll watch the movie made based on your book though.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
SonOfVoorhees said:
I think they miss the point that its not a single movie. Its part of a series. If Superman in the sequel does the same overly destructive thing in MoS2, then fine, its rubbish take on him. But if in MoS2 Superman reflects on past events, learns and makes himself better person, then thats good character building.
Actually, that's a seriously brilliant insight. If the director had given any indication that we'd see the evolution of the character, something we aren't really used to with the comic book version of Superman, then I'd have real hope this was going to happen. It may still happen, but since the director is acting like everything carrying on past this film will be a lucky coincidence, I don't have a lot of faith it will happen. If it does happen I'll be over the moon.

delroland

Sep 10, 2008
tldr:

Maniac
Pain & Gain
Elysium
You're Next
The Conjuring
The Great Gatsby
Fast & Furious 6
Iron Man 3
The World's End
Pacific Rim

You want the reasons, watch the video.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Enjoyed the list, Bob. I skipped a few of these, and while I'm not a horror fan and probably won't see You're Next or The Conjuring even after your recommendation, I may have to give Pain and Gain a try. Pleased to see that my four favorite films of this summer, Iron Man, Pacific Rim, Elysium, and The World's End, all made the cut.

orangeapples said:
I wonder which he liked more, Man of Steel or Green Lantern?
He'll almost certainly explicitly answer this next week, but my guess is Man of Steel by a long shot. Like Bob, I had really high hopes for Man of Steel, and the film, while not terrible, didn't deliver on them. Green Lantern didn't look or sound particularly good going in, and it wasn't much of a surprise that it was absolute crap. The sting of optimism unrewarded endures much longer than a negative opinion of a film everybody expected to tank, which I suspect is why Bob is hung up over Man of Steel after wanting it to be so much better than it was. It was almost certainly a vastly superior film to Green Lantern in Bob's eyes.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Yojoo said:
Enjoyed the list, Bob. I skipped a few of these, and while I'm not a horror fan and probably won't see You're Next or The Conjuring even after your recommendation, I may have to give Pain and Gain a try. Pleased to see that my four favorite films of this summer, Iron Man, Pacific Rim, Elysium, and The World's End, all made the cut.

orangeapples said:
I wonder which he liked more, Man of Steel or Green Lantern?
He'll almost certainly explicitly answer this next week, but my guess is Man of Steel by a long shot. Like Bob, I had really high hopes for Man of Steel, and the film, while not terrible, didn't deliver on them. Green Lantern didn't look or sound particularly good going in, and it wasn't much of a surprise that it was absolute crap. The sting of optimism unrewarded endures much longer than a negative opinion of a film everybody expected to tank, which I suspect is why Bob is hung up over Man of Steel after wanting it to be so much better than it was. It was almost certainly a vastly superior film to Green Lantern in Bob's eyes.
I think he was being sarcastic. Bob absolutely hated Green Lantern, but considering how much he's harped on Man of Steel post-review, one could be fooled into thinking he hated it too.

Personally I'm getting kinda sick of MovieBob's fixation with MoS. It feels like TDKR all over again, where he brings it up again and again and again to try to convince us that he was right about it. Bullshit. I liked MoS a LOT, and no amount of Bob's, or anyone's for that matter, geeky railing about "how it betrayed the character" and "Superman does NOT kill" etc. is going to change my view on that.

OT: Didn't see most of these movies, but I think these were mostly on the money.