The Big Picture: The Best Movies of 2012

Dec 3, 2011
I mostly disagree with Bob, but I was clinging to his arm when he reviewed The Dark Knight Rises. I felt I was the only person in the world that agreed that it was a mediocre disappointment of a sequel. Glad to not see it on the list.

Casa de mi Padre was shit, IMO. Ted was as uneven as a recent Family Guy episode. I've heard Django Unchained is awesome, although apparently Tino's use of the N-word is objectionable. I'm seeing Wreck-it Ralph in an hour - consider me excited.

No love for Skyfall? That was an exhilarating reboot.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
The only movie's I've gone to see at all this year are Avengers, Cloud Atlas, and The Hobbit. I must have amazing taste and instincts.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
I can understand the subjectivity of this list, but I can agree with Avengers being #1. That movie has too may issues to be there.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
I can agree or atleast understand where Bob is coming from with this list. I particularly agree with the Avengers as my favorite movie of the year. I've probably seen large chunks of it dozens of times at work due to it playing in the background but have legitly watched it from beginning to end like 6+ times.(which 3 of were in the theather. I went with my friends, my sisters kids and some girls who wanted to see it weeks later.) Which like bob, is merely our opinion as neither of us are going effect the box office of the film by liking it the most of the things we saw this year.

I also approve of the absence of nolan's third and weakest link in his chain of films. If that upsets any fans of the dark knight rises...you now have my permission to cry.

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
I really though that since this episode was on Christmas that you would talk about how you love and/or hate A Christmas Story.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I thought for sure that Lincoln the Vampire Hunter would be on there on the lower end (10, 9, or 8). Can't say I'd argue with anything he had up there though.

harryhenry

Jun 28, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Strain42 said:
Worst of 2012?

I can't wait to see the new Spiderman make that list.

Well lemme rephrase that, I can't wait to watch angry forum posters get oddly defensive about the fact that a purely subjective list that is based completely on one man's opinion has a movie that you may not agree with.

Like why do so many people seem upset that MovieBob's film of the year is the avengers? The whole point of film of the year or game of the year, or whatever category people are giving out on this site is that it's an opinion.

It's not that he dislikes the film it's that he acts like everyone disliked the film except the people who ***** at him yet it received positve reviews from most critics and lots of Spiderman comic fans consider it the best as well.

He also acts like it's a commercial failure yet it made over $750 million and is the 46th highest grossing movie worldwide.

The main reason he hates it is because Sony dumped Sam Raimi and he HATES that since along with Zack Snyder they can do no wrong in his eyes even though there both mediocre at best directors.
When did he say that it flopped? i remember that he said that he hoped it would flop, not saying that it actually flopped. can you give me a quote where he said that it flopped?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Man, I really hope TDKR is NOT on the Worst of 2012 movie. Stoked Avengers made #1! Isn't it a bit premature to put Django Unchained here if it JUST came out today?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Markunator said:
Also, a film not having any "moral dilemmas" or "intriguing mystery" is not a legitimate criticism of a film like The Avengers, which is just about being a fucking awesome movie.
You, sir, are my new favourite person.

OT: Nothing much to say about this list other than: wow. Just look at all these comments who don't seem to understand subjectivity. You know what? The registration process should include a link to something like this, and not allow people to register until they pass.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
still some movies i dint had the chance to watch. few of them are not even out yet in cinemas like lincoln. today i might see the hobbit wile for the rest i still have to wait for the dvd release.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Moonrise Kingdom?
Amour?
Beasts of the Southern Wild?

Bob needs to start watching some good movies and not only mainstream crap.

mrjoe94

Sep 28, 2009
The movies he would normally pound on (The Expendables for one thing) I normally like. That's not to say I hate the movies he enjoys it's just that sometimes I like mindless action films. From this list though I really wanna see:

Cloud Atlas: Mainly to see what all the talk is about.

Ted: Got it, not watched it yet.

The Hobbit: Because it's The Hobbit and the fact he didn't blast it makes me excited.

Lincoln: Not normally my sort of film, but I don't mind branching out and I feel my whole family will watch it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Strain42 said:
Worst of 2012?

I can't wait to see the new Spiderman make that list.

Well lemme rephrase that, I can't wait to watch angry forum posters get oddly defensive about the fact that a purely subjective list that is based completely on one man's opinion has a movie that you may not agree with.

Like why do so many people seem upset that MovieBob's film of the year is the avengers? The whole point of film of the year or game of the year, or whatever category people are giving out on this site is that it's an opinion.
Because it's the cool thing to do. Dosen't matter what he says or does, people will throw a fit over it.

Yojoo

Sep 9, 2010
Terragent said:
While I certainly can't say that this list wasn't predictable, it was still a little disappointing. Bob's reviews have consistently shown that his personal biases trump any considerations of quality (good or bad) when he looks at a film. The Avengers was mediocre. Unremarkable acting, a generic script with plot holes galore, no serious artistry in its filming or visual effects, and, well, nothing much happening. There weren't any moral dilemmas, there was no intriguing mystery, it was just a bunch of flat, predictable characters beating each other up.

Ignoring Skyfall isn't really anything other than a snub; it was just as much of an "impossible dream project" as The Avengers was, with the bonus of actually being a good film on top. Oh well. Some of us have stopped playing with action figures; Bob may eventually catch up.
He posts movie reviews on The Escapist, dude. Bias is to be expected, and I doubt Bob would try to say that he's unbiased. Thinking The Avengers wasn't the best movie of the year is a totally valid opinion (and one I would personally share), but to say it was a bad movie is something that the vast majority of movie critics would disagree with.

Of course, if Dark Knight Rises makes the "worst of" list this year, I'll stop defending Bob. Not sure what his problem with that film was. It was no Dark Knight, but it was still great.

snd_dsgnr

Feb 14, 2009
Terragent said:
While I certainly can't say that this list wasn't predictable, it was still a little disappointing. Bob's reviews have consistently shown that his personal biases trump any considerations of quality (good or bad) when he looks at a film. The Avengers was mediocre. Unremarkable acting, a generic script with plot holes galore, no serious artistry in its filming or visual effects, and, well, nothing much happening. There weren't any moral dilemmas, there was no intriguing mystery, it was just a bunch of flat, predictable characters beating each other up.

Ignoring Skyfall isn't really anything other than a snub; it was just as much of an "impossible dream project" as The Avengers was, with the bonus of actually being a good film on top. Oh well. Some of us have stopped playing with action figures; Bob may eventually catch up.
I'm sorry, but I just have never managed to grasp why people think bringing up "bias" is any kind of an argument when you're talking about reviews. You're watching a video on one man's opinion of the top movies of the year, if you want a review aggregation there are several websites where you could just have the movies that came out in 2012 listed numerically.

I mean honestly, do you think that there is some sort of set of objective standards for this sort of thing? Some people are better at articulating their opinion than others, but it's all still opinion.