The Big Picture: The Best Movies of 2012

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Best Movies of 2012

MovieBob gives us a Christmas present with the best movies of 2012.

Watch Video

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Batman didn't make the list. Hmmmmm. Personally, I agree with the decision (TDKR had plot and pacing issues), although I sense many people may be....a little annoyed by Batman's absence.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeaahhh... I really can't get behind the whole Avengers thing. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun movie and I enjoyed watching it. But I also found it rather... forgettable I suppose. The action was disappointing. Perhaps you have to be more familiar with the industry to appreciate its ambition, but just seeing comic book shenanigans on the screen did not even come close to impressing me.

On the other hand, I recently saw Cloud Atlas and yeah, it's pretty good. Granted, I might well be biased since I absolutely adored the book and I'm happy to see it get a movie that somehow manages to not suck donkeys. Although the book was still better. A movie, even a long movie, was never going be able to contain the sheer volume and density of each story. The Sonmi-451 arc in particular, my personal favourite, suffered a severe trimming. Also, I found the actions scenes decidedly flat and unconvincing.

Sonder Saunters

Oct 24, 2009
Typically I tend to agree with Bob's opinions on movies, games, and the like; I'm glad he did this. Especially on Christmas, because now I have the money to engage in the best this year had to offer. And if the third movie is as good as he's implying, tonight's gonna be a good night.

Conner42

Jul 29, 2009
When I got to number 3 I was thinking "wait a sec, he hasn't gotten to that movie yet....oh....is he?" And Moviebob did. I actually really like his number one choice.

The only two movies I haven't seen on this list are Casa De mi Padre and Ted, but even then, my list is going to be really different.

I'm waiting to see Zero Dark Thirty and Django Unchained before I make a list though.

Can't wait to see your worst movies now!

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Okay, taking bets now:

Which position will The Expendables 2 take? Personally, I cant say completely, but atleast the top five...

maximalist566

Jan 10, 2012
I hoped Skyfall will manage to get on that list. Well, if everybody had hated LotR as I do, it would have been there :)

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Disagree with the first two, and four more haven't made it over here yet (as far as I'm aware). Great.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I guess I just don't 'get' Tarantino. Don't get me wrong, his movies are entertaining, I liked Pulp Fiction but it didn't change my life. It was fun, irreverent, and entertaining. I'll admit to not seeing Inglorious Basterds, because it looked like his other movies, just another good action movie, so maybe I'm missing something. They're certainly not mindless but they're not mindful either, they really have nothing to say or really interesting stories to weave. To me Django just seems like Tarantino trolling the country. "Oh, you liked my story about Jews slaughtering Nazis? Well let's see how the south likes this one!" But is it a good STORY? Or is it just another fun, well-made and entertaining killing spree movie?

Those kinds of movies just don't seem worthy of the kind of widespread critical acclaim and Oscar nods that they always seem to get, it seems like people are paying for and praising the brand (Tarantino) and not the product which might have a hard time getting a Fresh rating on the tomatometer if the same movies were made by another director.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Just like a lot of critics, your top ten list is filled with things you saw recently. You saw Hobbit, Cloud Atlas, and Django recently, which I feel is a bit unfair to older movies from the year.

I've seen the Avengers a couple of times and I feel that you are overhyping the movie. It is nothing more than a dumb, loud explosion laden movie, the type of movie that we get every summer. It is the same formula that built Dark of the Moon. Light on plot, which needs to be paper thin at best because too much of it would detract from the action beats. Also, it's big on action set pieces.

Before anyone wants to correct me, I did not say Avengers is the same as Dark of the Moon. I said it's the same formula that built both. Formula does not dictate that one is executed better than the other. It is simply scaffolding for which the rest of the movie is built upon.

What Avengers did was confuse and muddle the conversation about comic book movies. Just because you were waiting for a comic book style continuity to leap from page to film does not mean everyone else was. If anything, it was a conversation that most people were not having because not enough people cared about it. Most people want to see a movie and went to see that.

Also, seen Cabin in the Woods and did not care for it. I really hate when people say it reinvented the Horror genre. The last time the horror genre was reinvented was with the Scream movies and it took eight years for the damage to be mostly reversed. All that I needed to know about the movie is it was sitting in the studios vault for a few years.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
No skyfall or batman??!?! GOOD!

I need to watch cloud atlas and End of watch (not on the list).

And avengers is amazing the first time round and then pretty stale thereafter

Yellowfish

Nov 8, 2012
Well, I kinda disagree about the whole Avengers thing. I've never read comics, like, at all. I live in a country where this kind of thing just isn't popular. So, I guess, I'd swap The Hobbit with The Avengers if I were making my own list of top ten movies of the year, just because I couldn't care less for all those people in colorful costumes, while Bilbo was one of the characters I grew up with. I know it's the other way round for most people. I'm not saying that The Hobbit is better than The Avengers, and I'm not saying that The Avengers is a bad movie, I just honestly can't see why people call it the best movie of the year. For me, it's just another movie based on a comic book.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
I also checked Bob's top 10 from the Boston Online Film Critics Association; it's basically the same movies, but in a different order, with the exception of #1 (which is the one that counts the most). I find it funny though that in the BOFCA list he included Zero Dark Thirty, but in here it seems to have been replaced with Casa de mi Padre