The Big Picture: The Best Movies of 2012

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
I know The Avengers is a good movie but its not the best moive to come out this year. At best maybe like the 8th best movie. Well it is your list so not like I can fault it.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
maximalist566 said:
I hoped Skyfall will manage to get on that list. Well, if everybody had hated LotR as I do, it would have been there :)
I'd wager Skyfall just barely didn't make the cut, along with Dark Knight Rises. Both good movies, but neither did anything shockingly spectacular like most of the films on this list. Only one I can't speak for is Django, cause it's not out yet and I personally hate Tarantino's style.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Shame Skyfall didn't make it but understandable, also I know some peeps are gonna ***** about how Bob placed Avenges so highly but, come on, thats Bob's bread and butter, YOU DON'T MESS WITH A MANS BREAD AND BUTTER!!! Wreck It Ralph isn't out in the UK till Feb... gonna be a loooooong wait.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Zhukov said:
Yeaahhh... I really can't get behind the whole Avengers thing. Don't get me wrong, it was a fun movie and I enjoyed watching it. But I also found it rather... forgettable I suppose. The action was disappointing. Perhaps you have to be more familiar with the industry to appreciate its ambition, but just seeing comic book shenanigans on the screen did not even come close to impressing me.
I've got a funny feeling that we're going to see a Big Picture video about the flaws of the Avengers in about 3 years. Right now Bobby's still in the post-"This-Didn't-Suck-That's-AWESOME!"-orgasmic bliss of the Avengers. He spent literally years stoking the fires for it (unlike most of the rest of us, who didn't give it a whole lot of thought) so he's going to have a bit harder of a time coming out of that bliss, but when he does he's going to look back at the Avengers, at his reaction to the Avengers, and will have to find some way of making a mea culpa without making a mea culpa.

Oh, and on the subject of TDKR not being on the list? Good. It didn't deserve to be on this list. It wasn't a top 10 movie, and just being Batman isn't enough to get it on any list.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Ronack said:
Urh said:
Batman didn't make the list. Hmmmmm. Personally, I agree with the decision (TDKR had plot and pacing issues), although I sense many people may be....a little annoyed by Batman's absence.
First comment is right on the money. xD Nolan's Batman is like the movie equivalent of the bible, and they're gonna be mounting a crusade for this injustice.
I dunno about that, really - TDKR got quite a bit of flack, and not nearly as much defense as I expected. I think many of the fans were annoyed with the way the movie seemed to play fast and loose with the fans loyalty, as if Nolan expected the fans to just fill in the blanks and go with the weaknesses of the plot.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
I really hope Disney doesn't milk Wreck it Ralph.
It was really one of the best Disney movies (not attached to Pixar) that I've seen in years and it would break my heart to see the spew out a bunch of sequels and spin-offs to make a quick buck.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I was actually a bit disappointed by Ted :(
I'm a big Seth McFarlane fan and the trailers looked great for this, but I left the movie feeling unfulfilled.
Maybe it's precisely because I had my hopes up and high expectations.

From that list I really want to watch Django, Lincoln, Wreck-it Ralph.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
daxterx2005 said:
I really hope Disney doesn't milk Wreck it Ralph.
It was really one of the best Disney movies (not attached to Pixar) that I've seen in years and it would break my heart to see the spew out a bunch of sequels and spin-offs to make a quick buck.
You do realize we're talking about Disney here right? (Straight to DVD sequels ahoy!)

OT: I haven't seen a lot of those movies yet but I agree completely with The Hobbit and Wreck-it Ralph. The Avengers is a love letter to comic book geeks so I don't really blame him for making it his number 1.

I'm wondering if he's going to be brave enough to put The Rising Batman movie on his hate list? I know he said he liked it, but I've been watching it a lot lately since we got it on video and I got to say, every time I watch it I hate it a little more because the plot holes become more obvious. And I'm sure The Amazing Spider-man will be on his hate list as well, hopefully he doesn't make it number 1.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
I'm a little disapointed that Argo missed out but I can mostly back this list.
Except for a few I haven't seen yet.
Damn it Australia.

Terragent

Jan 15, 2010
While I certainly can't say that this list wasn't predictable, it was still a little disappointing. Bob's reviews have consistently shown that his personal biases trump any considerations of quality (good or bad) when he looks at a film. The Avengers was mediocre. Unremarkable acting, a generic script with plot holes galore, no serious artistry in its filming or visual effects, and, well, nothing much happening. There weren't any moral dilemmas, there was no intriguing mystery, it was just a bunch of flat, predictable characters beating each other up.

Ignoring Skyfall isn't really anything other than a snub; it was just as much of an "impossible dream project" as The Avengers was, with the bonus of actually being a good film on top. Oh well. Some of us have stopped playing with action figures; Bob may eventually catch up.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Interesting list Bob, I really oughta give some of these a look. Also, I agree with his number 1 pick... but that's just me.

Can't wait to see your worst of list!

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Terragent said:
While I certainly can't say that this list wasn't predictable, it was still a little disappointing. Bob's reviews have consistently shown that his personal biases trump any considerations of quality (good or bad) when he looks at a film. The Avengers was mediocre. Unremarkable acting, a generic script with plot holes galore, no serious artistry in its filming or visual effects, and, well, nothing much happening. There weren't any moral dilemmas, there was no intriguing mystery, it was just a bunch of flat, predictable characters beating each other up.

Ignoring Skyfall isn't really anything other than a snub; it was just as much of an "impossible dream project" as The Avengers was, with the bonus of actually being a good film on top. Oh well. Some of us have stopped playing with action figures; Bob may eventually catch up.
Wow, like being a dick much? Having preferences is not the same as having biases! Furthermore, The Avengers was incredible. An amazingly witty script with the greatest action sequence I have ever seen making up its entire third act. And the acting wasn't unremarkable either, all the actors were perfect in their roles. And there weren't any plot holes that I noticed. Also, a film not having any "moral dilemmas" or "intriguing mystery" is not a legitimate criticism of a film like The Avengers, which is just about being a fucking awesome movie.

Eomega123

Jan 4, 2011
I watched this video RIGHT after getting back from the movie theatre, and there are three words over which Movie Bob and I cannot agree more.
Go. See. Django.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Worst of 2012?

I can't wait to see the new Spiderman make that list.

Well lemme rephrase that, I can't wait to watch angry forum posters get oddly defensive about the fact that a purely subjective list that is based completely on one man's opinion has a movie that you may not agree with.

Like why do so many people seem upset that MovieBob's film of the year is the avengers? The whole point of film of the year or game of the year, or whatever category people are giving out on this site is that it's an opinion.